Carnival Victory Dry Dock - NOT!!!

preciousme123

I sailed on the Victory the 2nd cruise from her dry dock on 4/9/15 with my husband & sister-n-law. I must say it was a complete disappointment. We had one of the aft wraps on deck 6. When we walked in the room the first thing we noticed was the 5 inches of dust on the television set (that we wrote our names in) & on the complimentary magazines they leave on a table. One of the magazines was dated February 2012. There was also bobby pins & an empty shaving cream container on our vanity counter from the previous guests.

When we walked out to the balcony we were overcome by the beauty from the view. Absolutely stunning. Until I looked at the floor. It was covered in cigarette butts, bottle caps, gum & candy wrappers. It was at that point I realized they must have forgotten to clean our room.

The carpets in the hallway on deck 6 look like they have not been cleaned in years. For a ship that was in "dry dock" I don't think I should have smelled the stench that was coming from that carpet.

Now I know that I was on this ship during spring break - but I still can't get over the amount of kids - and I don't mean college kids - I mean little kids no older than 10 running around, causing chaos with no supervision - leaving the levers on the ice cream machines down so that ice cream was all over the floor - where the hell were the parents???

I went to elegant night & ordered Caesar Salad - I took 2 bites & then noticed my lettuce moving - I moved the lettuce with my fork & what I found was an alive beetle on lying on its back with its feet (or whatever they are called on bugs) moving. So gross. The only thing I was offered was a bottle of wine & chocolate covered strawberries for my "inconvenience" I consider that more of a health hazard than an inconvenience.

The only nice thing about the dry dock was the new sports bar & alchemy bar - other than that nothing else was visibly done - the common areas were dirty & unkempt.

This ship either needs a 9 month dry dock or put it out of its misery!

Kids under 10 have spring break too. Not sure about the no supervision part, but you did choose to go during spring break season (April-May).

That sucks that they didn't clean your room. And I'm not sure what you were expecting from the dining room...They tried to make it up to you. In a restaurant they would comp your meal (no bill to comp here) and offer you something extra, which they did.

Again, what are you expecting from people reading this? Sympathy? For people to feel bad for you?

Kids under 10 have spring break too. Not sure about the no supervision part, but you did choose to go during spring break season (April-May).

That sucks that they didn't clean your room. And I'm not sure what you were expecting from the dining room...They tried to make it up to you. In a restaurant they would comp your meal (no bill to comp here) and offer you something extra, which they did.

Again, what are you expecting from people reading this? Sympathy? For people to feel bad for you?

I don't expect anything from anyone. I was simply posting my review and what I thought about the cruise I was on. This is a cruise forum right? Where you can post your reviews - good or bad???

Like I said in my original post - I knew I was going during Spring Break. Its not the fact the kids were there - its the fact that they had no supervision was the point I was making. I have been places where there were just as many kids being supervised properly & it was no big deal. It was actually fun.

What I expected from the dining room was to find NO beetle in my salad. I expect that from any restaurant I go to. Don't you?

Highly doubt that is going to happen when the very first thing noticed was the 5 inches of dust on the TV! Reading the rest of the rant was pointless after that. :(

I was excited when I learned that Victory was going into dry dock before our cruise on her this June.....but after reading post dry dock reports I'm a little disappointed. Apparently all they did was add 2 bars. :mad:

Was hoping for a little more than that.

Highly doubt that is going to happen when the very first thing noticed was the 5 inches of dust on the TV! Reading the rest of the rant was pointless after that. :(

Then why are you responding?? This was not a rant - it was my experience & I am putting it out there for a "Buyer Beware" purpose. I am guessing none of the things I mentioned every happened to you. Every vacation you have ever gone on - cruise or land - has been absolutely perfect.

Lucky you!

I was excited when I learned that Victory was going into dry dock before our cruise on her this June.....but after reading post dry dock reports I'm a little disappointed. Apparently all they did was add 2 bars. :mad:

Was hoping for a little more than that.

I was as well. There were a lot of people on the ship saying the same thing.

5 inches of dust?! Sorry, but if you are going to exaggerate about that, I can't help but wonder what else you are exaggerating about.

And I'm sorry, but the lack of supervision of the children on board is not the cruise ship's fault. It's the fault of the ignorant, selfish parents that can't be bothered by supervising their own kids. If I were in your situation, nothing would have stopped me from scolding the kids myself. And if their parents don't like it, oh well, then they need to discipline their kids themselves.

Edited by bakersdozen12

Then why are you responding?? This was not a rant - it was my experience & I am putting it out there for a "Buyer Beware" purpose. I am guessing none of the things I mentioned every happened to you. Every vacation you have ever gone on - cruise or land - has been absolutely perfect.

Lucky you!

Nope, never had 5 inches of dust and highly doubt you did either. Rants would be more believable if they weren't filled with hyperbole.

Has every vacation of mine been perfect.....no......I don't believe anything is perfect. Have I ever had to hype my disappointments......nope never did that either.

Oh, and I'm responding because this is a public board and I'm allowed to. Any other questions?

Carry on.

Edited by Out to sea!

Nope, never had 5 inches of dust and highly doubt you did either. Rants would be more believable if they weren't filled with hyperbole.

Has every vacation of mine been perfect.....no......I don't believe anything is perfect. Have I ever had to hype my disappointments......nope never did that either.

Oh, and I'm responding because this is a public board and I'm allowed to. Any other questions?

Carry on.

I didn't get out a ruler & measure - so maybe 5 inches is an exaggeration. Regardless (or Irregardless - however you say it)- I feel that there should have been NO dust on the TV considering the rooms should be cleaned prior to the new customers arriving to the room. I expect that at any other hotel I go to & I expect that on a cruise ship as well. You can't tell me you wouldn't have reacted the same way and not have an issue with it.

Unfortunately, you will not find any sympathy here on the Carnival forum.

Hopefully there won't be a next time, but if you encounter any issues - go to Guest Services and kindly request them to solve these to your satisfaction. Everyone deserves a clean room and a beetle-free salad after paying for a cruise.

I think that you have very valid complaints. Dirty and dust (even if it's a light coat and not 5 inches), trash in your room, insects in your food, etc would've annoyed me to.

However, I think that people are reacting more at the exaggerations and edgier comments than at the actual complaints. When reviews are sensationalized, Cruise Critic people attack!

Edited by Tapi

I don't understand all the hostility against the OP. She was merely reporting what she felt were inadequacies of her cruise. Anyone who says they don't exaggerate at times to get a point across is full of crap! So maybe there weren't 5 inches of dust. Dust on the TV and leftovers from previous travelers in the bathroom and on the balcony would upset anyone.

A beetle in the salad would upset anyones appetite and unsupervised children can put a damper on a vacation.

This forum is to alert, notify, share, good and bad things that occur while on your cruise.

I've been on 11 Carnival cruises and enjoyed each and everyone but that doesn't mean I've not had some issues to go along with the good.

With that said, thank you OP for your report. Sorry to hear about the issues you had but hope all in all you enjoyed your cruise. Grow up people!

Anyone who says they don't exaggerate at times to get a point across is full of crap! !

True, but the problem with that is that, for someone reading a review and looking for objective information, exaggerations make it hard to tell fact from fiction. They can turn a perfectly informative review (even if it's negative) into a useless waste of time.

Edited by Tapi