In Hong Kong for 24 hours

Martin and Lindsey

We will be stopping in Hong Kong for 24 hours on our way to Sydney for our cruise. I would really appreciate some answers to my questions :

It the best place to stay Hong Kong island?

How long from the airport to Hong Kong island?

Best way to travel? Boat? Train? Bus? Taxi?

It looks like Victoria Peak is a must do. What else shouldn't we miss?

Is there a city tour we could do?

What about a boat ride to see the floating markets etc.?

Any other recommendations would be appreciated. :)

Get a hotel in Tsim ShTsui (TST), which is on the mainland at the tip of the Kowloon peninsula, or in Wan Chai on the island. I prefer TST (eg the Salisbury hotel) because everything's on your doorstep, including the cross-harbour Star Ferries, whereas much of Wan Chai is built on reclaimed land and accessed by long walkways. And the evening lazer shows are seen better from the mainland side. Transport-wise, there's little difference either side of the harbour - the mass-transit uses tunnels, there are road tunnels, and the ferries operate a continuous shuttle, which will cost you no more than 20 minutes total and a great way to cross.

There is public transport from the airport, but taxis are inexpensive - I guess the equiv of around 30 to 40USD. But you will need HKD, and the driver will add to the meter price the toll for a bridge from the airport and perhaps a cross-harbour tunnel. Takes about 30 mins to TST, a little longer to a hotel on the island. Taxis are small, only suitable for two if you have luggage.

Yes, Victoria Peak. But there are often long lines for the funicular, so consider the bus one way. And the view often disappoints because of air pollution - check the view of the Peak from the harbour.

Add Stanley Market (on the island, and take a bus) and Temple St night market (on the mainland at TST, up Nathan Road).

There's a Hop-on bus, quite expensive especially considering that public transport - the mass-transit trains, the ferries, the buses and trams - is so ridiculously good and cheap. Ferries and trams are a fun way to travel.

Usually we like hop-ons, but we didn't rate it in HK. Others will doubtless disagree.

Not sure there are any floating markets in HK.

JB :)

Stay in Kowloon near Star Ferry on mainland. Take taxi from Airport to your hotel, taxis in HKG are cheap . Shopping excellent in Kowloon. Nearest MTR station is Tsim Tsa Tsui . Cross the harbour by ferry to Hong Kong island. Take bus 15 to Victoria Peak and come down on Peak Tram . Stanley market on Hong Kong Island take bus from Central Bus Terminal on HK Island inland from Star Ferry Terminal . Night market is in Temple St, Jordan in Kowloon . Nearest MTR is Jordan . For the adventurous you can also go to the Giant Buddha on Lantau Island, ask for directions or tours at your Hotel .

Floating restaurants at Aberdeen are excellent by night .

(Never heard of any floating markets) .

• 1 month later...

Book with Joe from Big Foot Tours for a fabulous walking tour. We were with him for about 4 hours, including a dim sum lunch at the end. It was the highlight of our trip! Go hungry because he'll bring you around and show off some of HK's best foods, as well as history & culture :)

I am a Hong Kong native. May I offer slightly different perspectives? You can use this link to obtain more information: http://www.discoverhongkong.com/ca/see-do/events-festivals/highlight-events/summer-fun.jsp?page=6&WT.mc_id=109446&utm_source=gg-ca&utm_medium=ss&utm_campaign=hksf-2015&utm_term=hong%20kong%20tour%20guide&utm_content=s6IU6Ha0q|pcrid|81482402579|pkw|hong%20kong%20tour%20guide|pmt|b|pdv|c|

Select a hotel within 10 minutes walk to a subway station. Price and convenience wise, I would pick Mong Kok and Causeway, instead of Tsim Tsa Tsui and Wan Chai. Mong Kok is on the mainland, just 3 subway stations away from Tsim Sha Tsui and is much affordable. Causeway Bay is a bigger shopping district on the island, and is more convenient than Wan Chai, though there are like 2 subway stations apart. Most tourists spend their time along the Mong Kok - Tsim Sha Tsui and Causeway Bay - Wan Chai corridors.

From the airport to your hotel, you have a few transportation options. Taxi is most convenient. The cost is Mong Kok/Tsim Sha Tsui is like 50-60 USD and to Causeway Bay/Wanchai is close to 100 USD. No tipping is required. Every time I visit Hong Kong, I take an airport bus to connect with to the nearest subway station, i.e. Tsuen Wan and use the subway to go to Kowloon (the mainland) or the island. You need small change though, so I usually buy a bottle of water to break up a $500 bill. Subway provide changes when you purchase tickets but buses require exact tender. Most, if not all, Hong Kong native with Octopus, i.e. plastic cash.

In Causeway Bay, you do shopping in departmental and small boutique stores. Go to Jordan (Temple Street) for night market and Mong Kok for day market (two street north of the subway station). Go to Victoria Peak and then walk south down the hill towards Aberdeen to the floating restaurant, which is not hiking but a leisure walk. You can always grab a taxi if you get lost. You can go to the Buddha which to me is a tourist spot without charm. If you have another full day, go to Cheung Chau to see the life of Hong Kong locals and to explore coastal geological features. Even better is the Hong Kong Geology Park in Sai Kong. Go to Sai Kong bus station and take a taxi to the very end of the park. Then walk back which will take about 4 hours.

If you want to explore what Hong Kong people do at 3 a.m. go to Mong Kok to people watch or do your shopping on Nathan Road in Tsim Sha Tsui. These stores open 24 hours. Hong Kong does not sleep.

If you have a weekend in Hong Kong, go to horse racing on Saturday to see how all Hong Konger participate in gambling. And, on Sunday, go to Victoria Park to see the hottest debate in politics (you can understand it but it is fun).

Edited by Peelboy
abc

Our Metropark Hotel Causeway Bay was an excellent choice, not too expensive and a great view of the harbor and the city because it is located at the park. 5 minutes from a subway station and the double-decker tram. We decided to eat in their restaurant one night, chef's special buffet: outstanding! I splurged on all the sea food I had never seen before. My husband ate conservative fare.

In case nobody has mentioned it; buy an Octopus card in the airport (senior discount!). It works on all public transport except on the airport train. You swipe it and it deducts the fare. At the end they gave us back the left over money in the subway station near the hotel. We took a taxi to the cruise port.

Many subway stations are vast underground hubs. Best know beforehand which exit to take! We took the Victoria Peak Tram early in the morning, no line!

Peelboy, many thanks for your Hong Kong recommendations. We plan to visit post cruise for 3 nights/4 days at the end of February 2016.

Your idea of a walk from the Peak is very interesting. Approximately how long would this take? Also, you mention floating restaurants. Is that where we should have dinner or lunch? If so, should reservations be made?

Cheung Chau Island was on our list of 'to sees'. Is it easily walkable?

We are staying at the Renaissance in Wan Chai. Any other touring or restaurant suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Jan

Cheung Chau holds a special place in my heart. Spent many happy summer days there when I was little. It is a walking island, no vehicle access, as far as I can remember.

For those who are 65+, make sure you get the senior discounts on transportation, especially if you are using the metro, huge difference for your wallet.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294217-i1496-k5667254-Paying_for_elderly_octopus_cards-Hong_Kong.html

We live in Singapore but we go to Hong Kong now and then for short holidays. Plenty to do in Hong Kong. Here are some vids of what we saw/ate.

Stayed at Eaton Hotel, 380 Nathan Road. From the Airport, took an Airport Bus to Nathan Road. Cost was just 99 HKD for the four of us (2 adults and 2 kids)

[YOUTUBE]-3PGA6AUMH0[/YOUTUBE]

Walking to Airport Bus at Hong Kong International and video of the journey.

[YOUTUBE]pPeNyas_Gkg[/YOUTUBE]

Went to Hong Kong Ocean Park for the day. Fun for the family. A rather big place. This was on the cable car ride.

[YOUTUBE]tWbAKVlYQrI[/YOUTUBE]

Ate at what is said to be the least expensive Michelin one-star restaurant in the world. This place is Tim Ho Wan at Fuk Wing Street.

[YOUTUBE]hJmWPYmXumE[/YOUTUBE]

Taking a walk around the Sham Shui Po area.

[YOUTUBE]CoF6-J4LEjE[/YOUTUBE]

More links here.

http://guitar123foodandtravel.blogspot.sg/p/hong-kong-and-macau-2015.html

Hope these are useful.