Death during snorkeling excursion in Grand Turk this week

ZoeyVictoria

I just read a sad story about the death of a 51-year-old high school teacher from Naples, Florida on Tuesday. The newspaper article stated that she was on a Carnival ship and died during a snorkeling excursion in Grand Turk. She sounds like a wonderful teacher who will be greatly missed.

So sorry this happened. Do you know details? I've always considered snorkeling safe but I guess any activity can be dangerous.

Prayers for her family.

Courtesy of Google*: http://www.naplesnews.com/news/education/beloved-gulf-coast-drama-teacher-dies-suddenly-23bbae32-3905-4c22-e053-0100007f90f2-340314901.html

*(free and everyone can use it)

Edited by lizardhowson

There doesn't appear to be many details released at this time. I found a few articles online, and they are pretty much all the same:

http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/Teacher-on-Cruise-Dies-During-Snorkeling-Excursion-340511072.html

According to Cruise Timetables, the Victory was the only ship in Grand Turk on Tuesday. She just returned to Miami this morning, so perhaps we will hear from a passenger who was on the ship.

Wouldn't be surprised to find out she passed due to a heart attack or something like that. All the excursions I have been on snorkeling it is mandated that you wear flotation so can't see drowning. However, if she is like me and opts to ignore this requirement then she may have drowned - but it would have been "at her own risk" as I know I am when I do it.

I am comfortable with the risk though as my husband and I are experienced snorkelers/snuba/divers and if you are smart enough about it you know all you have to do is relax, don't panic, and you will float. It can be strenuous with all the swimming though and can leave one winded... so that is why I am guessing heart attack or something else. Also, if I go sans flotation my husband dons his and stays close by in case of an emergency... I am the one who likes to swim down for photos, etc. so can't do that with flotation on.

I can see the news jumping on this since cruise lines and "going wrongs" are a hot new item these days. So any innuendo about something wrong on a cruise is going to make the news.

It will be interesting to see what happens when more details come out.

I was on this sailing. It was carnival Victory. We were delayed leaving Grand Trurk, the family was taken off the ship. I was Not on this snorkeling excursion, I was on another one. We were not given any details other than the captain updating us on departure. He did ask for prayers for the family. We didn't hear until the next day what had a happened, by someone at dinner who was on the excursion. My Prayers for this family are going up. So sad.

So sorry this happened. Do you know details? I've always considered snorkeling safe but I guess any activity can be dangerous.

Prayers for her family.

Not knowing this person in particular, but holding one's breath for a long time can cause problems for people with heart problems or not yet known heart problems.

I don't understand why this thread was moved from the Carnival board. This incident did happen on a Carnival cruise, did it not?

True but has nothing to do with Carnival. So that's probably why it was moved.

(I always wonder why people start threads under a specific cruise line that is really a general cruise or port of call question. :confused:)

• 3 weeks later...

You don't die from snorkeling unless u panic and gasp for water...the instructors tell you how to breath thru the tube which is NOT under water...I always wear a floatation device for snorkeling and go with a partner..not cool to do it alone.

No idea what happened to this poor teacher unless she panicked, inhaled water and choked that way...that IS possible. My husband hates to snorkel as he doesn't like how he has to breathe and always takes on water ....so I go with another partner ....it is safe sport IF u listen to the guide.

Any other problem that cud have arisen, is being stung by stingray or even a bad attack by jellyfish...there cud be a number of things that could have happened...I doubt if the cruise line would ever give out the real story.

• 2 weeks later...