Puddle Jumpers vs Life Vest

LuCruise

I've posted similarly about beach/pool and kids but thought I'd ask specifically about flotation devices at the pool / beach.

Our DD will be 6.5 when we come. She is currently taking swimming lessons. I'm happy that I've recently seen her float on her stomach with her face in the water...but she doesn't swim yet. My DD is regular build but very tall and so currently is over 50lbs (so 5 months from now, will be a few pounds more).

A lot of you mention Puddle Jumpers, but the weight is 30-50lbs, so she's over the max weight even now.

We recently purchased a life vest. Anyone brought this along and used it at the ship pool and beach? We of course will be with her in the water at all times by her side, but I would feel more comfortable if she wears something for now. Are the vests limiting in their movement?

I think life vests are very cumbersome...there are some "floatation vests" that are less restrictive.

In the pools, she could probably get away with arm floats, since you'll be right there.

That's my worry. But with arm floats, they tend to be for younger kids (i.e. 50lbs or less)

For the bigger kids, a life vest is the only option. Look for a thinner one, like they sell at boat shops. The pools on board can be 5 ft deep, which are over my kids heads

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, that is my concern and why I'd feel better with her in something...even with us right there. Our cruise has a current pool, so that's one place for sure...and if she "swims" are various beaches.

Thanks.

Yes, that is my concern and why I'd feel better with her in something...even with us right there. Our cruise has a current pool, so that's one place for sure...and if she "swims" are various beaches.

Thanks.

All lifejackets or PFD's are inherently adverse to swimming. They are designed to keep you afloat, not allow swimming, especially for someone who does not swim well in the first place. Training her to float front and back, and put her face in the water without panic is the best defense.

If you must get a lifejacket, for your own peace of mind, pay very careful attention to the SOLAS rating. SOLAS type I jackets, which are the ones the ship uses, are designed to turn an unconscious person face up, so this would definitely not help your DD, and could add to her discomfort. Type II and III jackets will not turn you face up, but will provide flotation. Type III are the least restrictive to movement.

All lifejackets or PFD's are inherently adverse to swimming. They are designed to keep you afloat, not allow swimming, especially for someone who does not swim well in the first place. Training her to float front and back, and put her face in the water without panic is the best defense.

If you must get a lifejacket, for your own peace of mind, pay very careful attention to the SOLAS rating. SOLAS type I jackets, which are the ones the ship uses, are designed to turn an unconscious person face up, so this would definitely not help your DD, and could add to her discomfort. Type II and III jackets will not turn you face up, but will provide flotation. Type III are the least restrictive to movement.

So yeah...as in my original post, we are "training her" as she's taking swimming lessons, and has been for the past 1-2 years. It took her awhile to put her head in the water so she didn't progress much. She does now and so is doing great, but fact is, she won't be doing laps or front crawl or 'swimming' in 5 months. And she actually can float on her front...just can't move forward...yet ;)

We do have a life jacket. Bought it end of the summer at Target as they were clearing out their summer stuff. On vacation, it's not like our kids will be swimming laps...just want her to enjoy the time in the water...safely. But with a life jacket, am not sure just how limiting it is. Too bad they dont' make puddle jumpers for older kids as these look like they can still move around and have fun.

Google "swim bubble". It's a floatation device that straps around the waist with a foam bubble on the back that keeps their arms free to learn to swim. Both my kids learned on it. It won't keep their head out of the water but it will keep them from sinking. It would be up to you to know your daughters ability.

Since she's older, she may advanced quickly in her lessons.

I'd ask her swim teacher what they think closer to departure time and try to get in as many lessons as possible in that time. If you can manage a few private lessons you may end up comfortable with other options.

We have a pool and I know that kids with a broader frame can barely move in the puddle jumper. Nothing to stop you from trying both options out in a public pool to see how she does.

So yeah...as in my original post, we are "training her" as she's taking swimming lessons, and has been for the past 1-2 years. It took her awhile to put her head in the water so she didn't progress much. She does now and so is doing great, but fact is, she won't be doing laps or front crawl or 'swimming' in 5 months. And she actually can float on her front...just can't move forward...yet ;)

We do have a life jacket. Bought it end of the summer at Target as they were clearing out their summer stuff. On vacation, it's not like our kids will be swimming laps...just want her to enjoy the time in the water...safely. But with a life jacket, am not sure just how limiting it is. Too bad they dont' make puddle jumpers for older kids as these look like they can still move around and have fun.

If you have the lifejacket and she is taking swimming lessons, then just have her try it in the water to see how limiting it is. The only way you are going to know, is to actually try it.

The swim bubble may be the best bet. I haven't seen these before, nor used them, but they look like the answer. The problem with lifejackets are that they are designed to keep the wearer upright. As she tries to swim, she will have to exert a lot of energy trying to remain horizontal, and may actually be detrimental to her progress in learning to swim. Something like the swim bubble, which has the flotation at the back, will actually promote a horizontal body position, but she will have to work to lift her face out of the water. Definitely take her to open swims at the pool, if they allow PFD's, and try her out with them before the cruise.

I am a big fan of puddle jumpers. The swim bubble appears to restrict the wearer to stay in the swimming position (horizontal) when in the water. Having said that, the puddle jumper has size limitations. Last year our oldest was taller than normal for her age. She knew how to puppy swim for a few but we did not feel comfortable for her to be without a flotation device. Therefore, I added a carabiner as an extender for the back strap.

This past summer she finally learned how to swim. :D

Since she's older, she may advanced quickly in her lessons.

I'd ask her swim teacher what they think closer to departure time and try to get in as many lessons as possible in that time. If you can manage a few private lessons you may end up comfortable with other options.

We have a pool and I know that kids with a broader frame can barely move in the puddle jumper. Nothing to stop you from trying both options out in a public pool to see how she does.

We've actually been signing her up for private lessens the past year or so. Initially the reason was to help her get past her fear of putting her face in the water (which helped as she's fine now), but the past few times it's been to try and accelerate her swimming knowing the cruise is coming. Need to decide if we do private one more time for the next session in January. It's quite costly but for this, we'll pay the extra expense.

Thank you. There have been some helpful responses.

Yeah...as mentioned, we'll try the life vest and see how it goes. She can always remove it if she doesn't like it, as we'll be with her.

My child is almost 5 and I bring both his puddle jumper and a life vest. He can swim a little, but 'thinks' he can swim just fine, which scares me! In the pools I use the puddle jumper, but bring his life vest when we go into the ocean as I feel more comfortable with that-it has a strap that goes between the legs that I can grab hold of and I feel there are more areas on the life vest I can grab onto in case of emergency. He can actually swim around in that life vest quite well.

I bought a speedo swim vest at target for my almost 6 year old. She doesn't judge danger appropriately and therefore pretty much has to wear it anytime we are near water even though she can tread water and swim. It works very well for her and she is about 45lbs. My eight year old can also wear it (she borrows it to snorkle) and she is about 65 lbs. I will say that those weight ranges are approximate on those products and that even if you put one rated up to 50lbs on a 50lb child, it will still provide a good deal of buoancy. To be honest, I wouldn't put swimmies or anything inflatable on a 6 year old who can almost swim, I would go for the vest even though it will take up a lot more luggage room. Also key... really REALLY important... make sure it's dry before packing it up to come home. Use the hair drier on it if need be.... don't ask.

I bought a speedo swim vest at target for my almost 6 year old. She doesn't judge danger appropriately and therefore pretty much has to wear it anytime we are near water even though she can tread water and swim. It works very well for her and she is about 45lbs. My eight year old can also wear it (she borrows it to snorkle) and she is about 65 lbs. I will say that those weight ranges are approximate on those products and that even if you put one rated up to 50lbs on a 50lb child, it will still provide a good deal of buoancy. To be honest, I wouldn't put swimmies or anything inflatable on a 6 year old who can almost swim, I would go for the vest even though it will take up a lot more luggage room. Also key... really REALLY important... make sure it's dry before packing it up to come home. Use the hair drier on it if need be.... don't ask.

Thank you! I'm at work now so can't verify until I get home, but think the one we purchased at Target when in the States was also Speedo. So good to hear that it works for both your kids of varying weights.

I'm sure it's a bit of a pain carrying around if not goign from stateroom to pool to stateroom (or likewise to a beach for the day), but worth their safety.

And such good advice about drying before going home . Hope your clothes didn't get ruined?

• 2 weeks later...

My 4 year old is 42lbs and used the life vests on Oasis that are provided and they worked perfectly. I would definitely recommend bringing one for the beaches or pools in general. The only beach one was provided was RCCL's private island and I had to ask for it. We didn't have a life vest this time for the beach and had my son float on a boogie board (just holding on) with me right there in shallow water to float on the calm waves.

I would just hang it up to dry each day in your bathroom and then if it's still damp wrap in a towel and then put in a plastic bag (giant ziploc if you can get one) and pack it. We packed damp bathing suits like this with no issues.

My 4 year old is 42lbs and used the life vests on Oasis that are provided and they worked perfectly. I would definitely recommend bringing one for the beaches or pools in general. The only beach one was provided was RCCL's private island and I had to ask for it. We didn't have a life vest this time for the beach and had my son float on a boogie board (just holding on) with me right there in shallow water to float on the calm waves.

I would just hang it up to dry each day in your bathroom and then if it's still damp wrap in a towel and then put in a plastic bag (giant ziploc if you can get one) and pack it. We packed damp bathing suits like this with no issues.

Thanks for the reply. I'm didn't realize you can use Royal's life jackets at the pool. Are they by the pool? We recently purchased one but it would save us lugging it around. But we'll definitely take it with us on the beach.

Thanks for the tip as well to bring something to put it in incase it's wet when ready to pack the suitcase. We'll definitely bring some extra plastic bags.

Thanks for the reply. I'm didn't realize you can use Royal's life jackets at the pool. Are they by the pool? We recently purchased one but it would save us lugging it around. But we'll definitely take it with us on the beach.

Thanks for the tip as well to bring something to put it in incase it's wet when ready to pack the suitcase. We'll definitely bring some extra plastic bags.

I don't think you can take the ones by the pool off the ship, but they were just past the kids area on Oasis more near the "beach pool" where you'd get the towels and they come in various sizes.

The brand they use on board is Texas Rec super soft swim vest.

Not sure if this link will work, but http://texasrec.com/product-categories/water-safety/

More on the RCCL blog too - it won't let me link it! Google search RCCL Oasis of the seas life vest. It looks like the blue one which is a small would fit a 5-7 year old per the manufacturer website.

Edited by Vs1023

I don't think you can take the ones by the pool off the ship, but they were just past the kids area on Oasis more near the "beach pool" where you'd get the towels and they come in various sizes.

The brand they use on board is Texas Rec super soft swim vest.

Not sure if this link will work, but http://texasrec.com/product-categories/water-safety/

More on the RCCL blog too - it won't let me link it! Google search RCCL Oasis of the seas life vest. It looks like the blue one which is a small would fit a 5-7 year old per the manufacturer website.

Thanks for the link. Yeah, I wouldn't think you could take it off the ship, but great that they have them near the pool. We'll definitely bring our own with at the ports when at the beach.

You have almost 5 months until your cruise; register her for more swim lessons.

Maybe the cruise pool will be the motivation she needs to get swimming. ;)

Already doing. She's currently in a private session (and has been for the past few sessions). I couldn't get her into private for the January session, but she's registered in group session.