Need your suggestions.. and HELP!

callajl

Here is the situation:

We have 4 families who would love to cruise Alaska and maybe do a tour either before or after.

We live in NW FL where airfare tends to be so expensive. I have found on NW a good price but we could only get to Seattle. Any itineries or suggestions to help us start planning this trip.

There are many cruise ships leaving from the Seattle ports to Alaska.

We will be sailing out of Seattle in September.

Contact one of your local Travel Agents for Cruise brochures and go from there.

Whether you use a TA, or do your own booking is your decision.

Have fun. The planning is great fun.

Good Luck :)

NW does go- it is cost that is the problem. I found airfare for $400 per person from PFN to Seattle, it would be over $1000 per person to get to Anchorage. It would cost over $1000 per person to go on Delta or US Air from PFN to Seattle! That is why I am looking for alternative ways to get from Seattle to where ever we would cruise from or our tour would start or end.

What I am looking for are tour companies that depart from where ever we cruise in and out of and then transportation to and from Seattle.

Ex: if we cruise from Vancover to Anchorage, the tour from Anchorage- how would be the least expensive way to get back to either Seattle or Vancover.

We have about 17 people (including kids) who are interested in this trip.

We could- but how would we do the tour? I think most of the tours are out of Anchorage that I have found. Any suggestions would be much appreciated when it comes to helping me find alternatives though!

A couple of suggestions: call the cruise line and ask them how much it would cost to book airfare through them (they can some times get a better fare because they book in bulk) or, try checking Southwest Airlines (they usually have good fares). Perhaps you can get a flight from Florida to Seattle and then transfer to another airline for Alaska ( I don't think SW flies there). Wish you luck in your travel planning.

Southwest doesn't fly from our area- only NW, Delta, and US Air. I was looking at Alaska Airlines from Seattle-Anchorage. Cost isn't too bad so we will keep that as a possibility.I will call HAL and see about airfare but we are going to have to book our own tour since we have friends who are using DVC points to book the cruise. Does HAL let you book a tour seperately?

Sorry Southwest is not an option for you. Don't know about HAL's booking policies for tours. You might want to post your question on the HAL board. When I sailed HAL a couple of years ago the people on the board were very helpful to me. Good luck and hope it all works out for you.

Are you picking the multi-city trip on the NW site. I did that with using May next year as a guess since I don't know when you are travelling and this is what I came up with flying into Seattle and leaving from Anchorage:

$512.20 avg price/person

Northwest Airlines 5779

operated by

PINNACLE AIRLINES JET SERV/NW AIRLINK

Booking Class: K

Fare Basis Code: K21R1QNV

Ticket Designator:

Mon, May 8

1hr 31min

6:15am Depart Panama City (PFN)

7:46am Arrive Memphis (MEM)

Plane Change

Choose This Flight

Northwest Airlines 457

Ticket Designator:

Mon, May 8

2hr 0min

11:45am Depart Memphis (MEM)

1:45pm Arrive Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP)

Plane Change

Northwest Airlines 161

Ticket Designator:

Mon, May 8

3hr 44min

5:06pm Depart Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP)

6:50pm Arrive Seattle (SEA)

The rest of the flights that they had listed were around $685

I hope this helps.

Without even making a call, you can find out what the air fare would be from your nearest airport by going to the cruiseline's website and pretending to book a cruise. It's the only way to find out the price. You don't ever put in a credit card number, you just click "reserve" and then it asks if you want airfare as well. They will be listed separately, so you can see the cruise fare and below it the airfare.

This month Celebrity was having an air fare sale and we got Atlanta to Anchorage on NW, returning on Delta from Vancourver for, get this, $300 per person. That also includes the bus fare from Anchorage to the port of Seward, and a transfer from Canada Place dock to the Vancouver airport. Our sailing is sold out...wonder why at those prices! The sale air fares were not offered for every category. I also saw $799 by some cruise ship categories on the same page where my $300 fare was. If I had booked two one way trips on my own the fare would have been $1450 or more. And I saw this special fare advertised only on one of Cruise Critic's advertisers who sent me an email. I knew it was an offer I couldn't refuse.

I have not put in Panama in celebrity.com's booking tool, and it may not be on the list, but they have a custom air program where for $50 they will hook you up in your closest airport (I assume and charge you the difference in airfare). a phone call would be necessary to find this out.

People who live near major airports find that they can arrange cheaper airfare than can the cruise line, so the fare scale is made for people like you who must use a smaller airport.

The real advantage in ship based airfare is that in most instances they will book you with no more than one change of planes, and that the ship will possibly wait for you if your flight is delayed.

I think you could do better with some professional help. Our flights were $510pp on NW. We used ff miles (actually cr card points) so had to use the required TA to redeem, and they booked our air: jax - detroit - anchorage; cruised south to vancouver; quick coach from vancouver to seattle;air seattle - memphis - jax. total $510pp.

17 people will cost a lot no matter what the fare is. Are you absolutely set on doing a cruisetour this trip? It would be a lot simpler if you did a RT out of Seattle (or Vancouver using Quick Coach, $33pp, to transfer from Seattle).

I wish you luck with your plans. Keep posting and someone on the board will probably be able to help you.

Jacksonville, nor any airport in Florida was listed when i looked at Aug 5 cruise southbound on Summit, just as an example. (the cruisetour can be done from either end but I've heard people on these boards say they are so worn out from the land tour that it feels wonderful to get on a ship and be pampered). Atlanta was the closest airport shown. For the Atlanta to Anchorage/transfer to Seward and Vancourver to Atlanta fare, the airfare was still $300 for categories 9, 10, 2B, 2C,& CC. If they can arrange such cleap flights from some airports, surely they can get you a deal, too.

Here is what I have found so far:

Depart Panama City May 23 NW Air - Seattle $385 PP Return June 8 Seattle - PC

Fly from Seattle to Anchorage on Alaska Air same day $131.50 PP

Do the 5 day Alaska Tour & Travel Denali pkg 5110 % off $900 per adult because it is not peak season but it doesn't say how much and it also says childs prices lower but you have to call. It starts & stops in Anchorage

Do HAL Anchorage - Vancover don't have price just itinerary

Take either train or rental from Vancover back to Seattle.

This is tenative- haven't made any plans yet but I was very happy with the airline deals. I am going to check on the cruiseline air though just in case.

What do you think- any suggestions?

My friends have done just the cruise and really want to try a tour. This will probably be our only cruise to Alaska as well- so we need to do it right but also as economically as we can!

Hi! Three years ago I took an Alaskan cruise from Vancover. What I did was fly into Seattle and took Amtrack into Vancover. The round trip fare was under $60 for business class (bigger seats, more room, and drinks). I enjoyed this leg of my trip and save money. This is just a suggestion :)

Here is what I have found so far:

Do the 5 day Alaska Tour & Travel Denali pkg 5110 % off $900 per adult because it is not peak season but it doesn't say how much and it also says childs prices lower but you have to call. It starts & stops in Anchorage

Do HAL Anchorage - Vancover don't have price just itinerary

Take either train or rental from Vancover back to Seattle.

This is tenative- haven't made any plans yet but I was very happy with the airline deals. I am going to check on the cruiseline air though just in case.

What do you think- any suggestions?

My friends have done just the cruise and really want to try a tour. This will probably be our only cruise to Alaska as well- so we need to do it right but also as economically as we can!

For even more savings, go independent interior Alaska. Can see and do more of YOUR interests in the 5 day timeframe. Again, look at the multi city option for airfare and be sure to factor in all the transfers.

Thanks so much! I will try Amtrack- I think it would be a great adventure as well. BQ-As far as independent, I am a little scared to try that! What would you suggest we HAVE to see and do? I am booking this for our families and I don't want to disappoint.

Any additional tips or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks so much! I will try Amtrack- I think it would be a great adventure as well. BQ-As far as independent, I am a little scared to try that! What would you suggest we HAVE to see and do? I am booking this for our families and I don't want to disappoint.

You need to travel in the way you are most comfortable. :) So keep reading these boards. :) The reason I say independent may be superior in your case is your time frame. You can factor in YOUR priorities better going on your own. A fixed tour may have time tied up in areas of little interest.

Basic, consider what your priorities are?? Denali Park is usually high on the list, going via the SHUTTLE buses is a bargain, 2 nights are best here. A overnight in Talkeetna is a good look at a small real Alaska town and the drive Anchorage/Denali Park offers plenty of interesting stops along the way. Anchorage is definately worth a look and with 2 more days, Seward is a gem with excellent attractions. Head to your library and see if you can get THE MILEPOST, Fodor's Alaska, Frommer's Alaska, good concise reading. Request visitor guides.

I had almost decided to go with a tour through HAL but now I will do a little more research and try something like you suggest. This is all so new to me, if you ever want to know anything about Caribbean cruising- give me a shout out!! Thanks for all your help

Excellent deal on airfare from Seattle to Anchorage... It's been my experience that flights to/from Alaska just go up in price as you get closer to the date. We always try to book as far in advance as possible for that reason.

Any possibility of spending more than 5 days on the land tour? There is so much to see... and if you think this will be the only time you get here....

5 days is definitely still worth doing if that's all the time you have. DH and I are leaving tomorrow for a 5 day RV trip and going from Fbks to Paxson Lake to Portage Glacier to Seward to Byers Lake to Fbks. This isn't the trip I'd recommend to someone doing Alaska for the first time. We've been to Denali several times, so we'll just be passing though going from Byers to Fbks. IMO, Denali is definitely a don't miss for a first time visitor. We really enjoy Seward as well.

Have a great time planning and enjoy your trip!

You are welcome! I came across my receipts for the train fare and time frame. The fare was $49 each way ( I was in the business section, coach was about $15 cheaper). I arrived in Vancouver about 10:30 a.m. If you go on Amtrak web site, they will give you the time frames and the pricing. I know that at least two trains arrive with more than enough time to get to the boat.

I also like to do things independently. The year I went on my Alaskan cruise, I flew into Seattle, took the train (round trip) to Vancouver, flew out of Seattle to Portland,Oregon, rented a car and drove to Depoe Bay, Oregon. I have a very nice month long trip :D :D !!

Larger group would easily save money by renting vans vs Amtrak. Wife and I did Amtrak last year. Worked great. Had 5 of us this year, so we did a van. Allowed us to save on Taxi fares on each end, stops along the way, and saved money too.

As some others have mentioned, spend time reading through these boards. All of the questions have been asked and discussed in depth before. You might find more information that posted here.

We did Alaska Air from ANC to Seattle to counter the flight problem from Anchorage. Worked well. We then did two days in SEA.

AND - in the future, ask specific questions in your SUBJECT line. Just about everyone that posts here NEEDS SUGGESTIONS and HELP.

My DH is having second thoughts already because I want to do the 11 day! When you factor in flights and such it becomes 2 weeks. He has his own business and if somethings happens while he is gone- everything will shut down which makes him very nervous. I will be lucky to be able to actually do what I have started to plan.

It always happens, I try and do to much in too short of time because of this very factor!

Everyone has given great suggestions. My suggestion-$900.00 per adult is about $300.00 too much for 5 days. Hotels around Denali can be easily found for $150-200 per night for 2. As early as you are going, I would bet you can get a hotel for about $100.00-140.00.

Using the Park Service shuttles, it is inexpensive to go into Denali. Food is subjective in regards to price. There are lots of low cost or free attractions. The train can be booked online. Or rent vans or RV's. RV's can usually be rented for $150.00-200.00 per day, PEAK season. That solves the problem of hotels and keeps the family together.

Do it yourself. You will save a quite a bit of money AND you will get to see what YOU want, not what HAL wants you to see.

• 2 weeks later...
NW does go- it is cost that is the problem. I found airfare for $400 per person from PFN to Seattle, it would be over $1000 per person to get to Anchorage. It would cost over $1000 per person to go on Delta or US Air from PFN to Seattle! That is why I am looking for alternative ways to get from Seattle to where ever we would cruise from or our tour would start or end.

What I am looking for are tour companies that depart from where ever we cruise in and out of and then transportation to and from Seattle.

Ex: if we cruise from Vancover to Anchorage, the tour from Anchorage- how would be the least expensive way to get back to either Seattle or Vancover.

We have about 17 people (including kids) who are interested in this trip.

I read about someone found that he actually got cheaper fares by booking ONE-WAY with different airlines, ATL to ANC and back from YVR.

I live in FL too, but much further down in FLL. And I found that you would actually do better that way than trying to do a roundtrip or an open jaw.

Just go to Travelocity and plug in your destination as one-way and see what comes up.

On our routing, I found America West, United, Delta, all offer competitive one-way pricing. Surprising !

Archived