How important is the ship?

maggieworkman

I am starting to plan an Alaskan cruise for 2016 for our 25th Anniversary. It will be me, DH, our 2 DDs (20 ish), and my mother. I REALLY want the itinerary of the Northbound cruise on the NCL Sun (Hubbard Glacier AND Glacier Bay). However, the ship really doesn't interest me in the least. So I am leaning towards the Celebrity Infinity that only goes to Hubbard Glacier. We are restricted to going during June, July or August as I am a teacher.

I imagine myself sitting in the Solarium reading my book while watching the scenery go by. In addition to watching the view from the deck. On the sun, there doesn't seem to be anywhere inside to really sit and pass the time except maybe the front lounge, which I imagine is not conducive to sitting and reading a book and relaxing. Am I way off base here?

However, I have been reading reviews and everyone basically just talks about their excursions and most don't mention the ship that much. So is the ship not that important? Should I go for the itinerary I want even though I can't imagine what we will do on the ship?

Maggie

Edited by maggieworkman

I've cruised to Alaska five times - two 7 day sailings and three 14 day sailings, all on Holland America; along w/that a 17 day land only DIY trip, which we also greatly enjoyed. To say I'm obsessed with Alaska is an understatement:D (hey, don't judge, it isn't a bad thing;)).

For me, Alaska is ALL about the itinerary, and the ship is secondary - simply a means to get from port to port - nothing more than my floating hotel. Pick the itinerary w/the longest port times and the glaciers you want to see. While I personally love Hubbard, I've been very lucky to get quite close on all my sailings but one. That being said, many ships don't get as close to Hubbard as you might like, and that can be a disappointing experience for first time AK visitors. Precisely why Glacier Bay on your itinerary is a huge plus - you WILL see glaciers there and it is just a magical experience sailing thru Glacier Bay.

Alaska sailings are so port intensive, with each stop jam packed with doing the activities we enjoy - whale watching, flightseeing, hiking, kayaking, etc. Nothing like warm weather sailing where the scenery is more of the same - blue waters and lots of sandy coastlines. Alaska is a whole other experience - its all about the wildlife, mountains, glaciers, and amazing scenery.

We spend every minute in port, and by the time we reboard the ship, we normally grab a quick dinner in the Lido, then head to a public deck to scan the sea for whales and other marine wildlife, and to just enjoy the passing scenery. We are normally exhausted after a long, active day in port, and hit the hay fairly early. Rarely do we attend shows or participate in other shipboard activities.

So it all depends on what YOU want to do and are looking for on an Alaskan cruise. For us, it is all about what is OUTSIDE the ship, of course your mileage may vary. You can do as much....or as little at you like, aboard the ship.

Given the two itineraries you mentioned, I'd definitely go with the Sun, which includes Glacier Bay, along w/Hubbard.

Good luck in your mission.

I've cruised to Alaska five times - two 7 day sailings and three 14 day sailings, all on Holland America; along w/that a 17 day land only DIY trip, which we also greatly enjoyed. To say I'm obsessed with Alaska is an understatement:D (hey, don't judge, it isn't a bad thing;)).

For me, Alaska is ALL about the itinerary, and the ship is secondary - simply a means to get from port to port - nothing more than my floating hotel. Pick the itinerary w/the longest port times and the glaciers you want to see. While I personally love Hubbard, I've been very lucky to get quite close on all my sailings but one. That being said, many ships don't get as close to Hubbard as you might like, and that can be a disappointing experience for first time AK visitors. Precisely why Glacier Bay on your itinerary is a huge plus - you WILL see glaciers there and it is just a magical experience sailing thru Glacier Bay.

Alaska sailings are so port intensive, with each stop jam packed with doing the activities we enjoy - whale watching, flightseeing, hiking, kayaking, etc. Nothing like warm weather sailing where the scenery is more of the same - blue waters and lots of sandy coastlines. Alaska is a whole other experience - its all about the wildlife, mountains, glaciers, and amazing scenery.

We spend every minute in port, and by the time we reboard the ship, we normally grab a quick dinner in the Lido, then head to a public deck to scan the sea for whales and other marine wildlife, and to just enjoy the passing scenery. We are normally exhausted after a long, active day in port, and hit the hay fairly early. Rarely do we attend shows or participate in other shipboard activities.

So it all depends on what YOU want to do and are looking for on an Alaskan cruise. For us, it is all about what is OUTSIDE the ship, of course your mileage may vary. You can do as much....or as little at you like, aboard the ship.

Given the two itineraries you mentioned, I'd definitely go with the Sun, which includes Glacier Bay, along w/Hubbard.

Good luck in your mission.

But the Sun itinerary only has 3 port days - so, 3 fulls days on the ship. Although 2 of those are cruising Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay.

Maggie

I cannot entirely agree. I have taken two Alaska cruises- one on Carnival and one on Princess. The itineraries were nearly identical. What made the difference for me was that Princess had a wonderful naturalist (NCL has no naturalists) while the one on Carnval was not even adequate. In many ways we preferred the Carnival Spirit- we had better service and many things ran more smootly. For example, our rooms on Princess were almost never serviced before noon, sometimes much later., compared to our rooms always being serviced while we were at breakfast on Carnival. And our dining room staff on Princess were poor. But the attention to the natural world happening outside- sightins of whales and birds while we were cruising, for example, was far superior on the Princess. We have just booked again on Princess for this summer- with luck the service will be better on the Pacific Princess, and the naturalist as good. You might look at the Pacific Princess- they have a large viewing lounge which might be the kind of thing you are looking for. And go to both Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay on the southbound trip. I couldn't see spending a day simply cruising when we could be spending the day at another glacier!

Like AIP, my trips to Alaska are about Alaska. Don't care about the food, the accommodation, onboard activities, or the crew. If there is some sort of food, and someplace dry to sleep, and someplace to watch the scenery, THAT is what I want :) I'm planning a cruise this year on a ship I am completely underwhelmed by, because I want to do the itinerary. I again agree with AIP on the Hubbard/Glacier Bay itinerary.

Here is a bit of what we did on our last AK cruise - RT Seattle on the NCL Pearl. There were three of us Me my DW and my MIL. We had not seen her in quite some time so there was lots of time spent in the suite just talking and watching the scenery go by.

One thing about Alaska is that instead of ocean on all sides you have mountains, glaciers, eagles, bears, and whales to watch. I find I spend lots of time with my binoculars just looking for all of it. It doesn't matter if you are on your own balcony or in one of the public areas. BTW the Sun does have a great FWD observation area. Also the Forward suites on decks 8,9,&11 are great for AK. - I also like the AFT cabins as they don't have any wind to speak of.

Sun PM - ate dinner - went to the fwd lounge to watch the sights as we sailed the Strait of Juan DaFuca - saw an Orca pod - watched the sun set.

Went to the shows.

Mon AM - sea day - slept in - attended meet and greet, Had misc other receptions (being a latitudes member and being in a suite. Explored the ship. Watched Vancouver Island go by.

Tue: AM had a bridge tour (CC meet and greet perk) PM Juneau - shore excursions.

PM late supper (got back to the ship around 9:30 PM)

Wed: Skagway - excursions all day

Thur: Glacier Bay - all day. Park Rangers onboard giving a talk on the history and geology of the bay

Fri Ketchikan - 1/2 day excursions - shopping. Left port around 1:30, lounged around watching the scenery float by as we motored for Victoria.

Sat: Victoria BC - all of us had been to Victoria several times so we stayed onboard and enjoyed a quiet dinner and took care of business and packed.

Sun: MIL took early off to catch her flight home. We stayed a bit longer and then headed for the train station for our trip home.

So can someone tell me what a typical day would be for you on an Alaska cruise? For example, the day we view Hubbard Glacier, what would you be doing all day?

Thanks,

Maggie

To be honest, the day WE got Hubbard Glacier on our itinerary (back in 2000), I was so incredibly exhausted from my job, I just slept :) That was the theme of that entire cruise -- sleep, nap, eat, nap, sleep. Many years ago, before I left my career.

On my most recent Alaska cruise, this is how it went .....

Embarkation day evening watched the scenery

Sea day watched the scenery. Saw whales and dolphins.

Juneau pre-docking. Up at 6 am, walked the promenade deck, watched for whales from the aft deck.

Tracy Arm cruising. Up early to just watch. On deck for nearly all of Tracy Arm. Once we turned around, I stayed on deck with about 100 other people, watching WHALES until 5ish pm :D

For Glacier Bay I try to get up early to just watch the scenery and watch for wildlife. I stay out on deck, pretty much. A dash back inside to get coffee and a nibble, from time to time. But mostly I'm outside. Scenery, glacier calving, wildlife.

If your previous cruises have been in the Caribbean, I understand that this entire "there's SO MUCH TO SEE" thing will be difficult to comprehend. My first few cruises were to Alaska, and then when we went to the Caribbean, it was "wow, nothing to see here" when we were not in port :D

Keep asking questions. There are many very experienced Alaska-cruisers on this forum. Lots of people will help you.

So can someone tell me what a typical day would be for you on an Alaska cruise? For example, the day we view Hubbard Glacier, what would you be doing all day?

Thanks,

Maggie

I was on the Sun 3 times this past summer, along with the Miracle and Pearl in Alaska. Frankly, the Sun is a crappy ship. :) There is some limited front inside viewing, but on popular days you will have to camp out for a front seat. :)

Frankly, I'm not "reading books", if I'm sailing Alaska (or anywhere else that I'm interested in the "outside") It is way too much of a distraction. I'm constantly looking through binoculars, scanning. I do, know the areas precisely and have the advantage of multiple sailings. A ship naturalist in Alaska can be of significant advantage for those with more interest as they should be able to point out specific areas and note details not known by most visitors. I do have to disagree, with the above comment on Carnival. They have on board one of the top 3 naturalists, in my opinion that now sails Alaska. They note the Spirit which hasn't been sailing there for years? NCL is clearly lacking in this department.

I like being outside, so that is my preference, the open side, lower decks, are best for me, I walk between both sides, but having some protection from wind and rain is of benefit. I never have any problem getting rail space, even in "busy" Glacier Bay. So, I dispute those "crowd" comments as it isn't as bad as some claim. I've been on close to 50 Alaska cruises.

Everyone is different, I never fail to hear of people who don't see any wildlife or who just "relax on the ship". All well and good as long as no regrets- which I frequently hear as well. So, only point I will make is to not skimp on tours. I never compromise- I do exactly what tours I want. :) Yep a lot of repeats for me, but that is my priority. Find your own way with taking a hard look at what you want out of your Alaska trip and how long it is going to take you to return. (even going yearly isn't "often" :) )

I think the ship is important if cruising is your vacation style and 1st in importance and destination is 2nd in importance. I am on the fence about which cruise to take my husband and son on for their first cruise, but so far I'm leaning towards Alaska on the Radiance of the Seas because of the itinerary AND ship. I've been on 3 AK cruises and hated Princess, but loved HAL (but I don't want to bring my 7 yr old on HAL). I was in my teens/early 20s on my 3 trips there, so my advice is a bit old. However I lived there for 4 yrs so I have seen the tourist side AND the "real" Alaska!

For me the ship is important because I want their first cruise to be fun. I don't want it to be a ship of old people that go to bed at 7pm and all activities shut down. Nothing against old people! I just want him to have kids to play with. I also don't want it to be old, dingy, smelly, etc. That being said, I will not flex on the itinerary having been there, done that, and knowing exactly what I want to see and do. I want a southbound from Seward cruise so we can spend a day in Anchorage for old times sake and see the wildlife refuge in Portage. I want to take the train to the ship (not from it). Unfortunately only Princess leaves from Whittier which would be awesome last I heard but I won't go on Princess. Itinerary has limited me to a handful of ships and narrowing it down from there, RCCL looks like the best ship for us. Have you checked the Radiance of the Seas? Mixed reviews, but doesn't every ship?

I think the ship is important if cruising is your vacation style and 1st in importance and destination is 2nd in importance. I am on the fence about which cruise to take my husband and son on for their first cruise, but so far I'm leaning towards Alaska on the Radiance of the Seas because of the itinerary AND ship. I've been on 3 AK cruises and hated Princess, but loved HAL (but I don't want to bring my 7 yr old on HAL). I was in my teens/early 20s on my 3 trips there, so my advice is a bit old. However I lived there for 4 yrs so I have seen the tourist side AND the "real" Alaska!

For me the ship is important because I want their first cruise to be fun. I don't want it to be a ship of old people that go to bed at 7pm and all activities shut down. Nothing against old people! I just want him to have kids to play with. I also don't want it to be old, dingy, smelly, etc. That being said, I will not flex on the itinerary having been there, done that, and knowing exactly what I want to see and do. I want a southbound from Seward cruise so we can spend a day in Anchorage for old times sake and see the wildlife refuge in Portage. I want to take the train to the ship (not from it). Unfortunately only Princess leaves from Whittier which would be awesome last I heard but I won't go on Princess. Itinerary has limited me to a handful of ships and narrowing it down from there, RCCL looks like the best ship for us. Have you checked the Radiance of the Seas? Mixed reviews, but doesn't every ship?

Having sailed Alaska repeatedly on every major line (including the Radiance)- IN Alaska (except Disney), demographics are SIMILAR on all of them. No party ships going on with Carnival, and walkers and wheelchairs aren't the only passengers on HAL. So, in my opinion, you are making assumptions that aren't true. It is quiet in the evening on most all Alaska ship, through out the different lines.

it is a personal choice, with something for everyone. :)

The Sun does BOTH Hubbard Glacier AND Glacier Bay. I just am not sure it is worth that to be on the Sun. I see nothing to do on the Sun. There are 3 full days on the ship.

I understand going to Alaska to see the sites. I just am having a hard time imagining spending the WHOLE day out on deck in the cold looking at scenery. I thought kicking back and relaxing at the pool or the spa (not massage type things but heated tile loungers, thallasopool, etc.) for a little bit of the time sounds like something I would do. But we've never been to Alaska.

I was just thinking the Sun wouldn't appeal to my 24 and 21 year olds.

Still deciding. But everyone's comments are helping.

Maggie

I understand going to Alaska to see the sites. I just am having a hard time imagining spending the WHOLE day out on deck in the cold looking at scenery.

Well, it's not always that cold on an Alaskan cruise, since those really only take place in the summer. So it's not necessarily going to be you sitting in the cold.

Glacier day, sure, from my one experience, it'll be cold. But the other days, not necessarily. We were late in the season on our AK cruise, but it was still sunny and pretty most days. Not hot, but we weren't shivering, either.

The Sun does BOTH Hubbard Glacier AND Glacier Bay. I just am not sure it is worth that to be on the Sun. I see nothing to do on the Sun. There are 3 full days on the ship.

I understand going to Alaska to see the sites. I just am having a hard time imagining spending the WHOLE day out on deck in the cold looking at scenery. I thought kicking back and relaxing at the pool or the spa (not massage type things but heated tile loungers, thallasopool, etc.) for a little bit of the time sounds like something I would do. But we've never been to Alaska.

Maggie

You seem to have a preference for the ship, so, frankly, you need to look more at the ships and get a ship that has a good spa and covered pool area. RCI could be a great ship for you as an example. But, people do not really "relax at the pool" on Alaska cruises unless they are enclosed. And even then, not a lot of people do this. Very different if you are comparing to Caribbean.

You may also, want a cruise line that has more programs and a ship naturalist on board.

ALL ships sailing Glacier Bay will be the same type of day since the program is run by the Park service.

• 2 months later...
I was on the Sun 3 times this past summer, along with the Miracle and Pearl in Alaska. Frankly, the Sun is a crappy ship. :) There is some limited front inside viewing, but on popular days you will have to camp out for a front seat. :)

Frankly, I'm not "reading books", if I'm sailing Alaska (or anywhere else that I'm interested in the "outside") It is way too much of a distraction. I'm constantly looking through binoculars, scanning. I do, know the areas precisely and have the advantage of multiple sailings. A ship naturalist in Alaska can be of significant advantage for those with more interest as they should be able to point out specific areas and note details not known by most visitors. I do have to disagree, with the above comment on Carnival. They have on board one of the top 3 naturalists, in my opinion that now sails Alaska. They note the Spirit which hasn't been sailing there for years? NCL is clearly lacking in this department.

I like being outside, so that is my preference, the open side, lower decks, are best for me, I walk between both sides, but having some protection from wind and rain is of benefit. I never have any problem getting rail space, even in "busy" Glacier Bay. So, I dispute those "crowd" comments as it isn't as bad as some claim. I've been on close to 50 Alaska cruises.

Everyone is different, I never fail to hear of people who don't see any wildlife or who just "relax on the ship". All well and good as long as no regrets- which I frequently hear as well. So, only point I will make is to not skimp on tours. I never compromise- I do exactly what tours I want. :) Yep a lot of repeats for me, but that is my priority. Find your own way with taking a hard look at what you want out of your Alaska trip and how long it is going to take you to return. (even going yearly isn't "often" :) )

Budget queen, I'm interested in what excursions you go on and why. We will be going to Juneau Sitka and Ketchikan in June. Being able to do things you can "only do in Alaska" would be great. DH wants to go on the zip line in Juneau and I wanted to try the deadliest catch boat in Ketchikan. Would also like to have the opportunity to see the humpback "bubble netting". All of our other vacations have been on Maui so we've seen the whales birthing and playing, it would be great to see the other side of their life.

Budget Queen I agree. Would love to hear your top excursions you do, especially for wildlife viewing. Great question, I was thinking the same thing Tropicgirl! We have the same ports too.

Edited by cruisevers

Maggie

it's a slightly old post and not sure if you've made your decision yet, but, I can tell you as an avid reader (I brought 17 books with me on a cruise from Puerto Rico through the Panama Canal up the Mexican Riviera to San Francisco - 17 days and I not only read all 17 books, I swapped out some at the free paperback shelf on the ship, traded with one of my cruising companions for 2 more and had to buy a book at the airport for the flight home), the only book out of all the ones I brought with me to Alaska that I ever read was the mile by mile guide. I was so awed and amazed by the view we were sailing past that I couldn't turn away from it to read. From a momma otter with her babies riding on her belly, to the bald eagles, to, ... my husband's excellent binoculars are the first thing I am packing for my upcoming Alaska cruise.

but, if you are going for a cruise vacation first, Alaska vacation second - go with a ship that offers more.

I am conflicted, because, it isn't about what I like to do. :) I advocate for individual selections, and not, feeling like you have to join the club of the popular tours. :)

I never skimp on my selections, I promote that as well!!

OK, I am always in the air. I am drawn to the vastness and beauty of the various Alaska terrain. I never tire of searching out wildlife, even though the "searching" is most of the time. I don't hesitate to book touring options for wildlife opportunities. In my case- always, the more I go out the more I see. Main reason, I repeat a lot. I like what I like, and don't care, if, I just did it the day before. Ok- Not right- is it??? Mainland Alaska, Kenai Fjords, Prince William Sound and Denali are visiting givens.

I have to say, one of my favorite animals to see in the wild are the Musk Ox. The epitome of laziness- is their lifestyle. I was fortunate to view 3 herds last year. I am a humpback girl, I'm on close to 20 trips a year now. I am fortunate to have a great vendor out of Cape Ann, Ma., along with boat tours out of Juneau and Hawaii every year.

The Native culture in Alaska, is amazing. I treasure the customs and history, their link to the past and present. Some similarity with native Hawaiians. I'm thankful for the short time I get to experience it when I'm there.

So, again- I encourage a wide look at the sightseeing opportunities and if something catches your interest- look further into it. Try new things. Enjoy Alaska.

Budget queen, I'm interested in what excursions you go on and why. We will be going to Juneau Sitka and Ketchikan in June. Being able to do things you can "only do in Alaska" would be great. DH wants to go on the zip line in Juneau and I wanted to try the deadliest catch boat in Ketchikan. Would also like to have the opportunity to see the humpback "bubble netting". All of our other vacations have been on Maui so we've seen the whales birthing and playing, it would be great to see the other side of their life.

Bubble netting is rare to see. The "group" is temporary and maybe stays at the feeding behavior a day or 2. Most likely times are July/ August. I went out twice the same day last year, due to active bubble netting, but that was the only day I saw it.

I was on Sun in Alaska after a 10 yr. absence from NCL .Wanted to do Solstice AK, then on to Hawaii on her. Passenger Service Vessel Act prohibited B2B on same ship without distant port between voyages. ,Sun as only one that worked with HA leg. It was really bad. Lousy old ship, no ammenities like said and poor food.I found all of Alaska looked about the same. My vote would be Solstice, which should please your whole group.Go early for best ice.

Princess does Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay on all southbound trips.

Coral and Island are the Panamax ships so are smaller than some of the other large girls going to Alaska.

Wonderful forward and aft viewing areas from several decks(which were great during the Panama canal transit).

Ships are narrower and it was easy to walk back and forth on several decks to view each side.

Horizon Court is forward-so nice views while you eat.

Naturalists on board as well as park rangers.

Libby Riddles has an EXCLUSIVE contract with Princess and she comes aboard in Juneau with her dogs and gives a presentation about the Iditarod.

Covered pool area so you can swim anytime.

I believe they introduced a new Taste of Alaska menu and are partnering with several local restaurants to duplicate and/or bring on fresh seafood?

Spa had some great body treatments-loved their massage "menu".

I appreciate this topic. We will be going to Alaska in August and our plan is to walk the promenade deck every morning before breakfast (exercise and sightseeing) and spend the sea days on deck or in the lounge at the top of the ship to see the beautiful scenery. I doubt we'll do much else on sea days (unless we get cold or there's no visibility). On Port days we're going to spend every minute we can off the ship.

From what everyone else is saying I think our plan is a good one.