Turkish Airlines

Smiles3usa

Just saw that Turkish airways is running a promotional special from BOS for 2014. RT tickets to Rome from Boston for October, via Istanbul, are now only $701 pp including all taxes on Turkish Airways. I have the option for overnight layover both ways. If, as pointed out in flyertalk, the hotel cost is borne by the airline, I definitely think it would be worth exploring the city, especially, since we have never been to Istanbul.

My only concern, and it is a large one, is that currently there is a US advisory against travelling to Turkey. I'd like to purchase these tickets and have that piece off my plate (I think it is a really good deal) but I know DH will not fly to anyplace with US advisory against travel to that country. How long is an advisory likely to last? BTW, do those advisories apply to just a 3 hour layover as well as a visit to the country? I could forego the long layover if it were not safe. Just pondering what to do. Maybe, I should just wait to purchase airfare...but then prices could shoot up. The next lowest cost is $1379 pp. Almost double.

Thoughts?

Just saw that Turkish airways is running a promotional special from BOS for 2014. RT tickets to Rome from Boston for October, via Istanbul, are now only $701 pp including all taxes on Turkish Airways. I have the option for overnight layover both ways. If, as pointed out in flyertalk, the hotel cost is borne by the airline, I definitely think it would be worth exploring the city, especially, since we have never been to Istanbul.

My only concern, and it is a large one, is that currently there is a US advisory against travelling to Turkey. I'd like to purchase these tickets and have that piece off my plate (I think it is a really good deal) but I know DH will not fly to anyplace with US advisory against travel to that country. How long is an advisory likely to last? BTW, do those advisories apply to just a 3 hour layover as well as a visit to the country? I could forego the long layover if it were not safe. Just pondering what to do. Maybe, I should just wait to purchase airfare...but then prices could shoot up. The next lowest cost is $1379 pp. Almost double.

Thoughts?

It's always wise to take a detailed look at the travel advisory, and not just assume that it's blanket for the whole nation. The US Consulate in Istanbul has not put out any sort of advisory for 2.5 months, and those surrounded the protests that are not occurring anymore. Most US advisories/warnings around Turkey are specific to the southern regions along the borders with Turkey and Iraq, which is far, far, far away from Istanbul.

I would have no qualms about going to Turkey right now. In fact, I am in the next couple weeks for work ;)

Istanbul is one of my absolute favorite cities in the world, and I would highly recommend spending as much time there as possible. It beats Rome hands down in every category - I would exchange 7 days in Rome for 7 hours in Istanbul.

I would not hesitate to visit Turkey. You may find that the advisories are more relevant to the easternmost part of the county.

Turkey is one of our favourite vacation destinations. We have flown Turkish Airlines a number of times-domestic and international- and it has been good. The longest flight was from Cape Town to Rome. No issues whatsoever-good service.

My only concern, and it is a large one, is that currently there is a US advisory against travelling to Turkey. Thoughts?

No, there is no current US advisory. Where are you seeing this? I would not hesitate to go to Istanbul, and in fact, have a trip planned there. If this airfare works for you, it's a good price and I would purchase it.

Current travel warnings found here:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_1764.html

Edited by 6rugrats

Advisories are just that....advice. And given the nanny nature of government, they will often warn at the first hint of an "issue".

And, by comparison, many foreign governments have travel warnings out for the USA. Among cities that have warnings are Boston, New York, Washington, Miami, Los Angeles and more. Read it HERE.

As always, the devil is in the details. Simple answers are convenient....and usually wrong.

Advisories are just that....advice. And given the nanny nature of government, they will often warn at the first hint of an "issue".

And, by comparison, many foreign governments have travel warnings out for the USA. Among cities that have warnings are Boston, New York, Washington, Miami, Los Angeles and more. Read it HERE.

As always, the devil is in the details. Simple answers are convenient....and usually wrong.

It's always interesting to read what other countries warn their citizens about in regards to the US. And most of it sounds pretty fair to me. Reading the link you give, and having been to most (all?) of those cities, I kinda shake my head saying "yeah...not bad advice at all".

I'd feel safer in even the "dangerous" parts of Turkey than I would in parts of some major US cities. And someplace like Istanbul? Forget about it...no question about my safety.

i just spent three nights in Istanbul last week after our Oct 31 cruise.

Do not worry, it is a great ,very safe city.

Many of the curisers on our ship used Trukish Air for the first time. All like the airline and had no compiaints.

Edited by Azulann

TPA TO YYZ

YYZ to IST

IST to VCE

Well that doesn't sound fun at all...

You won't have to go through immigration or customs in Istanbul, but I believe you'll still have to go through security at Istanbul. 1:10 is tight. I'm hoping there is another (or two) IST-VCE flight to get you there in time for your commitments, should you misconnect?

Well that doesn't sound fun at all...

You won't have to go through immigration or customs in Istanbul, but I believe you'll still have to go through security at Istanbul. 1:10 is tight. I'm hoping there is another (or two) IST-VCE flight to get you there in time for your commitments, should you misconnect?

Thanks for the info. I didn't buy it because I don't trust any connection less than 2 hours - 3 is even better for me.

We came home in Sept on Turkish AIr (not on a cruise) We flew JFK/Istanbul/Prague and same return. It was a little more that $200 less than other carriers. We were quite happy with Turkish Air. Neighbors just returned a couple of weeks ago from a Turkey/Greece/Med cruise. They loved Istanbul and Kusadasi and had NO problems or issues. We are doing a river cruise next year in Ukraine and have already been advised we will be flying Turkish Air JFK/Istanbul/Kiev. We have no problem with that. However, our trip is also next year and there is no way in telling what the world situation is going to be.....anywhere.

Edited by marco

We came home in Sept on Turkish AIr (not on a cruise) We flew JFK/Istanbul/Prague and same return. It was a little more that $200 less than other carriers. We were quite happy with Turkish Air. Neighbors just returned a couple of weeks ago from a Turkey/Greece/Med cruise. They loved Istanbul and Kusadasi and had NO problems or issues. However, if you're going next year there is no way in telling what the world situation is going to be.....anywhere.

How long was their connection time?

We got into Istanbul from Prague a few minutes after 3PM. Our flight to JFK left at 5:20 PM. We arrived from Prague on time and it didn't take long at all to get to our gate for the flight to NYC, I don't think it took a 1/2 hr. They had one line for international connections (that was us) and one for entering Turkey (that moved much slower as folks had to pass through passport control/immigration/customs etc etc.

We got into Istanbul from Prague a few minutes after 3PM. Our flight to JFK left at 5:20 PM. We arrived from Prague on time and it didn't take long at all to get to our gate for the flight to NYC, I don't think it took a 1/2 hr. They had one line for international connections (that was us) and one for entering Turkey (that moved much slower as folks had to pass through passport control/immigration/customs etc etc.

Thank you for the comeback. It's way to nerve wracking for me!:D

Thanks all. I booked it. $702.30 pp RT. Plus, because there is a 10+ hour layover each way (no earlier flight due to TK schedule) we will get free hotel room in Istanbul coming and going. I do like a good deal and appreciate the reassurance from folks who have recently been to Istanbul.

More information and traveler data points can be found in THIS THREAD over at FT. Note the following that is in Post #1:

Rules:

- There is more than 10 hours (7 or more hours for business class passengers) between two international connecting flights due to Turkish Airlines’ schedule for a maximum 2 nights. Comfort Class is considered economy in this context.

- The layover time is calculated on the schedule not your booking. Let me explain: If the schedule shows an outgoing flight within the 10/7 hours window, even if you are not booked on the earlier flight (or couldn't book because it was full), you won't be able to take advantage of the free hotel/tour offer.

- You must be on an incoming TK and outgoing TK flight (other Star Alliance flights are not applicable for this offer).

and
How do I get this offer?:

Upon arrival you will have to clear immigration and customs and go to the “Hotel Desk” office which is located at the arrival floor after customs, turn right and walk to the end, next to Starbucks.

The staff will present you with a hotel voucher (which will include breakfast if your stay includes that time window), transport to/from the hotel is included.

The hotel may vary but is generally of good quality (Radisson Blue etc.).

You cannot pre-book the hotel/tour, you have to physically present yourself at the hotel desk.

The second rule may come into play with some bookings, so double-check the schedules, not your itinerary, to be sure you qualify. For example, if you disdain a shorter connection (of at least MCT), you would not get the offer.

Edited by FlyerTalker