Project Runway?

BlueHerons

I must look at the clothing with a different eye. Oscar was my last pick, his stuff was just so old and tired looking to me. I also thought Nick was the worst mentor the entire season. I felt like all he really wanted to do was go in and design the clothing, not inspire the designers. I really wanted Shan to win, but that was thinking of the season overall, not just the finale.

I still like Mondo, even with bad behavior. Sam should have won, his designs were fresh, young and innovative. Ah well, another show watched and deleted from my DVR.

I would like to see Under the Gunn repeated with other mentors, such as Seth Aaron, Leanne Marshall, and Korto.

I, on the other hand, would like to see Under the Gunn never, ever repeated, except as a possible substitute for waterboarding in high security detention centers! :eek: Does this mean I won't watch it if it comes on again? Not necessarily! :o Does it mean I will continue to watch it only in recorded format so I can fast forward through all the yakkity-yak and personal dramas and simply listen to the initial challenge and watch what actually comes out of the design process in the end? Yep! The shame of this show for me is that I used to really like and admire Tim Gunn, until he did this show. It just doesn't play to his strengths, I think, as the Project Runway format does. "Mentor of students?" Yes! "Mentor of mentors?" No thanks! JMO

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Anybody else going to watch Season 13? Season premier tomorrow (7/24) at 9/8 central.

Thanks for the reminder. I'm going to set up TIVO now! :) I'm back... the first hour 8pm EDT is to introduce the new contestants. 9pm the competition begins. Two hours of fun or frustration, depending on their "theme". :rolleyes:

Edited by 5326jan

We will be visiting relatives tomorrow night, but plan on catching up on Friday when we get back home. Did you all see the videos they have posted on mylifetime.com? My daughter and I watched them last week. Looks like a good mix of designers.

Yes I must admit I didn't see that coming on the result.

This is the first time in awhile that we have no hometown favorite with viewing parties and lots going on ... so now I need to figure out who to root for, when the nerves settle down for them a bit.

I completely understand the judge's decision for the win. And, I understand why the other designers did not get it at all.

It's a question of world view and experience.

Remember that they LOVED Sandhya's looks to get into the show. They weren't my taste just like they wouldn't be most people's (in America). However, they were incredibly fresh and reflect the vibrancy of India. Actually, I liked her design for this show better than the clothes she showed in advance.

The other two top looks were nice, but were they anything to really cause excitement? Those judges have been there/done that a million times. They've seen a lot. But they've never seen Sandhya. If she can up her time management/craftsmanship, she could go far.

That doesn't mean I'd wear that dress (assuming I had the body) in a million years.

On the other hand, I would have kept Jefferson over Mitchell. But that might have just as much to do with personality.

Emily was lucky to be safe. That corset thing over the flow-y dress was all wrong. Ugh.

Anyone willing to go out on a limb and pick a winner? I can see Char going all the way.

Anyone willing to go out on a limb and pick a winner? I can see Char going all the way.

I think it takes a couple weeks for most of them to learn the way around the workroom and the personalities and the time management. I too like Char, but it is just too early to pick a winner .. maybe the week after next.

DVR set to tape the whole season....I was also surprised at the winner...Loved Char's outfit, skirt with the pockets. Then I would love to see them do a whole season of clothing that the "real woman" can wear in her everday life, work clothes, to evening clothes.

Like seagoingmom..I also fast forward....straight to the runway show...that is all I care to see...just don't care to sit for an hour and listen to their bickering and their personal problems. Show me the fashions and be done with it! Looking forward to the next few weeks. So far I haven't been able to figure out who I want to root for. That may take a couple of weeks.

Hey Ladies, Even Drew watches this program with me!!! :)

Being the cynic I am, I think there is something going on behind the scenes that caused Sandya to win -- something regarding trying to be more "multicultural" or whatever, maybe based on viewer surveys? Whereas I understand the reasons the judges looked positively on Sandya's outfit (creativity and "innovation') it was just an ordinary shift dress with ripped sleeves, after all! It looked to me like an 8th grade home ec project -- one of mine, actually! :o I have no problem with Sandya having been safe or even in the top, but winning? :eek: I don't think so...

Frankly, I was surprised they didn't take on the Moslem woman, Nzinga, among the 15 contestants. All that was really said about her was Heidi's comment they she was showing "three versions of the same dress." The judges said something like that about some of the others that they did pick -- unflattering comments like "I don't like anything on your rack..." I personally would like to have seen just how far Nzinga might have been able to go with the "conservative" vibe. We probably all remember Justin's Mormon "superfan" (Season 12) for whom he designed a very flattering, conservative dress which she and the judges all loved. I was very gratified to see Justin design a stylish dress that didn't "bare all" -- very much unlike Angela's "slut pants" or Jefferson's "nursing" crop top which would have become X-rated in a stiff wind! (And have you seen naked Heidi dressed only in hangers on the website? :eek::mad:)

Of course, if Nzinga's conservatism required legs, arms and head always completely covered, I guess there would be a big problem in creating anything "fashionable," even if "pretty." Oh, well, I'll never know...

I found five "my-personal-opinion" labels to categorize the first crop of outfits:

"Seen it Before" : Hernana, Korina, Kristine

"J.C.Penney" : Kini, Fade, Mitchell, Char

"Interesting" : Samantha, Carrie, Angela, Amanda

"Hideous" : Jefferson, Emily, Alexander, Sean (at least from the front)

"Rummage Sale" : Sandya

It's fun having the show back on, though, eh?

Edited by SeagoingMom

I went back and looked at the clothes again on the Lifetime 'Rate the Runway' thingie and changed my mind about Char -- too much volume top and bottom. One part needed to be more sleek. But I love her spirit and want to see her succeed.

And I must need to think differently about pants. All that talk about Amanda's pants fitting great and all I could see was that they were too long, which is the easiest fix of all. Are pants supposed to fit like that now?

I want to like Hernan -- those awesome eyes -- but looking at his portfolio, I think he's going to be too sexy for the judges.

I found a website -- Tom and Lorenzo Fabulous and Opinionated -- that had a great rundown of the show. And was lots of fun to read. Google it.

I went back and looked at the clothes again on the Lifetime 'Rate the Runway' thingie and changed my mind about Char -- too much volume top and bottom. One part needed to be more sleek. But I love her spirit and want to see her succeed.

And I must need to think differently about pants. All that talk about Amanda's pants fitting great and all I could see was that they were too long, which is the easiest fix of all. Are pants supposed to fit like that now?

I want to like Hernan -- those awesome eyes -- but looking at his portfolio, I think he's going to be too sexy for the judges.

I found a website -- Tom and Lorenzo Fabulous and Opinionated -- that had a great rundown of the show. And was lots of fun to read. Google it.

I love Tom and Lorenzo .. they are awesome and post about everything not just Runway... however their runway posts are always great.

Not sure that the pants should be that long, but it would be refreshing after finding all of the pants for the last 2 years coming to the ankles like the last day of first or second grade when you had grown out of your clothes but mom wasn't buying any more until next school year !

You mean his designs, right? Not he himself...

Yeah, thanks for the T&L/F&O tip -- I was gratified to see that with few exceptions, my opinions on the designs matched theirs -- whoever they are. Oh, dear -- I am somehow made happy that two people totally unknown to me, who, as far as I know might not actually exist, have opinions similar to mine about outfits which, in the grand scheme of things, matter not one whit... How sad is that! I need to get a life -- or maybe I'll take a cruise... :o

I am always astounded by the unconventional materials challenge... just the creativity to figure out making a dress from whatever. I do think Amanda had a big advantage having done that before but it was nice just once on this show to see a team actually work together without the major EGO's getting in the way.

I didn't really like the winning dress or the winning mini collection, but it was the least bad.

You mean his designs, right? Not he himself...

haha. I did mean his designs. Though he definitely has a visual soulful sexiness, too. Those eyes...

But he was the one who really should have gone last night, if only the judges had the whole story -- he basically dictated the concept. I suspect Sandhya's original look would have been a better direction to go. That skirt was cute -- for the unconventional challenge, that is. However, I was surprised the judges thought hers was the worst of that collection. It looked the most interesting to me. But in-person must be different from TV.

I hate to say it, but I liked Mitchell's shimmering dress the best. Nothing original about it's shape but very cool use of materials.