What to do in Osaka we are there over night?

Gail & Marty sailing away

It is the second largest city in Japan.

visit the Osaka Castle climb to the top the views are amazing. If you are there during Cherry Blossom time there are over 600 trees in bloom

Visit the Umeda Sky Building In the basement of this building visit 1920 /

1930 recreation of villages

These two towers are connected at the mid air level and the views are amazing

Do not miss the flower show in the train station it is unbelievable that this show takes place in a train station.

You can email Japan tourist board and they will send you maps and wonderful info on the places you are planning to visit.

Japan is very safe and the people are wonderful.

visit the Osaka Castle climb to the top the views are amazing. If you are there during Cherry Blossom time there are over 600 trees in bloom

Do not miss the flower show in the train station it is unbelievable that this show takes place in a train station.

You can email Japan tourist board and they will send you maps and wonderful info on the places you are planning to visit.

Thanks for the info ,We have been there once need different things to see..

Kyoto is very close by train and is a fascinating city to visit. If possible see if you can do a tour there which will cover the highlights - Nijo Castle, Golden Pavilion, Imperial Palace, Heian Shrine, Sanjusangen-do Hall, and Kiyomiza-dera. I think the tours start near, or pick up from the railway station.

Some ideas:

train to Okayama (will not be cheap, taking the bullet train) you can visit Korakuen gardens, which is one of the top 3 rated gardens of Japan. Okayama Castle (black) is right by the garden.

Go to Himeji Castle by JR train - it is different than Osaka Castle in that it is more original inside, and not set up as a museum, per se, with exhibits or anything. The gardens next door are beautiful and well worth the combined entrance ticket.

If you have not spent a lot of time in Kyoto, that would be a great place to explore more. The Sanjusanshendo Hall is one that is often overlooked, but very unqiue and interesting, Take a walk along Philosopher's path.

In Osaka look up the puppet theatre - we went to a kabuki show in Tokyo (Ginza area) and the puppet shows are somewhat similar in nature/story. Not sure if Osaka does have Kabuki theatre.

Osaka has museum of living, where you canexperience old style streets of Osaka. Also they have a well known aquarium, right near port - mightbe the largest in Japan.

Carol

Edited by CJcruzer

Osaka Castle is interesting, we did it on a tour from Kobe.

• 2 months later...

Marty,

We are taking the train to Kyoto for the day, lots to see and do there depending on your interest. We are concentrating on the temples and the Philosopher's Walk.

The second day we are visiting the castle and Tōdai-ji temples.

It's been more than 15 years since I was there.

One question I have where best to stay for a two night visit? I choose a budget airport hotel with a shuttle (in Izumisano) back then and rode the trains into the Osaka. Glad I did this strategy as I don't think I could handle my luggage as oceans of people would pour in and out of the trains at each station.