"I wish I knew before..."

T&Dcruisers

1.) As the morning progresses on sea days, the running track becomes congested and becomes the walking track. If you want to do serious running, or even jogging, get there early.

2.) Others will disagree, but I prefer the second seatings at supper. You aren't rushed when you get back from shore excursions, giving you time to nap, go to the gym, sit by the pool, etc. before dinner.

3.) Though ships may officially say there's no reserving deck chairs, in my experience (four Carnival cruises, though I'm going on Celebrity in February) those who didn't reserve went without.

4.) If, like me, you find the sea day organized pool activities (hairy chest contests etc.) too noisy or annoying (or both) head for the pool area behind the upper deck buffets at the back of the ship. You can't hear the main pool area activities. On Carnival they do play piped in music there, but not too loudly. (Give me a hot day, a cold beer, a good book, and peace and quiet and I'm a very happy man!)

5.) Prices in shipboard shops often get cheaper as the cruise progresses. (On one cruise, the $80 watch sets became the $20 watch sets.)

6.) I never eat at the breakfast buffets. They're crowded, and you can get the same food served to you in the dining rooms. Go early if you have a shore excursion.

7.) On our last cruise, which included Panama, the shore excursion which included the full canal crossing was sold out before the cruise started. You should probably book this one in advance.

8.) While in port, there's nothing stopping you from coming back to the ship for lunch, and then going back to port.

9.) Be open to meeting new people and experiencing new activities. Don't sweat the small stuff, and have fun.

10.) Repeat #9.

Re: #6: Order room service if going on an early shore excursion- this way you can continue getting ready while eating, sipping coffee, etc. If ordering coffee for 2 and you want more than a cup each - order coffee for 3 or more - and for the other items - put number required on by each. We always managed to be first or second on line for the exit ramps this way. We would always order a pitcher of water to fill out water bottles with also.

Re: #'s 9 & 10 - repeat.

Another very important thing to take ANY TIME you travel is a package or two of antibacterial hand wipes and a small bottle of hand sanitizer. The wipes are to wipe down every surface in your cabin that has been touched by the previous occupant...TV remote, light switches, door handle & dead bolt, hair dryer, closet doors, desk/vanity, bathroom counter, drawer pulls, etc. ...you can't be too careful! There should be no shortage of hand sanitizer on the ship, but when you go ashore, it's definitely a must to have with you.

There are some really wonderful suggestions on this thread; newbies read & heed! I'm an experienced cruiser but I've learned a lot from you guys...thanks for taking the time to post!!!

kruzkween

What a thread! Very good points.

I loved that someone mentioned bringing documents of proof of marriage if you have different last names. Even if you did have the same name it is good to bring this copy. You never know what another country will do or not in case of an emergency.

This is a good point. I've see this happen (but not to me), but make sure the name on the ticket is the name on your ID/Passport. Especially if you just got married or your secretary made the reservation for you (in her name). Yes this has happened. You won't get to board without proper documentation. And if traveling with minors, and the other parent is not there, you need a letter from them ok'ing the trip.

M*U*G*-

Did you happen to be watching that show on the Oasis of the Seas? They showed exactly those two boarding issues! The poor guy who's assistant made the reservation, so his name was not on the boarding pass...he die not get to go, and I am pretty sure someone got fired when he got back home! Could not believe he had not looked at the documents before he left!

How true. One thing we really, really wished we'd bought in the Caribbean was a T-shirt saying 'Different island, same s**t!' (slightly unfair because the souvenirs generally are nice, but we agreed with the sentiment!) Definitely agree with buying souvenirs in St Maarten if that's on your trip - much wider choice and cheaper prices than most of the others.

Good to know! I'll be shopping in St. Maarten on 12/23/11! :) :D

This is an interesting point, which I haven't come across before. Which line does this?

Ships are different. Some of the older ones have these "magnetic strip" safe openings. The newer ones (Carnival Dream and magic) have a number pad. You put in ANY 4 or 5 digit code you want and it locks. To unlock it you just need to put in the same code.

That means that the suitcases can fit inside each other so that you only have the largest suitcase size to store. The rest will be inside the large one.

If your suitcases don't nest try to place them under the bed open and use them as "pull out" drawers instead !! our suit case was too high closed so we did this and created a "drawer" under. the bed for shoes etc....:D;):rolleyes:

If you plan to be in the sun more than 20 minutes bring sunscreen and where it. I once burned terribly in Melbourne when the high was 75 on Christmas. I had to change my massage 2 times until the burn went away. :eek:

Even 20 minutes is long enough to burn without sunscreen:eek: and it take it up to 1/2 hour to begin to work once applied:rolleyes:, so best to apply before going in sun anytime:cool:, also moisturize your skin and the sunscreen will get the benefit of it as moisturized skin generally doesn't burn so fast as dry. ;)

Ships are different. Some of the older ones have these "magnetic strip" safe openings. The newer ones (Carnival Dream and magic) have a number pad. You put in ANY 4 or 5 digit code you want and it locks. To unlock it you just need to put in the same code.

Interesting. All the ones I've seen have had either the number pad, or that plus the cruise card (which had the magnetic strip). Didn't realise some needed a different card - thanks!

How will I ever get all this stuff in our luggage and carry ones?

Make or get tiny versions of everything. Don't take a regular large-size highlighter; purchase a half-size tiny one. Get a tiny sewing kit (or make your own). You can buy flashlights so small they attach to a key ring. Don't take a ROLL of duct tape, just some long strips of it....you get the picture!

Some pharmacies sell plastic ziploc bags that are 3" X 3". The next time you refill your prescript, ask them to put the label on one of these bags instead of the bottle, and this will save a lot of space.

Make or get tiny versions of everything. Don't take a regular large-size highlighter; purchase a half-size tiny one. Get a tiny sewing kit (or make your own). You can buy flashlights so small they attach to a key ring. Don't take a ROLL of duct tape, just some long strips of it....you get the picture!

Some pharmacies sell plastic ziploc bags that are 3" X 3". The next time you refill your prescript, ask them to put the label on one of these bags instead of the bottle, and this will save a lot of space.

And those little bags can always be found in crafting stores. They are good for so many things!

I wish I'd known then . . .

1. To book early and check for price drops often. This gets you the best choice of rooms (and all rooms, even within the same category, aren't equal -- some locations are better than others, some offer a better balcony for the same price).

2. To pack lightly. No one (except you) cares what you're wearing during the day; it makes living in a small room easier, and it makes self-disembarkation possible. There are always a couple threads on this board about lost luggage/valuables -- being able to manage it yourself is a worthwhile goal. Do pack plenty of swim suits and cover ups -- you'll spend more time wearing those than anything else.

3. To avoid ship's excursions. They're over-priced and over-sized. You can get much better quality for a bargain price -- and don't believe the "you'll be left behind on an island" scare tactic". You can read a wristwatch, right?

4. To feel that you don't have to do it all. You can have a great time onboard without spending extra, without attending events, etc. Do as much (or as little) as you wish.

5. To pack all the small necessities you're likely to need. A bottle of Neosporin or asprin onboard will probably run you $10. A disposable waterproof camera will be close to $20. Don't over-pack junk that you're not going to need (I've never yet found a use for an extension cord or duct tape), but do pack realistically for all the small things you're likely to need.

6. To buy travel insurance. Don't go through the cruise line -- you can buy it less expensively elsewhere -- but do buy it. Having been forced to cancel a cruise only days beforehand, I can promise you that I cried enough WITHOUT losing the money I'd paid for the tickets.

7. To arrive in the port city (or within an hour's drive) the night before the cruise embarks. This is the cheapest insurance you can get. Even for those of us who are close enough to drive to our ports, so many things could set us back a couple hours and prevent us from meeting our ship. This is absolutely a set-in-stone gotta-do-it rule. If, for some reason, I couldn't get to my port a day ahead, I'd choose a different cruise at a different time.

8. To eat lightly onboard. The first time I cruised, I was a little surprised at the small portions they served in the dining room . . . but I quickly realized that I wasn't used to eating an appetizer . . . and a salad . . . or a soup . . . and bread . . . and an entree . . . and at that first meal, I was simply too stuffed to eat dessert. What a tragedy! Now I choose EITHER an appetizer OR a soup OR a salad . . . and an entree . . . and the dessert. I skip the bread entirely, judging it to be nothing I can't get at home. I can't manage it all -- or, at least, I can't manage it all comfortably.

9. To discuss your expectations ahead of time with your traveling companions, especially if those companions are children. Be sure that everyone else is on the same page as far as spending, sleeping in vs. seeing the sunset, shore excursions, etc. It's better to hash these things out ahead of time rather than to assume that everyone has the same plans you do.

10. To mail a package to myself at the first-night hotel, a package containing all my toiletries. It completely eliminates the problem of flying with liquids. Last summer I picked up a $14 pre-paid mailer (stuff as much as you want into that package) that held my family of four's toiletries for three weeks. (It was packed tightly, but it had everything from shaving cream to sunscreen.) I called a couple days ahead and verified that it was waiting for us at our first night hotel. So much easier than bothering with the 3-ounces and ziplocks. This plan also allowed my husband to have his pocket knife.

I have read most of this board and this is the BEST of them all!! Thanks

I have a question about the pre-paid gratuities and tipping in general.

I wholeheartedly support tipping and appreciating good service.

My question is more about doing the right thing than anything else.

Is it fair to give tips as you see fit on a continuous basis everyday (to the cabin staff, waiters at dinner etc), and then when disembarking give cash roughly equivalent/slightly more to the difference between what you have tipped and the standard $11.65/person/day (rather than having the ship charge you for the gratuities)? This is assuming I have paid out less in tips during the cruise. If on the other hand I have paid out more in tips, what is fair to give as gratuities at the end?

If that is fair, how do I go about doing this? Instruct the ship NOT to deduct gratuities from my credit card? Is that even possible?

I have a question about the pre-paid gratuities and tipping in general.

I wholeheartedly support tipping and appreciating good service.

My question is more about doing the right thing than anything else.

Is it fair to give tips as you see fit on a continuous basis everyday (to the cabin staff, waiters at dinner etc), and then when disembarking give cash roughly equivalent/slightly more to the difference between what you have tipped and the standard $11.65/person/day (rather than having the ship charge you for the gratuities)? This is assuming I have paid out less in tips during the cruise. If on the other hand I have paid out more in tips, what is fair to give as gratuities at the end?

If that is fair, how do I go about doing this? Instruct the ship NOT to deduct gratuities from my credit card? Is that even possible?

My opinion is to pre pay your tips.

If you want to do more, feel free to tip whomever you please.

I always go with the pre-paid tips, but if service has been exceptional by any service provider, I put "extra" in an envelope and tip more on the last night. The purser's desk will usually give you the envelopes if you just ask.

kruzkween

I go to the Purser's Desk when I get onboard and prepay my tips in cash and usually put 500-700 on our account even though we don't use it all. But I've discovered on my few cruises that we are sooo laid back we don't use the dining room, we just become free spirits and eat whatever, wherever. Do I have to TIP the maitre' d and waitstaff when we don't grace the dining room?