**What beach would you go to POST Huriccane???

Dalton51

We are going to stop here as a port and was wondering which beach is this best beside the air plane beach. We have been here. Thanks .

We just got back from st martin we went to oriant beach

The seaweed was about a foot thick on the beach and smells bad

We went down to the south end ( clothing optional) and it was a lot better

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

We just got back from st martin we went to oriant beach

The seaweed was about a foot thick on the beach and smells bad

We went down to the south end ( clothing optional) and it was a lot better

Was there still sea weed on the south end?? Can you post pics maybee for all of us?? Thanks

Was there still sea weed on the south end?? Can you post pics maybee for all of us?? Thanks

I don't have any pictures. We went just south of Pedro's (clothing optional) end of the beach and the seaweed wasn't that bad.

Seaweed must come and go. I was at Orient about 10 days after the hurricane and there was no seaweed in the water or where the sea meets the sand.

There was small pieces throughout the sand closer to the beach clubs.

I was at KonTiki Beach club which is midway and there was plenty of beach front.:)

We were there Wednesday from 9 to 6 on the Breeze.

I had my heart set on Orient Beach, since I hadn't been there in years.

I knew about the seaweed from all the posts.

As we went to look for the Orient beach taxi, a gentleman warned me about the seaweed. He suggested we go to another beach.

I said no, I'll take my chances. It can't be that bad.

Our van was full and off we went.

We wanted to be dropped off in the middle of the beach. We all got out at Kakao Beach Club and reserved a time for a return pickup. Fortunately, we all wanted to leave at 2p. We got to the beach around 10a ship time.

When I walked thru and reached the beach, it was so ugly. :eek: I had to digest and take it all in. Beach and ocean disgusting. They had someone raking the seaweed in a truck. He was going up and down the beach. I saw a few people in the water swimming. You have to get past the seaweed for that.

Hubby was ready to go within 5 minutes. He'd seen enough. I said no we're here. Might as well stay and make the most of it. We stayed at Kakaos. A gentleman came over. We got 2 loungers and umbrella for $20. I took out my book and iPod. It was hot outside and sunny, so that helped. There were other people already there.

I looked up and down the beach. It really took a devastating hit. A lot of beach bars were closed up. I looked to my left and all the way down to the end, I could see the beach and ocean was way more cleaner. There was more people playing down that section in the ocean.

A server came over and I ordered a Painkiller and Caribe beer.:D. Very good drink. Hubby stayed at the bar drinking. Closer to noon, the water start looking better. Lot's of seaweed was washing up onto the sand from the ocean.

After a few more cocktails and listening to Fleetwood Mac, I decided to get in the ocean. The water was a nice temperature. Sun was beaming and I stood in knee length water.

I kept my headphones on listening to the Mac. Suddenly, it wasn't so bad.:cool: More folks got into the water. It really started looking better. Hubby ordered us the shrimp platter and the waiter bought it out to me. They were jumbo sized. Very good and hubby said expensive.

I had good music, food and drinks. And felt bessed to be in St. Maarten. All the seaweed that was on the beach didn't phase me anymore.

I have to honestly say, when 2p came, I wanted to stay longer.

If you asked me would I go back knowing about the seaweed, I would say no, I would do research and find a different beach for the day. It was a lot of seaweed. I do emphasize the word lot.

If you decide to go, be prepared. Maybe the day you're there the seaweed won't be that bad.

Hope my review helped. I was asking the same questions before we left.:)

Edited by Cruzinbabe06

I just came back from being on Reflection also on Wednesday ,Agree A TON of seaweed and the smell at one end was just awful. I am glad I rented a jeep and drove over to the airport area and mullet bay, Huge waves though but seaweed free.

Edited by Bosjoe

No clue why people like Maho Beach. Guess some like the very low flying airplanes but the beach itself is not good. :confused:

LuLu

The allure of Maho is definitely the planes and the atmosphere and the fact that all this action happens at "a" beach. It's not an all day beach day beach to me but for an hour, hour and a half, it's hard to beat it!

• 2 weeks later...
we were at Orient on xmas day, Orange Fever was great, $7/pp lounge, umbrella and a free drink. Seaweed wasn't a problem, but there is some - varies daily. cab w/6 or more costs $7/pp.

Heading there last week of jan. so you think we should be clear of seaweed/normal by then? only one of our days we did not plan... due to reading posts from good people like yourself:D thank you all for info.. work too hard for my $ and want all to be good.

We took a cab and got there @ 9:30, stayed til 3:30, tell the driver to drop you at Orange Fever, they also have a restroom in their restaurant, and their lounge cushions were better than others. If you dont like the way it looks, just walk down the beach.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Forums mobile app