Barcelona hotel

vanessa5076

Hi

We are sailing with RCL in June from Barcelona.

Can anyone let me know whether the Arc La Rambla hotel is anywhere near the port?

I have heard that there are shuttle buses but unsure whether we can get these if we dont pay for transfers.

Thanks for any help.

Hi

We are sailing with RCL in June from Barcelona.

Can anyone let me know whether the Arc La Rambla hotel is anywhere near the port?

I have heard that there are shuttle buses but unsure whether we can get these if we dont pay for transfers.

Thanks for any help.

When in June is your cruise? Is it on Harmony?

I'm on the 7/1 Brilliance cruise out of Barcelona. I'd initially booked at Arc La Rambla, but the guy I've been working with for the pre-cruise tours I'm doing recommended that I stay in the L'Eixample area and avoid La Rambla because it can be very sketchy, especially on the weekends. He's local, so I went with his suggestion to change areas and am excited about my hotel now - Acts Atrium Palace.

I'm on the 7/1 Brilliance cruise out of Barcelona. I'd initially booked at Arc La Rambla, but the guy I've been working with for the pre-cruise tours I'm doing recommended that I stay in the L'Eixample area and avoid La Rambla because it can be very sketchy, especially on the weekends. He's local, so I went with his suggestion to change areas and am excited about my hotel now - Acts Atrium Palace.

Was the pre-cruise company Barcelona Day Tours ? They sent me a map of the area to avoid. https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zynhd068Z-JU.kZ0AYKyndGhc

I have a reservation for the Arc La Rambla right now. Now you make me wonder if I should look elsewhere.

The Eixample district is the 'best' area of Barcelona.

While the area shaded on that map provided has 'always' been a 'sketchy' area, it has improved a great deal compared to the past when it was not an area I would even enter in the daytime. It certainly still has pockets that are undesirable.

Any hotel actually on Les Ramblas itself would be 'fine'. This area is heavily policed now and incidents are rare on the main street. One has to always be 'observant' on Les Ramblas at any time of day and very much so at night.

Barcelona is a bit tricky in that some hotels are just one block of that main street and it is that last stretch closest to the hotel entrance where you have issues.

Fortunately there are so many great hotel options in Barcelona.

Was the pre-cruise company Barcelona Day Tours ? They sent me a map of the area to avoid. https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zynhd068Z-JU.kZ0AYKyndGhc

I have a reservation for the Arc La Rambla right now. Now you make me wonder if I should look elsewhere.

No, Rainbow Barcelona. :)

Out of curiosity I checked the map. We stayed in Barcelona twice. In 2013 we spent several days there post-cruise and in 2015 we again stayed several days prior to a cruise. Both times we stayed at the Hotel Barcelona Universal on the Ave. del Parallel. According the the map we were on the edges of a sketchy area, but both times we felt perfectly comfortable, and if we ever return for a few days stay will most likely book that hotel a third time.

Out of curiosity I checked the map. We stayed in Barcelona twice. In 2013 we spent several days there post-cruise and in 2015 we again stayed several days prior to a cruise. Both times we stayed at the Hotel Barcelona Universal on the Ave. del Parallel. According the the map we were on the edges of a sketchy area, but both times we felt perfectly comfortable, and if we ever return for a few days stay will most likely book that hotel a third time.

Snap! This was our experience also. We stayed in Hotel Barcelona Universal for four nights, Thursday - Sunday, last February and found the location in El Raval to be great. It was a ten minute walk to both Las Ramblas and the seafront, and there was a metro station outside the hotel.

I would describe El Raval as a working class, rather shabby, but very atmospheric area. Many of the buildings had washing hanging from their balconies which to us seemed typically Mediterranean. To get to Las Ramblas we walked down Carrer Nou de la Rambla which must contain more mobile phone shops than any other street in Europe. We dined in Raval most evenings and walked back to our hotel between 11pm and midnight. We never felt unsafe, in the dark February night, and there was no public disorderliness whatsoever. This was the off-season and I don't know whether the area would be much noisier in the summer. Las Ramblas itself was jam-packed with people, even in February, and I imagine it must get unbearably crowded in the summer.

Eixample is the 'best' area of Barcelona in that it is the most affluent. We found it rather sterile, in truth. It is full of big name, international shops that are to be found in any major city, and the staff greet you in English when you enter. We were just window shopping as we couldn't afford their prices. It does have some magnificent Modernista buildings though.

I am giving our experience of the Raval district and not specifically of the Hotel Barcelona Universal. As we were staying in the off-season, we got an excellent rate on their top of the range jacuzzi suite. The hotel's location was great, but I have no knowledge of what its generality of rooms are like. We are going back there in three weeks for another four night stay. I can recommend La Biblioteca Gourmande restaurant in Raval. It's nothing fancy, but the food is good, the staff friendly and the clientele predominantly local. Last year, we got an excellent three course lunch, with a glass of wine, for around €14.

Dermot

The area around the Barcelona Universal is certainly mixed. The problem with the area is not the residents of the neighborhood itself, but the fact that in the late evening to early AM there are several nightspots that attract a bit of a rough crowd and problems do sometimes arise when this crowd is being put out into the streets upon the closing of the venues. This is a late night and very early morning issue and would not effect most guests.

This hotel area map shows the regions of the city. The Eixample does have a couple of 'exclusive' areas, but for the most part is just a prime restaurant and nightlife zone and the preferred residential area of the city.

http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/hotels/hotelmaps/barcelona-hotel-map.html

I haven't even stayed there yet, and I am already in love with Casa Camper. I have spoke with them several times already for our trip in July and they have been so helpful. You have to book with them directly, but they are so helpful and knowledgeable about the whole Las Ramblas area.

I have changed my booking several times with no issue, even tho my res was supposed to be no cancel rate... I can't wait for July!

Have visited Barcelona 3 times with a 4th visit planned this year (all 2 days pre-cruise).

Past 3 times have stayed directly on Las Ramblas (Continental and Montecarlo) - this year since the Montecarlo has shut down have chosen another property about 1 block off Las Ramblas closer to Placa Catalunya.

Of course you need to be careful when walking around but a bit of common sense and preparation is all that is required (I don't wear any flashy jewellery, don't display phones/cameras and only take what little cash I might need at the time...)

I love Barcelona, esp the Las Ramblas area and would not want to discourage anyone from staying around that area - just be careful (as you would in any large city).

Just been today looking at hotels in Barcelona for September read many reviews on The Arc La Rambla Hotel not one mentioned the area as being "sketchy". I'm seriously thinking about booking a room there. As with any big city use your head and be aware of what's going on around you.

• 3 weeks later...