Help me love PR!

sazzifrazz

I have been to San Juan 3x as a port of call over the years. The first time we toured Old San Juan and ate at Hard Rock. The second time we toured the forts. The third time we did the Bacardi tour. I just can't seem to find the love for this island. I feel like I must be missing something because so many love it. Next July we will be there 7am-2pm. Thats such an odd time that I am really struggling with what to do. It will be myself, my husband and our 12 year old son (who has never been there before). We aren't ones to want to hike in a hot and humid rainforest, or just walk from bar to restaurant. Should we rent a car and try to see more? Should we stay on the ship an enjoy it less crowded?

I have been to San Juan 3x as a port of call over the years. The first time we toured Old San Juan and ate at Hard Rock. The second time we toured the forts. The third time we did the Bacardi tour. I just can't seem to find the love for this island. I feel like I must be missing something because so many love it. Next July we will be there 7am-2pm. Thats such an odd time that I am really struggling with what to do. It will be myself, my husband and our 12 year old son (who has never been there before). We aren't ones to want to hike in a hot and humid rainforest, or just walk from bar to restaurant. Should we rent a car and try to see more? Should we stay on the ship an enjoy it less crowded?

Sorry you chose to eat at the Hard Rock...so many other great options...our favorite for breakfast La Bombonera or Cafe Mallorca.....lunch Parrot Club or Barracinas etc. etc.

With a 12 yo you might have fun doing a zipline tour.

We are big cat lovers so everytime we've been there we always leave extra time (and bring cat treats) and go visit the cobblestone cat colonies in Old San Juan...very walkable and also free. We did the bio bay kayak tour which was great but that won't fit in with the hours you're there. Have you ever tried mofungo? That's the best thing to eat in PR...its awesome!

We are big cat lovers so everytime we've been there we always leave extra time (and bring cat treats) and go visit the cobblestone cat colonies in Old San Juan...very walkable and also free. We did the bio bay kayak tour which was great but that won't fit in with the hours you're there. Have you ever tried mofungo? That's the best thing to eat in PR...its awesome!

Oh!!!!! I would love that. How do I find the cat colonies? We were planning on a on-our-own walking tour while in San Juan and this sounds like a perfect addition!

I agree with the Old San Juan on your own advice above. Have a great breakfast of a mallorca and cafe con leche at La Bombonera.

28603336894_a96d3a181f_h.jpg

Then catch the free trolley and ride until something strikes your fancy. We enjoyed the Paseo de los Presidentes and the other memorials along Avenida de la Constitucion.

29225794545_d95849950d_h.jpg

29192009596_294299d6be_h.jpg

And El Capitolio is worth a visit too.

36948945691_8a5f0e2094_k.jpg

37090342505_5aae7abcc2_b.jpg

We love Puerto Rico and it is our favorite embarkation port. We like to go a few days ahead to explore different parts of the island. We have been east and south, so on our next visit, we will head west. But for a port stop day, there is always something to explore within walking distance of the ship.

There is also a park that looks interesting. It's on our to visit list. https://sanjuanpuertorico.com/parque-luis-munoz-rivera-park/

I think we will wander around old SJ and find our way to Chocobar Cortez for brunch! That sounds different.

First thing I usually do is hang a left out of the pier and walk towards the pink quay side building.

IMG_1600.jpg

Past it and down to the fountain,

IMG_1643.jpg

then around the wall

100_1035.jpg

100_1035.JPG

to the red door.

100_1039.JPG

Lots of shade and places to rest. Until the end it's pretty flat. Can go into the old city or simply turn around and retrace one's steps.

I think we will wander around old SJ and find our way to Chocobar Cortez for brunch! That sounds different.

If you want the best place to have a drink and some local food while you people watch I would suggest NoNo's and say hello to Louis he will treat you right and youll never forget the place.

I agree with the Old San Juan on your own advice above. Have a great breakfast of a mallorca and cafe con leche at La Bombonera.

28603336894_a96d3a181f_h.jpg

Then catch the free trolley and ride until something strikes your fancy. We enjoyed the Paseo de los Presidentes and the other memorials along Avenida de la Constitucion.

29225794545_d95849950d_h.jpg

29192009596_294299d6be_h.jpg

And El Capitolio is worth a visit too.

36948945691_8a5f0e2094_k.jpg

37090342505_5aae7abcc2_b.jpg

We love Puerto Rico and it is our favorite embarkation port. We like to go a few days ahead to explore different parts of the island. We have been east and south, so on our next visit, we will head west. But for a port stop day, there is always something to explore within walking distance of the ship.

There is also a park that looks interesting. It's on our to visit list. https://sanjuanpuertorico.com/parque-luis-munoz-rivera-park/

Such great photos and such a great reminder of why my ex husband and I loved Puerto Rico. We took off by foot from the ship and just explored. What a great day.

On weekdays, there are free guided tours of La Fortaleza (the current residence of the governor) between 9 am-3 pm. Note adults need to show picture ID.

Felisa Rincon de Gautier Museum offers free guided tours Mon-Sat. She was the beloved mayor of San Juan for more than 20 years and lived in the house for a few years. It is chock full of awards and memorabilia including her very impressive collection of hand fans.

The Casa Blanca Museum (Juan Ponce de Leon's family lived there) is also free admission and self-guided tour.

The Museum of the Americas has permanent and temporary exhibits for a small fee.

The Tourism Office (there is one across from the pier in Old San Juan) has a pamphlet listing all the museums and also maps for suggested walking tours.

We saw plenty of cats (all tagged, I guess to help identify and count) when we took our own walking tour of Old San Juan. We just took a left off the pier (we were on a RC ship- Anthem) and found the base of the wall along the ocean. Beautiful flowers, fountains, statues. Continue through the big Red Door- you will eventually see El Moro. Walk into Old San Juan instead, enjoy the square, Calle Fortalga, the Cathedral. It has so much charm. Open your heart and love Old San Juan!