Bahia Mar Hotel In Ft. Lauderdale

niuchick02

Has anyone ever stayed at Bahia Mar in Ft. Lauderdale? My fiance and I are going on our honeymoon cruise (first cruise ever) on the IOS in December and we are flying down 2 days before -- I had seen this hotel on-line and wondered if anyone recommended it. Is it close to port? Is it clean?

Do you recommend any other hotels? I am open to suggestions

(It's our honeymoon -- there's no concern for budget)

Has anyone ever stayed at Bahia Mar in Ft. Lauderdale? My fiance and I are going on our honeymoon cruise (first cruise ever) on the IOS in December and we are flying down 2 days before -- I had seen this hotel on-line and wondered if anyone recommended it. Is it close to port? Is it clean?

Do you recommend any other hotels? I am open to suggestions

(It's our honeymoon -- there's no concern for budget)

In January, when we stayed overnight in the Yankee Clipper, our friends were at the Bahia Mar and said that they REALLY liked it. We saw it, and it looked nice, and the location is VERY good.

Congratulations & best wishes for a long & happy marriage!

Try the Fla. ports site. There's a local who has given all kinds of info plus she has a blog for FLL..Bequia. Cost was a factor for us in March but so was parking & shuttle since we were driving. Winter means there are no decent "cheap" hotels anyway. We stayed @ the LaQuinta Inn in Hollywood and it was very nice. Spec. Gov. rate was the least $$ @ $135 when we booked but went up very quickly. The better chains are $250 & UP! It was the only safe place other than the port she'd recommend for parking. We had a rm on the back side & had a lovely view of the lake, gazebo, pool & well kept grounds. Good luck!

We stayed at this hotel a few years ago. We loved it. Great location across from the beach. Right next to the water taxi for sightseeing, shopping and restaurants. You don't need a car. The pool area is very nice indeed - the pool was warm and clean. Great views over the marina and the inland waterway. Great views from the higher floor rooms. Wish I was there now. It's not ultra-comfortable, just very nice in a great location for a good price. Hope you have a great time!

We stayed there a few years ago. Just one night pre cruise. Good location but the hotel itself was somewhat rundown (shabby carpeting, drab paint). I thought I read somewhere that they had done extensive renovations, not sure how accurate the information was.

Many people confuse two different hotels in Ft. Lauderdale, the Bahia Mar & the Bahia Cabana. The Bahia Mar is a nice hotel, make sure that you ask for a tower room. The Bahia Cabana is not very nice and I wouldn't suggest that you stay there. The La Quinta is in Hollywood and not on the ocean but is a nice hotel, so the choice is yours. Congrats on your marriage.

We stayed at the Bahia Mahr about a month ago and it is a tired, old and drab property. The caroets are worn the paint and paper is peeling the TV's are 25 years old. I really think you could do better somewhere else.

The location is great, right across from the beach and the marina is beautiful.

The hotel is dreadful!

I'm one of Merion Mom's friends who stayed there in January. (Hi Carol!) I really liked it! We had a oceanfront tower room, so could look out across the highway and beach to see the ocean. I would ask for an oceanfront tower room on an upper floor, so as not to see the highway. I didn't notice any worn carpet or peeling paint or paper. I didn't notice the TV, as we did not go there to watch TV!! The location is great, right on the ocean and just across the marina from the watertaxi, and not very far from the port. They have an elevated walkway over the highway so you can get to the beach easily.

Whatever you decide, congratulations on your wedding!

Try PelicanGrand.com - it's a newly renovated hotel - about 7 miles from the airport right on the beach.

The Marriott Harbour Beach is a also very nice - but a very large convention center hotel - not sure if you want that type of atmosphere.

Check out Trip Advisor.

Good Luck.

We stayed at the Bahia Mar in January 2007. Great location, close to the port and we never saw any peeling paint or worn carpets. We had an ocean view tower room and it was very nice. Large room with a small balcony.

The picture in my avatar was taken from our room, sunrise on embarkation day. :)

Loved being right by the ocean and the elevated walkway to get to the beach was great! As others have mentioned, it is also very convenient to the water taxi.

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding! :)

I stayed at the Courtyard by Mariott FLL Beach in March 08, and it was wonderful! Great room with ocean view (across the street from the beach!) and sitting area w/ 2 flat screen tvs. I bid $80, 2.5*, fll beach, (first time I had ever used priceline and now I am sold) on priceline and got this property for $80 + tax for the night. The pool area overlooks the beach, and I spent a great afternoon people watching from the pool deck. This was the day prior to my Princess cruise, and it was wonderful.

This hotel has been completely refurbished and is great.

fyi - I could look out my window and see the Bahia Mar, which I had originally booked at $179 per night as a back-up before getting my priceline bid room.

I am going to book this hotel for one night as a pre cruise hotel. We will be flying all day as we have a layover and I thought this hotel would be great for my kids to run the beach in the early evening hours and early morning before we head to miami for the port.

Question is which room to choose? I am a real stickler on hotel beds and have read the reviews and wonder if the marina view is ok or should i pay the extra few dollars and get the ocean view which indicates a tower room?

Also, my kids would be thrilled with tshirts or junk like that when we get there....is there shops within walking distance to this hotel? And also is there food places that are within walking distance? We will have a car but im sure the kids will have pent up energy to burn..

Thanks so much!

The marina view rooms are located in a 4 story annex building. The garden view rooms are also located in this bldg. If you are lucky enough to get a room in this building with a balcony overlooking the marina it is fine. There are only 4 rooms with balconies on each floor facing the marina and the same on the other side with the garden view (garden view rooms actually overlook the parking lot). I have stayed in the tower building and also had the marina view. If you have a balcony room I would prefer having the marina view as you are right at the marina with great views of the boats and yachts and you can also see the beach to your left. There are no shops close to the hotel. There is a small deli on the grounds at the front of the hotel. Also the sun trolley stops in front of the hotel every 15 mins so you can take it to shops, grocery store or whatever.

Yes there are shops within walking distance. It is a longer stroll but an enjoyable one. There is outside dining at the Bahia Cabana. Nothing fancy. The food is served on paper plates but is reasonable & good. There are quite a few restaurants once you pass Las Olas.

Stone 61 you really need to check out Courtyard Marriott Beach on Priceline. Its newly renovated, has all the "touristy" shops nearby. There is a 7-11 across the street that my friend bought a t shirt for $3.99 that cost $12.99 at the tourist shops. Also Walgreens ( southbound sun trolley ) had plenty of tourist stuff much cheaper. My DH lost his cap in the New River and bought a replacement for $12.99 in the tourist shops but afterwards could have gotten the same hat for $5. Maybe these savings aren't much to othewrs but I love a bargain!

We've stayed 4 different times at the Bahia Mar and have a reservation there for this coming January. Of the 4 visits, 3 we had very nice rooms, on our last visit our room was a bit run down, but nothing that was too concerning- yes carpet was worn, but clean. I have heard that they will be rennovating, but don't know the timing.

Like another said - the Bahia Cabana has a very casual outdoor restaurant that is inexpensive and good (a short walk from the Bahia Mar). In the evenings they also have music. There is a liquer store within walking distance as is a Bubba Gumps and lots of little shops.

Our favorite feature is the walkway to the beach - very quiet and clean. We stop at the little deli at the Bahia Mar in the mornings and get a bagel or whatever and walk over to the beach - a great way to start your cruise.

Archived