short Atlanta connection

2southerncruisers

I am looking at flights to Europe in October. The outbound flight I prefer is on Delta but it connects in Atlanta with 42 minutes to change planes. I fly out of Atlanta often with no issues but wasn't sure about this international flight, would that make a difference? Is it cutting it too close? The next option is a 3 hour layover.

Any opinions?

Paula

I am looking at flights to Europe in October. The outbound flight I prefer is on Delta but it connects in Atlanta with 42 minutes to change planes. I fly out of Atlanta often with no issues but wasn't sure about this international flight, would that make a difference? Is it cutting it too close? The next option is a 3 hour layover.

Any opinions?

Paula

I am a freqent DL flyer and I would ALWAYS prefer a three hour connect to an international flight -- in Atlanta or any other gateway city. There is just too much that can go wrong. I don't know offhand what the legal minimum connection time is for ATL (domestic to international), but I would never book a 42 minute connection.

"Standard" DL connections are most often in the A & B concourses, sometimes spilling into the others. Almost all international departures are from E and F (and a couple from T), so you will have additional time for the train. FWIW, it's appx 70 seconds per concourse once you are on the train. And even more from E to F. So A to F would be at least 7 minutes just on the train. Add in walking to the center of the concourse, down the escalator, wait for a train, now up the other escalator, walk through the concourse. And, don't forget waiting to leave your first flight while someone blocks the aisle trying to get all of their carryons out of the overhead. And another one that can't manage it. And another who had three shopping bags that are spilling out into the bins. Plus the mom with three kids who are less disciplined than cats.

As Shorex says, take the longer connection. Let me leave you with this thought problem. How much happiness would you get from taking the outbound flight to ATL that you prefer? Now, how much unhappiness would you get from missing your international segment? Do your own cost/benefit analysis.

No way would I take a 42 min connection either....The last time we were in ATL the concourse trains weren't working....True this hasn't ever happened to us the many times we have connected through ATL but just imagine if it does to you...

I am a freqent DL flyer and I would ALWAYS prefer a three hour connect to an international flight -- in Atlanta or any other gateway city. .

I agree. I fly DL all the time and for a simple domestic flight I often chance the 40-ish minute connection, because if my inbound is delayed and I miss the 4:30 to XYZ, there's probably another at 5:45, and one at 7:00 and so on. But for an international connection, where that might be the only flight that day from ATL to city XYZ in Europe? No way. Take the 3 hour connection.

Agree with others on the longer connection. Based in ATL, most of the Int'l flights I recall have started boarding an hour before departure, I'm personally not one for running up to the gate during (or near the end of) boarding. :)

If you don't already have access to the Sky Club, consider a day pass to relax and do some plane & people watching with a drink and a snack. By October the F concourse Sky Club will include an outdoor Sky Deck which could be a nice place to pass the time. And even if you depart from another concourse, 3 hours gives you plenty of time to wander out to F then make your way back to your gate for departure...or to visit a few different Sky Clubs along the way.

http://delta.thedigitalcenter.com/assets/show/28740-the-sky-deck-at-the-atl-concourse-f-delta-sky-club

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to answer. I will take the 3 hour layover instead. The best return I can find allows 2 hr 40 min in JFK before the flight to Savannah. (VCE to JFK to SAV). I assume we will go through customs in JFK. Will the layover there ( 2 hr and 40 Min) be enough time to go through the process and recheck bags to SAV?

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to answer. I will take the 3 hour layover instead. The best return I can find allows 2 hr 40 min in JFK before the flight to Savannah. (VCE to JFK to SAV). I assume we will go through customs in JFK. Will the layover there ( 2 hr and 40 Min) be enough time to go through the process and recheck bags to SAV?

Correct. When you arrive at JFK you will first clear immigration, then you will collect your bags and go through customs. After that, you will recheck your bags (there will be a place just past customs where you drop off the bags) and then you go through security, and proceed to your departure gate for the flight to SAV. 2 hours, 40 minutes should be ok.

I assume there is a stop between JFK and SAV? I wasn't aware of any nonstop between the two.

Now that I know you're from my home town SAV it confirms the advice on longer layovers. :) I've gone on many Int'l flights from ATL w my parents connecting from SAV and we always went w a longer connection for them...for their sanity as well as mine on the ATL side. Any weather event & you're at risk of a delay program...you won't be cleared for takeoff until you're cleared for landing in ATL, in very simple terms. Take your time, that's the Savannah way, right?

My last connection thru JFK (from FCO) was chaotic at first w a terminal change but quick in the end, but I had no checked baggage and the ATL gate was the first one after the escalator up from customs/immigration.:)

I know you have made up your mind but I will add I always worry about my luggage making it on a short connection. I have a vested interest and will hurry to my next gate--but will the people moving my bags feel the same urgency?

I know you have made up your mind but I will add I always worry about my luggage making it on a short connection. I have a vested interest and will hurry to my next gate--but will the people moving my bags feel the same urgency?

A few years ago I connected at ATL. Inbound flight was late and the time between deplaning that flight and my connecting flight departing ended up being something like 19 minutes. I figured no way my bag made it, so I went straight to the baggage office upon arrival and was completely surprised when the agent said the computer showed my bag was on the plane. Went back out to the carousel and sure enough it was.

If you are flying Delta, you can either use their "app" or their website to monitor the status of your luggage. The app lets you scan the barcode (or you can manually input the tag number), and stores the three most recent numbers. I have been sitting in my seat and through my phone, know that the bag has been scanned planeside - meaning it has been loaded. I have also been onboard and noticed that it had not been scanned - and the app later told me what the reroute was. Very useful.

Also available at THIS PAGE of the DL website. And since the GoGo inflight wifi is free for accessing delta.com, you can check with phone (in wifi airplane mode), tablet or laptop onboard.

Can't speak to whether any other USA airline provides this kind of tracking.

Archived