Recent Stay at Embassy Suites in Ft. Lauderdale

Roz

I stayed at the Embassy Suites on 17th St. December 2-3, 2016. The ES is my "go to" hotel in Ft. Lauderdale because of its location and the fact that it's a Hilton property and I can use points for my stay.

The reason I'm posting this is there were a lot of negative comments about this hotel prior to my recent stay - dirty, dingy, moldy, bed bug ridden, stale snacks at manager's reception, poor breakfast, etc.

The ES in Ft. Lauderdale is definitely one of their older hotels, and I will be the first to say the rooms could use freshening and updating, but older doesn't translate into dirty. The lobby and atrium were remodeled a few years ago and I'm sure the guest rooms will be addressed in the next couple of years.

Yes, there was some mildew (not the same as mold) in the bathroom, but I live in a hot, humid climate and know that bathroom mildew is an ongoing issue, more so if you're near the water. No bed bugs (I checked the corners of the mattress and sheets) and clean overall. The snacks were fresh, and I watched as the attendants brought out new bags of chips, opened them there on the spot, and emptied them into the bowls. The popcorn was hot and fresh. Ditto for the breakfast in the morning. Front desk staff friendly and helpful.

Roz

I stayed at the Embassy Suites on 17th St. December 2-3, 2016. The ES is my "go to" hotel in Ft. Lauderdale because of its location and the fact that it's a Hilton property and I can use points for my stay.

The reason I'm posting this is there were a lot of negative comments about this hotel prior to my recent stay - dirty, dingy, moldy, bed bug ridden, stale snacks at manager's reception, poor breakfast, etc.

The ES in Ft. Lauderdale is definitely one of their older hotels, and I will be the first to say the rooms could use freshening and updating, but older doesn't translate into dirty. The lobby and atrium were remodeled a few years ago and I'm sure the guest rooms will be addressed in the next couple of years.

Yes, there was some mildew (not the same as mold) in the bathroom, but I live in a hot, humid climate and know that bathroom mildew is an ongoing issue, more so if you're near the water. No bed bugs (I checked the corners of the mattress and sheets) and clean overall. The snacks were fresh, and I watched as the attendants brought out new bags of chips, opened them there on the spot, and emptied them into the bowls. The popcorn was hot and fresh. Ditto for the breakfast in the morning. Front desk staff friendly and helpful.

Roz

I was at this hotel with family at the same time for our December 3rd cruise. We had used points for the stay and had worried about the reviews. You are right, hotel is older but we found it to be clean, staff was always pleasant, room was clean and the beds were comfortable. We could see the cruise ships from the 8th floor balconey. I would stay here again.

Roz

Roz--

Totally agree with your thoughts--

We were there 12/3 & 12/4 post-cruise. We have stayed at this Embassy Suites now for the 7th straight year, and we will continue to stay here.

We have been treated extremely well here--especially by Kathleen at the front desk.

It will continue to be our hotel of choice for our South Florida cruises.

We stayed at ES 17th St for the first time Dec. 11 post-cruise. Our first time there & a good choice (with a good rate). I think we were on the 9th floor, overlooking the shopping area next door with the cruise ships in the distance. We liked everything about it, from the bellman service & friendly people at the front desk, to the evening complimentary cocktails & snacks and morning breakfast. Also liked the Harbor shops. Publix, & convenient restaurants (long live Duffy's & Gilbert's, though the latter was closed Sunday.) It's frantic around check-out time in the morning, as are all the hotels in the area ... but definitely one to be considered when we return.

Thanks to all of you recent travelers!! We have this hotel booked in February and I have been concerned with the reviews, especially with what we are paying. I LOVE the location though. Thanks for telling of your experiences and relieving some concerns.

Considering what they are charging in peak season, it would be nice if they used the summer to get the rooms freshened/updated.

The Embassy runs an almost 85% occupancy rate in the summer. South American tourists are flocking here in the summer to escape their cold winter.

The Crown Plaza right at 84 and Federal runs a 90% occupancy rate all year.

It's crazy.

Roz, thanks for the update!

The Embassy runs an almost 85% occupancy rate in the summer. South American tourists are flocking here in the summer to escape their cold winter.

It's crazy.

!

Wow, I knew about the summer visitors, but didn't think occupancy was that high. Would take quite a hit to schedule and close off rooms for updating.

Wow, I knew about the summer visitors, but didn't think occupancy was that high. Would take quite a hit to schedule and close off rooms for updating.

When I was in the hotel business in Myrtle Beach, we would just rotate a handful of rooms out of inventory at a time.

Yes, our occupancy is crazy now. It did not used to be like this. Ten years ago Fort Lauderdale was a ghost town in July. No longer.

At E.S. 17TH St. right now at the beautiful pool. Got here yesterday afternoon. Cruise tomorrow. Great stay so far. No problems with hotel. Everything as advertised. Would recommend it for short pre or post cruise stays. Happy Cruising! Bob and Linda

Sent from my XT1055 using Forums mobile app

At E.S. 17TH St. right now at the beautiful pool. Got here yesterday afternoon. Cruise tomorrow. Great stay so far. No problems with hotel. Everything as advertised. Would recommend it for short pre or post cruise stays. Happy Cruising! Bob and Linda

Sent from my XT1055 using Forums mobile app

Hi there! We're booked there at Embassy Suites for the night before we set sail on the Regal in March. Our flight arrives in Ft. Lauderdale at 6pm. After we check in, we're heading to Total Wine & More for our cruise necessities and then, a bite to eat. From what I've read, Total Wine, as well as several restaurants, are within walking distance. Out of 5 of us, 1 has a bad back and 2 have bad knees! Would you be able to tell me how far "walking distance" actually is?! Thanks very much! I hope you had a glorious cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by cindsue

The Harbor Shops are right behind the hotel. From the side door of the hotel to the shops is probably the equivalent of 2-3 city blocks.

Roz

Thank you very much for your quick response Roz. Greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by cindsue

The Harbor Shops are right behind the hotel. From the side door of the hotel to the shops is probably the equivalent of 2-3 city blocks.

Roz

I bring my small roller bag when I go there... it's carry on size.

Then I load my wine, soda, and the TJMAXX purchases ( which I always have ) in it.

Makes bringing my stuff back so much easier .. and I'm not the only one tromping around with luggage either! That's how I got the idea!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And Thank you, Roz for your recent review.

I'll be there Feb 13-15 2017.

I added another night in FLL for Feb 12th at Riverside Hotel just to check out Las Olas Boulevard but Embassy Suites is my go to place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's a restaurant in the hotel. In addition, in the Harbor Shoppes, is Gilbert's Grill and an Asian fusion restaurant. Beside the hotel is an Outback Steakhouse and a nice (but pricey) Italian restaurant called Mezzaluna. There are others, and I'm sure someone will stop by and add some.

Roz