where to stay near 17th st shopping?

pris993

We have stayed at the Embassy Suites for many years... looking to book next October 2017... seems hotels are fully booked... must be a conference in town??

Looking for suggestions...

Extended Stay America is never mention here and very well located.

Good luck and book early. We hadn't sailed out of Ft. Lauderdale for about three years until this past November. Yes, it was the boat show, and the addition of all the large RCI ships. I was shocked by the prices and lack of availability. We just booked a cruise for the end of January and ran into the same issue.

We are having the same issue. I am wondering if the hotels have dates blocked out because the date of the boat show hasn't been announced yet?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The boat show dates are booked 30 years out.

October is the start of our peak season.

• 3 weeks later...
Interesting because I tried googling the dates and couldn't find anything for 2017.

We cruised out of Ft. Lauderdale this year last week of October and had no problem getting a room for the night before the cruise or the night the ship returned. Fell right in the middle of boat week. I was a little surprised to have such difficulty for next year.

• 3 weeks later...

So I solved the mystery. The hotels aren't "booked" they have a three night minimum. The lady at the Embassy Suites tried to tell me it has been that way for 20 years. Interesting because I have stayed there pre-cruise during the same time period for the last 5 years and never had a problem. I think it might be because I usually don't book until April or so...maybe they relax the minimum stay at some point.

I just booked Embassy Suite for one night Nov, 3rd on yesterday. I had to speak to a reservationist in the hotel. If you call the published number, you end up with their central reservations somewhere in Fort Lauderdale area and they show it is sold out as well.

So I told the representative I had been trying since December 2016 and asked her did they book the entire hotel for people who are attending the boat show...she said "no" and transferred me directly to the hotel and I got the reservation. I was not asked to book a minimal of 3 nights.

I got my electronic confirmation within 15 minutes.

So I solved the mystery. The hotels aren't "booked" they have a three night minimum. The lady at the Embassy Suites tried to tell me it has been that way for 20 years. Interesting because I have stayed there pre-cruise during the same time period for the last 5 years and never had a problem. I think it might be because I usually don't book until April or so...maybe they relax the minimum stay at some point.

The boat show people changed the boat show dates year before last so your dates weren't always over boat show.

Booked the Embassy Suites two nights ahead of our Feb 20th sailing based on location and cc recommendations. Now getting a bit nervous. The hotel shows an overall 4 star rating on Trip Advisor however 21 of the 50 reviews this month are only 1 or 2 stars. Concerned that the place has taken a real turn for the worse. DW is unhappy because we're paying $350/night (presidents weekend plus 5 ships sailing on 2/19). Wanted to stay in area, so tried to switch to the Hyatt but they're fully booked and Holiday Inn Express next door is undergoing renovations

Hoping someone who's stayed there recently can offer some reassurance.

• 3 weeks later...
We have stayed at the Embassy Suites for many years... looking to book next October 2017... seems hotels are fully booked... must be a conference in town??

Looking for suggestions...

I called Embassy Suite direct and made reservation.

They have been showing full since last November when I tried to make a reservation. When I called last November, I was told they weren't booking that far in advance...I really think it's computer related at this time. The central reservationist told me it was booked, but I insisted on speaking directly to the hotel

Travel agents who have group cruises, as well as some cruise lines book their guests into the Embassy Suites, reserving blocks of rooms. Or you may be running into the annual yacht show.

Downtown San Diego is all booked up for my February, 2018 cruise - these things happen. Sometimes checking closer to the sail date turns up something, as reserved rooms may be released.

Roz

We have used Hyatt Place booked through Value Trips many times. Their rooms are clean, the breakfast is included and I have no complaints about the hotel. The only thing that surprised me is that there is a parking fee to keep your car there overnight when you are physically staying the night. I guess this is the way of hotels these days, but I can't remember it being that way when we stayed there previously.

In January, we had a rental car so returned it to the airport the night we were staying at the hotel, so no charge. We did take a shuttle the next morning to the ship, but we hadn't planned to do that. We just came down to check out and there was a shuttle driver there and even though we had planned to take a cab, we decided, it's here so let's go.

My whole family will be there again in July and I look forward to it.

• 3 months later...
The boat show people changed the boat show dates year before last so your dates weren't always over boat show.

Well yes actually they were...the dates of the charter cruise we take changed too. Believe me it is pretty hard to miss if you are there during boat week, lol.

I just booked Embassy Suite for one night Nov, 3rd on yesterday. I had to speak to a reservationist in the hotel. If you call the published number, you end up with their central reservations somewhere in Fort Lauderdale area and they show it is sold out as well.

So I told the representative I had been trying since December 2016 and asked her did they book the entire hotel for people who are attending the boat show...she said "no" and transferred me directly to the hotel and I got the reservation. I was not asked to book a minimal of 3 nights.

I got my electronic confirmation within 15 minutes.

Well that is discouraging because I did call the hotel directly. Oh well, ended up booking something on airBNB instead,