Shopping onboard voyager?

ann135

Hello,

Can anybody tell me if they sell a good selection of Estee Lauder in the duty free shops please?

Also can you buy the wrist bands for seasickness on board and if so do you know the approx price?

Thanks for your help.

Hello,

Can anybody tell me if they sell a good selection of Estee Lauder in the duty free shops please?

Also can you buy the wrist bands for seasickness on board and if so do you know the approx price?

Thanks for your help.

When I was on the ship last month they had a very limited selection of Estee Lauder products, mostly skin care and some make-up. As far as U.S. prices are concerned, it is either the same price as the U.S. or slightly more expensive. I see you are from Wales so it may be less expensive for you. I have not seen the wrist bands, but then again, I never looked for them since I am fortunate enough not to suffer from any seasickness.

gnomie :)

Suggest that you purchase the wrist bands before you go. Here a link to Amazon.co.uk showing the Sea-Bands. http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=sea%20wrist%20bands

IMO, the best place to purchase Estee Luder products is in the Duty Free shops in the airport. You could check prices at the airport and then onboard the ship to see which offers what you are looking for and either purchase it onboard or on your return home.

I wouldn't buy Estée Lauder onboard, though that is a line that they carry of which they do carry a limited selection, and which I use regularly. I just don't think it would be a good value. But I live in the US and in a city with many stores that carry the line and which offer very frequent bonuses.

But if I had a big OBC to burn, I guess that would be one way to do so.

Hourglass mascara . . .hmmm . .ladies, I'll have to check it out the next time.

Peggy, on the cruise where we had no luggage, one of the first things I did (after purchasing jackets at the Boutique) was go to the spa and purchase this mascara. BTW, heard from British Airways today and they are refunding all of the expenses we incurred during the time we were "luggageless" (obviously a made-up word) See you in November!:D

The best cosmetics onboard are sold in the spa. The brand is Hourglass. Paraben free, etc. A wonderful line that I continue to buy from Sephora

OK - I'm bait - what is so great about Hourglass cosmetics - curious minds are eager to learn more.

Hello,

Thanks for your help.

Unfortunately, I can tell you all about the sea sickness wrist bands. They sell for $18 and they come in three colors. Red, gray and navy blue. They do work well. The only problem is after wearing them for three days I got some swelling in my hands. I hope you don't need them!

Unfortunately, I can tell you all about the sea sickness wrist bands. They sell for $18 and they come in three colors. Red, gray and navy blue. They do work well. The only problem is after wearing them for three days I got some swelling in my hands. I hope you don't need them!

My wife is very prone to motion and seasickness. She took over the counter Bonine on both of our past Regent cruises and had no problems. The key is to start the Bonine the day before travel ( flights) and get it in your system 24 hours pre cruise.

Good luck!

HanaleiSailor is correct. I ate heartily during a storm that tossed the Navigator from Charleston to Bermuda by taking his advice. My wife didn't because she never gets seasick; she had to miss dinner and subsisted on green apple slices...

I have not heard of Bonine where do you buy it. A friend who sails recommended sturgeon but it is not available in Canada so I plan to get some in Lisbon before we board.

Bonine is available in the U.S. (you can probably get it on Amazon.com). We purchase sturgeon at a pharmacy in England (online). Not sure which works better. We take 1/2 to 1/4 of a pill when the seas are expected to be choppy and they both work fine.

golfer21: A friend recommended "sturgeon"??!! The fish or the caviar?

That seems like an overly expensive seasickness remedy, though I believe it may be covered, along with side shot of vodka, by Russian health insurance...

(Is this perhaps an autospell "word")

Edited by JPR

golfer21: A friend recommended "sturgeon"??!! The fish or the caviar?

That seems like an overly expensive seasickness remedy, though I believe it may be covered, along with side shot of vodka, by Russian health insurance...

(Is this perhaps an autospell "word")

The correct name is Stugeron. I'd be surprised if Regent doesn't give out meclazine or something like it at the guest services desk. Other cruise lines do. Edited by marinaro44

The correct name is Stugeron. I'd be surprised if Regent doesn't give out meclazine or something like it at the guest services desk. Other cruise lines do.

Regent does give out "something" but we much prefer to have our own supply. Here is a link to where it can be purchased http://www.unitedpharmacies.com/Stugeron-Forte-Cinnarizine.html .

• 1 month later...

Based on the information provided here, I went to check out the Hourglass cosmetics and picked up an eyeliner which is something I need. I was quite shocked to see that one eyeliner cost $36 - I sure hope it is a great eyeliner, I have never spent that much before on just an eyeliner. However, since I have a nice OBC, I consider it a gift.

I wonder who selects the merchandise for the boutique. While there are racks and racks of lovely clothing for men, including Ralph Lauren polo shirts in every color, the selection for women leaves much to be desired. The selection is quite limited and again this is my opinion only, I think most of the clothing is downright ugly. Also, I was surprised that since we just came out of Miami, that the stock was not replenished.

In terms of the Voyager, it is my understanding that the "new" boutique has opened (next to the computer center - where the ugly art place used to be:-) Maybe someone will find the time to post from the Voyager.

In terms of what is available in the Boutique, it changes throughout the cruise. Not everything is put out. When we were on the Voyager (without luggage), I could not find things in my size (pants started at size 20 or something like that). At night I would see the staff bringing new merchandise up from "somewhere" and there would be new items available the next time the Boutique opened.

• 4 weeks later...
The mascara and liner are great. But so is the primer and powder...flawless finish. Perfume and paraben free. Their lipsticks and glosses are also great. I own all of their brushes...best use of my OBC

Based on the recommendations here, I decided to check out the Hourglass makeup in the spa - not only is it quite pricey at normal retail, the prices charged in the spa are about 15% higher than the normal selling price in the states, including the Hourglass website. Anyone who knows anything about high end makeup knows that the markup and profit is HUGE so I was quite shocked to see the additional markup.

For that matter - I was checking out some of the prices of the perfumes in the "tax and duty free" boutiques, only to find the prices charged more than what one would pay at department stores in the U.S. Plus more often than not, if one purchases at the correct time, there can be a gift with purchase.

I guess since many people are using their OBC to purchase the merchandise, they just charge whatever they want. However, I have a friend who is a corporate attorney for one of the well known cosmetic companies and they strictly forbid any authorized retailer from selling the products for any price other than what the company allows, whether it be higher or lower. I can't imagine that Hourglass is any different and am curious of anyone knows whether the Canyon Ranch locations in the States also charge higher than stated retail prices?

BTW - the makeup must be amazing - at least according to the reviews posted all over the internet.

The make-up is amazing -- do not care what they charge for it on board (yes -- can get it cheaper on Amazon but not while I am on the ship). Cruise ships have different laws (tax and otherwise) than places in the U.S. Keep in mind that you can pay 10% tax in the U.S. on the products.

I do wish that the Boutique carried more items for people that may have forgotten something at home. Their toiletry supplies are quite limited IMO.

By in large, "Tax and Duty Free Shops" are a total rip off. Virtually any item that I might find for sale in one of these shops (liquor, watches, cosmetics, etc.) located in an international airport (London, Tokyo, Frankfurt, etc.)......I can purchase the same identical item in the United States for a far less price. Perhaps the prices in these shops are a "bargain" for foreign shoppers (who pay exorbitant taxes in their own countries) but for Americans, the items in these shops look to be overpriced.

I can get a 750ml bottle of Glen Livet single-malt Scotch for about $27 at our local liquor stores in Virginia or Arizona. Why would I think $45 dollars (converting from local currency) would be a "good buy" in the "duty free shop" in London? Or a $200 Seiko watch in the "duty free shop" in Rome, that I can buy online (Amazon) and have it delivered right to my house the next day in Arizona?

Perhaps it's a "good deal" for Europeans and Asians, but no "bargain" for us. I rarely buy anything overseas. And particularly not in ship stores or in tourist cities/shops around the world.

The make-up is amazing -- do not care what they charge for it on board (yes -- can get it cheaper on Amazon but not while I am on the ship). Cruise ships have different laws (tax and otherwise) than places in the U.S. Keep in mind that you can pay 10% tax in the U.S. on the products.

I do wish that the Boutique carried more items for people that may have forgotten something at home. Their toiletry supplies are quite limited IMO.

What do you mean by paying a 10% tax on products in the US?

Also, I was not referring to Amazon when mentioning it was cheaper at home, I was referring to Neiman Marcus, Nordstroms's, Bloomingdales, - the high department stores.