Delta or AirFrance out of ATL to BCN?

Iamthesea

We have flown Delta to Rome, and USair to Rome. Liked Delta's service better, but USair's individual entertainment systems. For this next cruise, we seem to have a third choice of AirFrance. Any experience with them?

Thank you

It has been a few years since I last flew Air France long haul (Niamey - Paris - Chicago), but I enjoyed them. Comfortable enough planes, friendly enough service, pretty decent food, good entertainment options. I would probably put them ahead of both Delta and (definitely) US Airways. Also, you can get Delta miles on Air France (just something to keep in mind when you book).

I don't really have experience with their short haul product, but I cannot imagine it's much different (and the flight is so short...).

You call Atlanta to Barcelona short? lol Anything over a few hours is long to me. I want to be as comfortable as I can in Economy class. I assume the seat width/leg room on AirFrance is in line with the other carriers? Not that those are comfortable with me being tall and slightly broad. :D

Thank you for the tip on gaining Delta miles. Once this trip is over, I will have enough miles for a free ticket to someplace close by. ;)

You call Atlanta to Barcelona short? lol Anything over a few hours is long to me. I want to be as comfortable as I can in Economy class. I assume the seat width/leg room on AirFrance is in line with the other carriers? Not that those are comfortable with me being tall and slightly broad. :D

Thank you for the tip on gaining Delta miles. Once this trip is over, I will have enough miles for a free ticket to someplace close by. ;)

I call Paris to Barcelona short. You'll have to connect in Paris to get from Atlanta to Barcelona on Air France.

And yes, seat width/legroom is pretty standard on Air France - you probably won't notice a difference compared to Delta or US Airways.

Oh, no. The flight is direct from ATL to BCN. No stop or connection. We actually fly out of TRI, goes to ATL and then straight to BCN.

Then you're on Delta. What you're looking at is a Delta flight with an Air France flight number (since they are partners, they codeshare). Does the Air France flight number have 4 numbers, perhaps Air France 3607?

Air France only flies Atlanta to Paris; to get from Atlanta to Barcelona on Air France aircraft, you'll have to go via Paris. Delta does fly Atlanta to Barcelona nonstop, and Air France puts their flight number on it as a codeshare, but the aircraft and crew are all Delta.

Oh, no. The flight is direct from ATL to BCN. No stop or connection. We actually fly out of TRI, goes to ATL and then straight to BCN.

It only looks like delta, bringing up the info.

Air France 3607 (Operated by Delta)

dep:1715

arr: 0820+1

Yes, that's it. hahaha I feel dumb. :o

Any chance that the Delta planes have improved with their entertainment since 2008? It's the Airbus A330 (Wide-body Jet)

Also, trying to decide which side trip to take after the cruise. Paris, Madrid or London. Would really prefer Paris. I have worked out a schedule based on our travel days, timing, etc. and the following is the only way to have a side trip to Paris. Booking multiple trips does not work with the timing.

OK, we would book a round trip from TRI to BCN. After the cruise, we would get off the ship (docks at 6:00am) and take a flight from BCN to CDG leaving at 10:30am. My TA, who travels a lot, says that is enough time to get to the airport and check in. I am hesitant.

After staying in Paris for two nights, we would fly back to BCN on a non-stop flight leaving at 7:40am and arriving aback into BCN at 9:20am. Our flight from BCN would then leave for TRI at 11:40am. Is this schedule doable?

OK, we would book a round trip from TRI to BCN.

Why wouldn't you just book a ticket TRI-BCN CDG-TRI? Have you checked out pricing for that? Just use the multicity option when looking for flights

After the cruise, we would get off the ship (docks at 6:00am) and take a flight from BCN to CDG leaving at 10:30am. My TA, who travels a lot, says that is enough time to get to the airport and check in. I am hesitant.

I wouldn't do this, but I have a low risk tolerance for missing flights.

After staying in Paris for two nights, we would fly back to BCN on a non-stop flight leaving at 7:40am and arriving aback into BCN at 9:20am. Our flight from BCN would then leave for TRI at 11:40am.

Again, I'd book multicity in the first place, and skip this extra leg and hassle. You always have a risk booking two separate tickets. You miss your connection from BCN to the US and you are out-of-luck.

Yes, that's it. hahaha I feel dumb. :o

Any chance that the Delta planes have improved with their entertainment since 2008? It's the Airbus A330 (Wide-body Jet)

Also, trying to decide which side trip to take after the cruise. Paris, Madrid or London. Would really prefer Paris. I have worked out a schedule based on our travel days, timing, etc. and the following is the only way to have a side trip to Paris. Booking multiple trips does not work with the timing.

OK, we would book a round trip from TRI to BCN. After the cruise, we would get off the ship (docks at 6:00am) and take a flight from BCN to CDG leaving at 10:30am. My TA, who travels a lot, says that is enough time to get to the airport and check in. I am hesitant.

After staying in Paris for two nights, we would fly back to BCN on a non-stop flight leaving at 7:40am and arriving aback into BCN at 9:20am. Our flight from BCN would then leave for TRI at 11:40am. Is this schedule doable?

The A330s were inherited from Northwest, and indeed have better onboard entertainment than some of the Delta planes (especially some of the 2008-era Delta plane). In this case, it would be the A330-300, which does have individual TVs in coach class (though, from my understanding, it's not On-Demand).

Why wouldn't you just book a ticket TRI-BCN CDG-TRI? Have you checked out pricing for that? Just use the multicity option when looking for flights

]Also, trying to decide which side trip to take after the cruise. Paris, Madrid or London. Would really prefer Paris. I have worked out a schedule based on our travel days, timing, etc. and the following is the only way to have a side trip to Paris. Booking multiple trips does not work with the timing. [/[/color]QUOTE]

To explain further, using the multi function route, the flights over and back would have us not only going through CLT or ATL, but also Newark, Washington or Phillie, with short connection times on some. We would like to travel as directly as possible and have plenty of times to catch the flights.

I wouldn't do this, but I have a low risk tolerance for missing flights.

As I said, we are hesitant. Would we have to go through customs when we leave BCN to go to Paris/vice versa, or would that wait until we leave for the second time? Or at all? I know we go through in ATL.

Again, the side trip is not set in stone. Also, I could look into London for better times.

Again, I'd book multicity in the first place, and skip this extra leg and hassle. You always have a risk booking two separate tickets. You miss your connection from BCN to the US and you are out-of-luck.

The A330s were inherited from Northwest, and indeed have better onboard entertainment than some of the Delta planes (especially some of the 2008-era Delta plane). In this case, it would be the A330-300, which does have individual TVs in coach class (though, from my understanding, it's not On-Demand).

Thanks so much! I really like the itinerary on this flight.

When looking up flights, I have been using Yapta/Kayak. I assume that all the charges are in the shown price, with the exception of luggage cost. I will be booking directly through the carrier website. Should I go to Delta, or AirFrance?

BTW - These are for September/October flights. Shouldn't I go ahead and book?. Flight from TRI to BCN is $1232.

Thank you!

When looking up flights, I have been using Yapta/Kayak. I assume that all the charges are in the shown price, with the exception of luggage cost. I will be booking directly through the carrier website. Should I go to Delta, or AirFrance?

BTW - These are for September/October flights. Shouldn't I go ahead and book?. Flight from TRI to BCN is $1232.

Thank you!

On international itineraries, your bags will be included - no difference between Delta or Air France in that case.

$1,232 seems maybe a bit high, but I don't really think it'll go down a lot. It has a 90% chance of going up, and a 10% chance of going down. It's up to you to choose which odds to play ;)

We have flown Delta to Rome, and USair to Rome. Liked Delta's service better, but USair's individual entertainment systems. For this next cruise, we seem to have a third choice of AirFrance. Any experience with them?

Thank you

Just my opinion but if the international flight is really Delta and not a code share, I consider Delta service to be a contradiction in terms.

DON

Not if i take two checked bags. hehehehe My DH would kill me. :)

I know the price seems high, but from what I have been reading, it is likely to stay that way with the oil prices as they are. We paid a little over $1000 to fly to Rome last May on a similar flight (stopped in CLT and straight to Rome), and $1600 in June of 2008 for a Non-stop to Rome from ATL. :eek: Flights were booked late in the game, and really never went down.

The A330s have full AVOD in coach. The monitors are now non-touch screens, so the problem of the kid playing a game "on your back" is gone. Believe this is fleet-wide for both the -200 and -300 models.

We recently flew ATL-BCN on DL A330-300 roundtrip (11 H&J in EC)...Sorry liked the touch screen better...Many on both round trip flights were having lot's of problems with the handset and many programs weren't working..I wanted to rip mine out of the console :eek:...Darn..love the onboard Trivia...It was a long flight.

The A330s have full AVOD in coach. The monitors are now non-touch screens, so the problem of the kid playing a game "on your back" is gone. Believe this is fleet-wide for both the -200 and -300 models.

We recently flew ATL-BCN on DL A330-300 roundtrip (11 H&J in EC)...Sorry liked the touch screen better...Many on both round trip flights were having lot's of problems with the handset and many programs weren't working..I wanted to rip mine out of the console :eek:...Darn..love the onboard Trivia...It was a long flight.

We had the controls on our USair flight. It took awhile to get used to the handset, but worth it not to have that seat back being pushed constantly.

Well, we have decided to drop the idea of flying to another port while we are over there. Not enough time. :(

I tried to book our flights tonight through AirFrance. AirFrance is not recognizing the TRI. I tired all combinations of the Tri-Cities (as we are called in TN) and nothing was recognized.

If I call them, don't they charge now?

I was able to go to the Delta site and found the same flight pattern with our preferred times, but the tickets are $50 more pp. Thus we would be spending $100 more that we could spend elsewhere. :( Flight numbers are different, so I don't think it is the same airplane.

What should I do? I'll check back in the morning. It's bedtime. ;)

Did your TA, who said you had plenty of time to get to the airport, say what would happen if you do happen to miss the flight? Fee to change flights? Maybe pay a higher fare, as well? Are there other flights that day you could beput on? I'm sure the TA would pay any extra costs you incur ;-)

Did your TA, who said you had plenty of time to get to the airport, say what would happen if you do happen to miss the flight? Fee to change flights? Maybe pay a higher fare, as well? Are there other flights that day you could beput on? I'm sure the TA would pay any extra costs you incur ;-)

We have decided to scratch the Paris idea. May go to Madrid by train or something, or maybe there is something closer by that we should see?

I'd just book on Delta, as long as you're satisfied with the schedule and price.

Thanks, Zach. I think you are correct. :)

We have decided to scratch the Paris idea. May go to Madrid by train or something, or maybe there is something closer by that we should see?

Thanks, Zach. I think you are correct. :)

I like Madrid. I actually like it more than Barcelona, but I think I am in the minority.

Zaragoza (aka Saragossa) is a neat city about halfway between Barcelona and Madrid. Andorra (one of Europe's smallest countries) is also a neat place to check out and say you've been to. Even closer, Taragona is a nice coastal city south of Barcelona, and the small coastal towns around it are lovely too. Finally, a bit further south, Valencia is absolutely fantastic - I'll be there again in about a month for a conference and can't wait (I'm not a huge fan of Spain, but I love Valencia).

In conclusion: Valencia and Zaragoza are my two favorite cities in the eastern half of Spain (including Barcelona and Madrid).

Archived