Windows10 and cruising?

bazzaw

Just wondering if anybody here has recently cruised and used a laptop or device with Windows10 when connected to the ship's wifi system??

Ship's wifi systems are usually bad enough as they are (for various reasons) - but the Windows10 propensity to download large updates automatically when connected to wifi is (I believe) going to eventually cause BIG problems for people like World cruisers. :(

Barry

I cruised on Golden Princess in October 2015. I used a laptop with Windows 10 and connected to the ships Wi-Fi. I updated the system just before the cruise as a way of reducing the need for updates. The speed was a little slower than my current slow speeds in country NSW, but manageable.

Just wondering if anybody here has recently cruised and used a laptop or device with Windows10 when connected to the ship's wifi system??

Ship's wifi systems are usually bad enough as they are (for various reasons) - but the Windows10 propensity to download large updates automatically when connected to wifi is (I believe) going to eventually cause BIG problems for people like World cruisers. :(

Barry

In Windows 10 you can set the WiFi connection to metered.

http://www.howtogeek.com/224471/how-to-prevent-windows-10-from-automatically-downloading-updates/

This should stop automatic updates.

In Windows 10 you can set the WiFi connection to metered.

http://www.howtogeek.com/224471/how-to-prevent-windows-10-from-automatically-downloading-updates/

This should stop automatic updates.

From SMH Digital:

"Users can tweak their Windows 10 system settings by enabling a "metered connection" by searching for "Change Wi-Fi settings" in the start menu, clicking on "Advanced Options" and enabling "Metered connection". This lets Windows 10 know the Wi-Fi connection you're on is capped, so instead of forcing a software update onto your PC or tablet, it will notify you first. You can then choose to delay the upgrade until you are on an uncapped connection."

From SMH Digital:

"Users can tweak their Windows 10 system settings by enabling a "metered connection" by searching for "Change Wi-Fi settings" in the start menu, clicking on "Advanced Options" and enabling "Metered connection". This lets Windows 10 know the Wi-Fi connection you're on is capped, so instead of forcing a software update onto your PC or tablet, it will notify you first. You can then choose to delay the upgrade until you are on an uncapped connection."

Thanks I'll give that one a try.

Thanks I'll give that one a try.

My understanding is that this has to be done - system by system. In other words, you can't set Windows10 globally this way - you have to wait until you are connected to a wifi system and then set it as a metered connection.

Barry

My understanding is that this has to be done - system by system. In other words, you can't set Windows10 globally this way - you have to wait until you are connected to a wifi system and then set it as a metered connection.

Barry

Thanks Baz

I find Windows 10 a major hassle. I did the 2 nighter cruise on Golden back in October and it did take a while to figure out how to log into the system. I am pretty up to date with computers but this Microsoft Edge is complete garbage to use the web. I have installed chrome on my computers that I use now. Every time a hotel or ship computer wants a sign in it still opens edge by default though and I sign in, close and open chrome.

I find Windows 10 a major hassle. I did the 2 nighter cruise on Golden back in October and it did take a while to figure out how to log into the system. I am pretty up to date with computers but this Microsoft Edge is complete garbage to use the web. I have installed chrome on my computers that I use now. Every time a hotel or ship computer wants a sign in it still opens edge by default though and I sign in, close and open chrome.

It sounds like you need to set Chrome as your default browser.

http://www.omgchrome.com/how-to-set-google-chrome-as-default-browser-in-windows-10/