Comparing Glacier Bay to Kenai Fjords

QARandy

For those who have been to both, do you have a preference? I know Kenai is a day trip (usually) and GB is typically done on a 7 day or longer cruise. Just wondering which is more scenic or more wildlife friendly.

For those who have been to both, do you have a preference? I know Kenai is a day trip (usually) and GB is typically done on a 7 day or longer cruise. Just wondering which is more scenic or more wildlife friendly.

We've done both. Totally different experiences. I'd say we saw more wildlife in Kenai than Glacier Bay. Both are unbelievably scenic. Can't choose one over the other. We'd do both again in a heartbeat.

We've done both. Totally different experiences. I'd say we saw more wildlife in Kenai than Glacier Bay. Both are unbelievably scenic. Can't choose one over the other. We'd do both again in a heartbeat.
Totally agree with everything Shmoo said.

More glaciers in Glacier Bay and more wildlife on Kenai Fjords tour

But visually they are very different and really not comparable. Try to do both if at all possible as one is not a substitute for the other.

As said previously, they are very different experiences. Both gorgeous places. If you are going on a cruise you will see some glaciers on whatever cruise you go on. But there is just so much wildlife in Kenai Fjords, plus glaciers too. So do any cruise you want and go to Kenai Fjords before/after it.

I've done both and agree with the previous posts. (have to say tho, my GB experiece was not via a cruiseship ... I flew to Gustavus, overnighted at the Lodge and took the Park's day cruise thru GB. It was incredible !! )

I will caution that the Kenai Fjords trip can be downgraded to a Bay tour when the sea is rough. I've only made it all the way out ONCE, out of 3 attempts. The one time we made it out was awesome and I would always try for it while in Seward, but just be aware that getting out to the glacier is not a given.

Edited by mapleleaves

Thanks for the info. We have been to Kenai Fjords twice in the same trip. We are planning a possible trip back to Alaska next year and was wondering about choosing land only, cruise only, or both. We have cruised there once and driven once and are trying to work out a travel plan.

Randy

Maybe try something different .... fly into Juneau then use the ferry for a week to explore a few destinations in the Southeast, ie Sitka, Wrangell, Gustavus (for Glacier Bay), Haines/Skagway, then either drive to the Yukon for a week or fly to Anchorage and travel inland for a week.

Check out this trip report and photo link for some great ideas:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28923-i349-k5802742-Trip_Report_2012_15_days_independent_travel_in_SE_Alaska-Alaska.html#44039042

Maybe try something different .... fly into Juneau then use the ferry for a week to explore a few destinations in the Southeast, ie Sitka, Wrangell, Gustavus (for Glacier Bay), Haines/Skagway, then either drive to the Yukon for a week or fly to Anchorage and travel inland for a week.

Check out this trip report and photo link for some great ideas:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28923-i349-k5802742-Trip_Report_2012_15_days_independent_travel_in_SE_Alaska-Alaska.html#44039042

That would be my ideal trip.

DON

Both areas are extremely worthwhile. Wildlife can be seen on the Glacier Bay sailing day, but does take effort which most people don't do. Wildlife is far superior on a Kenai Fjords boat tour.

I have sailed Glacier Bay 3 times this year, and have found not a lot of humpbacks compared to previous seasons. I am just off the Pearl today, and will be returning this week on the Sun. I have taken whale watch tours each time, I was in Juneau- 5 with 2 more coming up. If wildlife is a priority, the tours are what needs to be considered.