Amalfi Coast Tours - Which type of transport

hjs007

Hi All,

Myself and partner are traveling on the Epic in September. We are planning on booking a private tour from Naples, around the Amalfi coast line.

I have two question from anyone who has done such a tour. We are trying to decide which transport to choose ie a Mercedes Van or a Mercedes car. Some tour companies suggest a van because you get a better view when traveling.

Has anyone any advice or experience. I would prefer a luxury car such as S class merc for comfort etc but obviously want what is best.

Also has anyone experience from tour companies in this region and the vehicles and service they received. I have got prices and they all differ quite a bit.

Thanks in advance

We had the Mercedes Van with the huge windows.

That was great because there is so much to see along the Amalfi Coast.

There were 6 of us though, so we really didn't have a choice.

I would think the back seat of the car would really block a lot of the view, but may also trade off for more comfort.

For 2 people, the price would probably be more for the van than the car, too.

Unless you specifically wanted to travel alone, you could check with those on the roll call for your cruise to see if others would want to join you and keep the price more reasonable per person!

We're going back in October!

HAVE FUN!

:)

There were 7 of us who hooked up through CC. We had the van and it was great. We kept the same seats all day and that way both sides see the water one direction or the other. We did lunch in the most wonderful restaurant outside of Positano. Did Pompeii in the late afternoon. A chockfull day but one I will remember forever.

We did the Amalfi Coast in a van in January. The visibility was spectacular in all directions! A car with head rests could not offer the view that the van did. There were 8 of us and the driver. It was the best day ever!!!:)

I just got back Saturday from 12 nights on the Spirit and our day on the Amalfi Coast was our favorite! This was my second tour with the same company. Both times we had a Mercedes van and had no issues with comfort or visibility. First time was a group of five, and the second a group of eight.

Honestly, I think the more important issue is the tour company. There may be others on your roll call who would like to join you and share the cost (and the fun). There is also some great info on the Ports of Call board about your options for tour companies.

I just got back Saturday from 12 nights on the Spirit and our day on the Amalfi Coast was our favorite! This was my second tour with the same company. Both times we had a Mercedes van and had no issues with comfort or visibility. First time was a group of five, and the second a group of eight.

Honestly, I think the more important issue is the tour company. There may be others on your roll call who would like to join you and share the cost (and the fun). There is also some great info on the Ports of Call board about your options for tour companies.

I will be taking the same cruise next April and we are looking at tours. Will you share the name of your tour company? I think that is OK.

Thanks!

we joined a van group on our roll call with share a shore excursion in Italy and it was great and much better pricing than with the cruise ship.

The van held 8 people and I think every seat had great views plus we had the ability to ask our driver to stop when ever we wanted to for pictures.

You can book these vans for 2 people or set it up to fill it up with 8, the more people in the van the cheaper the price was.

As another poster stated it was a full day and very memorable!

Have fun

We toured the Amalfi Coast with Simply Amalfi. We had a van. We traveled down the coast in the morning, had lunch in Amalfi and visited Pompeii in the afternoon. There were 2 groups of 8 in two vans. We formed the tours from our roll call. You can definitely see more from the van.

It was a wonderful day. The only disappointment was lunch in Amalfi. I wished we had ask to stop at a place over looking the water. We also hired a guide for Pompeii. Well worth it.

That day and the Cinque Terra were my 2 favourites. Enjoy.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

OP you may be referring to the tour provided by the cruise line but we went with a private company and had a very good experience.

ATTACH]315336[/ATTACH]ImageUploadedByForums1402158934.655427.jpg.70ddc8edc2cd8b09c9ad60fcc57dd6ee.jpg

We used Discovery Guided Tours in 2011 and it worked out wonderfully. We had a group of 8 and did a tour of sorrento, positano, and ended up in Pompeii. It was excellent. We had good views along the amalfi coast with multiple stops for photo opportunities. We had lunch in positano. The guide they used for Pompeii was excellent also. We recommended them to a friend who used them last summer and they also had a good experience.

. [ATTACH]315335[/ATTACH]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

ImageUploadedByForums1402158907.556238.jpg.88666649d8b3ae4636e883c08fe302ac.jpg

I will be taking the same cruise next April and we are looking at tours. Will you share the name of your tour company? I think that is OK.

Thanks!

Sorry for the delayed response! I would be very happy to share his info :) I used Mariano from Pleasantravel.com both last month and in 2007. For both this cruise and the last, his tour was the highlight! While he is not one of the "big" names and doesn't have a fancy website, you will see he has excellent reviews on TripAdvisor.

The thing that sets him apart, is that he will stop at his families farm (upon request) where they have lived for 18 generations. It gives you a true feel for how people live in this region. He and his wife are both very warm and inviting. We got to sample some bread, salami, wine, and limoncello, all of which they made. A truly unique experience :D