Ferry to Playa - Sea Sickness?

jb456

We did it twice and it was beyond horrible. People getting sick into blue bags everywhere. They were handing them out. I don't get seasick but everyone else seemed to. The boat was rocking really bad. There was a few times my wife was scared it would tip over.

We did it twice and it was beyond horrible. People getting sick into blue bags everywhere. They were handing them out. I don't get seasick but everyone else seemed to. The boat was rocking really bad. There was a few times my wife was scared it would tip over.

It will completly depend on the weather. If there's a weather system going through it might be rough. If it's rough, many people get sick. If it has been calm seas with little wind, it will be smooth and you might have an easy ride. Just depends on the weather systems and what Mother Nature has in store for you when you are there.

If you get seasick....odds are you'll feel it a bit. Take precautions like bonine or ginger or whatever your remedy is that you usually use, and you should be fine.

:eek: must have been very severe swells! :eek:

Almost everyone got seasick when I was on it. I didn't but I was smart enough not to eat a large breakfast first as most people did. The ride back was much smoother and I didn't see anyone sick then. Going back to Cozumel in December and staying on the island where there are many things to do.

How bad is it really on that ferry?

Have read many reviews stating sea sickness. Many youtube videos you see a few people pale looking like they might throw up lol.

I live in the island and have been on the ferrys (4 to 6 times monthy minimun) so many times, it is like a 45 minutes fly on a B747, if you dont mind to fly on a jumbo jet, you wont a have a problem, as in flying now and then there is bad weather and there are some turbulence, is about the same in here

Edited by Kletina
yes

It can be rough. As I said earlier, if you're going to take the ferry, pack your bonine, dramamine or patch and try to prepare yourself.

if we hadn't been on it several times we'd be scared to go after reading this! LOL...

As the last2 posters said it's nothing to dread unless you're extremely prone to motion sickness in which case you probably wouldn't be on a cruise in the first place. But yes, if you are concerned or are cruising during the low season it can pay to be prepared. But for most folks it's a non-issue.

• 2 months later...

There are two boats running that route. One single hulled and one double hulled.

The double hulled ship is far more stable.

We dubbed the single hulled ship the Vomit Comet.

Not too bad overall though. Some people get sick, most don't. I'm going back in January and I'm definitely taking it again. PDC is worth it!

Wow. We have done it several times and never got sick or saw anyone getting sick. Once it was pretty rough seas, water splashing everywhere, but didn't see a single person get sick.

Of course, maybe it was the crowd... we were on the "regular" ferry over leaving from downtown pier, not a special trip for the cruisers from their pier. It is the same boats, same route over, but maybe the cruise ship people get seasick easier than the locals.

We were fortunate to sit on the lower level at the very front on the morning ferry ride. We could see the attendants rushing to people with the plastic bags--but since we were facing forward, we did not actually see the people getting sick. The attendants were very busy that morning. The ride back in the afternoon was rougher. We sat upstairs for that one. Once the ferry started moving, the spray came through the canvas and got us wet. We moved inside to some seats in a small room. I did not see anyone get sick on that trip.

The bottom line is folks who have experienced problems on smaller craft in open waters may experience a problem here depending on the weather. Folks who aren't sure and are concerned should realize that yes - you are in a smaller boat in somewhat open waters so any rougher sea conditions could be difficult.

Sorry there just isn't a better answer...

We've been in 7' waves on cats out of SXM and on very rough seas on monohulls out of STT and we've never had a problem other than clinging to the open deck of a monohull sailboat while tacking our way to STJ and being pelted by a driving wind and rain. So we are fortunate compared to many of our companions we've had the pleasure to meet over the years. My wife always helps the staff provide aid to fellow passengers who are ill, not sure where she got her sea legs from but I certainly don't have them! :rolleyes:

But the ferry between Coz and PDC isn't as bad as those situations.

We rode the ferry to Playa to take a bus tour to the Tulum Mayan Ruins. My wife was apprehensive but didn't have any problems. I didn't see anyone get sick. We sat inside, on the lower level. It was a comfortable ride in both directions even though it was bouncy.

The ferry we were on was actually a very large two level boat. If you interested in seeing a picture of the one we were on, you can spot it in the slide show my wife made with pictures she took on our excursion. It's the red, white, and black boat and I think it is the fourth or fifth picture from the beginning of the slide show.

Merry Christmas and happy cruising. It's a great way to travel!