Taxi driver info: I knew better....

mrsfuzzmo

Our tour for Cozumel had been cancelled, so we all decided to go to the Money Bar for the day. (We just really wanted to snorkel).

We negotiated at the taxi stand at Puerta Maya for 2 vans (14 total people). When we were getting into the van, the driver said, "Why are you going to The Money Bar? There's nothing there anymore". Of course, I knew better and told him so. He sheepishly agreed to take us and we had an awesome time.

he must be getting kick-backs from some other beach club. Be aware of where you want to go, and don't necessarily listen to the taxi drivers suggestions. It may not be at all what you want.

We had and AWESOME day!

What's the money bar??

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Popular beach club with no real beach, but good snorkeling from the shore - you enter the water via steps. Good facilities, rental gear & guides available if needed, plus good food/drinks & service. No admission fee - taxi from the piers will be about $11 each way for up to 4 passengers in the cab.

There are some shady drivers in Cozumel. Ask for Crescencio Lopez of Black Hat Tours. We've known him for many years - always a great day with him!

We were only looking for taxi transport for 14 ppl. Didn't need a driver for the day. It worked out fine, but we've been to Coz many times and I knew better. :)

Sky Reef just up the road is so much better, at least from a local viewpoint!

SkyReef was also on the short list, but it appeared that there were some "packages" you needed to purchase and we didn't do enough research on that one since we originally had something else planned. I KNEW MoneyBar was free to get in and snorkel, had good food and was close.Worked our great. We loved it. The kids had one of the best days on the cruise just playing in the water there!

There are some shady drivers in Cozumel. Ask for Crescencio Lopez of Black Hat Tours. We've known him for many years - always a great day with him!

Not sure how this is really relevant to this thread? I am sure there are shady drivers everywhere but I would hate to pay the price for a private driver for a 10 minute ride to the Money Bar.

If Crescencio, or any of the other private drivers I have had, happened to be next in line at the taxi rank I would count myself lucky, otherwise I would just confirm price and destination before I left and take a photo of taxi number if I had a problem.

SkyReef was also on the short list, but it appeared that there were some "packages" you needed to purchase and we didn't do enough research on that one since we originally had something else planned. I KNEW MoneyBar was free to get in and snorkel, had good food and was close.Worked our great. We loved it. The kids had one of the best days on the cruise just playing in the water there!

Playa Corona is another spot we like to go to. They have snorkel rentals or you can bring your own. It's a nice laid back spot not far from where the ships dock.

We have been to both Sky Reef and Money Bar and didn't need to purchase any package at Sky Reef when we were there (a couple of years ago). FWIW we thought the facilities were fairly similar. We didn't stay long as we were touring and just checking it out. I would probably return for a change of scene at some point but we both agreed we preferred the vibe at the Money Bar better.

I would be interested to know if the "locals" comment is based on a sociopolitical point of view or based on the amenities offered at both places.

Do you know where the taxi driver wanted to take you?

We have been to both Sky Reef and Money Bar and didn't need to purchase any package at Sky Reef when we were there (a couple of years ago). FWIW we thought the facilities were fairly similar. We didn't stay long as we were touring and just checking it out. I would probably return for a change of scene at some point but we both agreed we preferred the vibe at the Money Bar better.

I would be interested to know if the "locals" comment is based on a sociopolitical point of view or based on the amenities offered at both places.

Do you know where the taxi driver wanted to take you?

No and I didn't ask. He just said, "Why there? There's nothing there". I just told him I knew that there were facilities there and we wanted to go there.

Not sure how this is really relevant to this thread? I am sure there are shady drivers everywhere but I would hate to pay the price for a private driver for a 10 minute ride to the Money Bar.

If Crescencio, or any of the other private drivers I have had, happened to be next in line at the taxi rank I would count myself lucky, otherwise I would just confirm price and destination before I left and take a photo of taxi number if I had a problem.

He is a private company, but he does short "local runs" as well. Anything from a quick ride to a beach to a full day.

Will be in Cozumel (for the thousandth :cool: time) in October, 2017 on the Oasis. How far is the Money Bar, Sky Reef and Playa Corona from the ship dock? For those of you that have been, please expand on what all is there to do and the facilities offered. We do love to snorkel .

Thanks!

Macy

Will be in Cozumel (for the thousandth :cool: time) in October, 2017 on the Oasis. How far is the Money Bar, Sky Reef and Playa Corona from the ship dock? For those of you that have been, please expand on what all is there to do and the facilities offered. We do love to snorkel .

Thanks!

Macy

Money Bar is nearest to the port, about 10 mins from International Pier. Other two are about 15-20 mins. You could walk from Corona to Sky Reef in a couple of minutes and so try both!

Money Bar and Sky Reef are most developed and both have websites with full details. I don't think Corona does but you will find photos on google images.

All three are snorkeling bars i.e. No real sand, although sandy areas with ironstone shore.

Money Bar is fine as long as your objective is to snorkel and totally understand there is no sandy beach area.

It's certainly possible the taxi drivers are getting a "fee" for taking you elsewhere?

It's also possible the taxi drivers are warning there is no actual beach at Money Bar?

:confused::confused::confused:

We had the same experience with taxi driver at Puerta Maya pier two visits ago to Cozumel. I had decided that our group was going to Paradise Beach, based on recommendations and it sounded perfect. When everyone met at the taxi stand some of the group said that a taxi driver said that Paradise was not the price that we had been quoted and suggested he take us to a place he recommended. It smelled like a rat to me, plus I had a written correspondence from Paradise with the prices, so we hired another taxi driver to take us to Paradise Beach. It was a perfect day, we have been there a second time since then and have recommended it to others, everyone loved it.

We are sure that the first taxi driver must have been on incentive to take people to the place he suggested! Be forewarned!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums