A kinder, gentler Holland America Cruise Line forum

soccerpapi

Can we all make a pledge to create a kinder, gentler Holland America Cruise Line forum?

It would be great to avoid some of the personal attacks and that we make an effort to treat each other with respect.

This same request has been posted on another cruise lines forum and it seems to be working.

It is fine that we disagree on things, and sometimes we need to just agree to disagree and move on.

Hoping that many will take the pledge and follow through in making the Holland America forum a kinder, gentler place.

soccer

I think it should be common for those to post with respect for others. Differing opinions are common and one of the best parts of the forums, to get the various viewpoints.. We should all be mature enough not to attack each other. I'm thinking those that don't want to agree might not care how their posts affect others. Just my viewpoint. This is not pointing to anyone in particular. Happy posting.

Can we all make a pledge to create a kinder, gentler Holland America Cruise Line forum?

It would be great to avoid some of the personal attacks and that we make an effort to treat each other with respect.

This same request has been posted on another cruise lines forum and it seems to be working.

It is fine that we disagree on things, and sometimes we need to just agree to disagree and move on.

Hoping that many will take the pledge and follow through in making the Holland America forum a kinder, gentler place.

soccer

I just noticed you posted the same thread on the Disney Forum. They aren't kind and gentle there?

Did you put it on other boards?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2090482

Edited by sail7seas

Sorry, not me. I won't attack you personally, but my opinion might differ with yours. Allow me to express my opinion, which might not agree with yours, and you are free to comment. It's called the First Amendment.

For what it is worth, nobody who posts on the CC boards has a First Amendment right to express an opinion. As this is not a government run forum, the First Amendment is inapplicable.

Not suggesting you can't voice your opinion, understand, just that it is not a constitutional issue. (Sorry, as a lawyer who spends her days wallowing in constitutional stuff, I can't stop myself from the correction - absolutely no offense intended).

Sorry, not me. I won't attack you personally, but my opinion might differ with yours. Allow me to express my opinion, which might not agree with yours, and you are free to comment. It's called the First Amendment.

I agree with you. Everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion without being attacked or bullied.

Thank you for agreeing with me. Welcome to the kinder, gentler Holland America Cruise Line forum.

soccer

The problem we see too often on the HAL board (and less frequently elsewhere) are when posters attack other posters for what they have said, rather then dealing with the facts of the post. If a poster complains about lousy food, it is fine to say that you disagree (based on your own real experience) but it is not fine to take a shot at the poster. We might post 20 posts that are positive about HAL. But if we then post one negative post we will be accused of "always posting bad things about HAL" or "hating HAL" or getting a post like, "well, if you don't like HAL why do you cruise on the line" etc etc.

One can disagree with a post without being nasty to the poster :)

Hank

Those taking the "Pledge" really are not the people who need to, and the ones who should be, won't be taking the "Pledge"

Fortunately the "Ignore" feature works very well.

Rather than trying to change the behaviour of those posters who frankly won't change, why not simply ignore their posts?

I think it should be common for those to post with respect for others. Differing opinions are common and one of the best parts of the forums, to get the various viewpoints.. We should all be mature enough not to attack each other. I'm thinking those that don't want to agree might not care how their posts affect others. Just my viewpoint. This is not pointing to anyone in particular. Happy posting.

Very well said.

Welcome to the kinder, gentler Holland America Cruise Line forum.

soccer