Pre-cruise info please/Vancouver

Jay Sam

Am planning a possible last minute cruise from Vancouver to Los Angeles in mid Sept.

Would appreciate any information about hotel accommodations in the area near the port or elsewhere. Just flying in the day before and would like something hopefully near the port. I don't want to spend a huge amount of money but I am not cheap either.

Also would appreciate any advice on getting from the airport to the hotel/from the hotel to the port.

Thanks in advance. Happy sailing to all.

Edited by Jay Sam
addition

Am planning a possible last minute cruise from Vancouver to Los Angeles in mid Sept.

Would appreciate any information about hotel accommodations in the area near the port or elsewhere. Just flying in the day before and would like something hopefully near the port. I don't want to spend a huge amount of money but I am not cheap either.

Also would appreciate any advice on getting from the airport to the hotel/from the hotel to the port.

Although not cheap the Pan Pacific is on top of the terminal at Canada Place where the ship will depart from. We love the views of the harbor and Vancouver is a beautiful city.

We just take the elevator right down to the ship. ;)

There are lots of hotel choices within a mile or 2 of the pier as well.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

welcome to my city in Sept.

Hotel right downtown are very expensive - probably one of the most expensive cities to live in within Canada.

I would recommend checking out the Wall Center on Burrard or Someplace a bit further from the pier. The hotels right near the pier can be $$$ but this is shoulder season so that could help.

If you are arriving later in the day prior to the cruise you could opt to stay in Richmond which is where the airport is located.

Taxis from the airport are on set prices now and it is $35 Cdn to the pier from the airport.

The most economical way to get downtown is via the Skytrain which is our metro system. It drops you right at the waterfront about two blocks from the pier.

Vickie

Although not cheap the Pan Pacific is on top of the terminal at Canada Place where the ship will depart from. We love the views of the harbor and Vancouver is a beautiful city.

We just take the elevator right down to the ship. ;)

There are lots of hotel choices within a mile or 2 of the pier as well.

Hey Keith - thanks for the info'. I appreciate. Colorado is great. Used to live there.

Jeff

I've had good luck the last 2 times we stayed in Vancouver using Priceline. You can select specific area(s) on the map you want to stay, what star level, and how much you want to spend. We've wound up within easy walking distance to the port

I've had good luck the last 2 times we stayed in Vancouver using Priceline. You can select specific area(s) on the map you want to stay, what star level, and how much you want to spend. We've wound up within easy walking distance to the port

Great info'. Thanks so much. Will check out Priceline.

Vancouver's downtown is quite compact so all of the downtown hotels are pretty much within a mile of Canada Place. However, here is a list of many 3*+ hotels that are within 6 to 8 blocks of Canada Place:

The Pan Pacific (part of Canada Place)

Fairmont Waterfront (across the street from Canada Place)

Fairmont Pacific Rim

Marriott Pinnacle

Pinnacle Hotel-Harbourfront (not to be confused with the Marriott Pinnacle across the street)

Hyatt Regency

The Shangri-la

Fairmont Vancouver Hotel

Auberge

Coast Coal Harbour

Delta Suites

The Metropolitan

Four Seasons

Rosewood Georgia

Sutton Place (about 8.5 blocks)

Sheraton at the Wall Centre (about 10 blocks)

le Soleil

The Wedgewood

I have not included on the list the Blue Horizon which is on Robson St. and about a mile from Canada Place and is extremely popular with cruisers. Another good bet is the Best Western-Downtown on Drake St. and is about 14 blocks or so from Canada Place. You will find it hard to keep the room rate under $200 p/n unless you find a deal on Hotwire or Priceline.

No downtown hotels offer a shuttle from YVR to the hotel but there is a flat rate of not greater than $35 for a cab to these downtown hotels. From many of these hotels you can to Canada Place but a cab should not cost you more than $10.

Edited by Putterdude

welcome to my city in Sept.

Hotel right downtown are very expensive - probably one of the most expensive cities to live in within Canada.

I would recommend checking out the Wall Center on Burrard or Someplace a bit further from the pier. The hotels right near the pier can be $$$ but this is shoulder season so that could help.

If you are arriving later in the day prior to the cruise you could opt to stay in Richmond which is where the airport is located.

Taxis from the airport are on set prices now and it is $35 Cdn to the pier from the airport.

The most economical way to get downtown is via the Skytrain which is our metro system. It drops you right at the waterfront about two blocks from the pier.

Vickie

Hi Vickie - Thanks for the info' about staying near the airport. I have thought of that like you mentioned if I arrive later in the day. Skytrain sounds great to get from the airport area to the port.

Thanks again.

Jeff

We have stayed at Delta Suites, very nice and close to port, our daughter has stayed at Blue Horizon, she liked it, and bus and trolley stop right there. We were there three days used the "big bus" easy to get around. Loved the city, lots to see and do. Enjoy

Cori

I've stayed at the Sheraton Wall Center 3 times in 2 different towers. Short cab ride to Canada Place (American Dollars or Credit Card). The American dollar is very strong right now.

A free walking tour starts nearby:

http://www.tourguys.ca/#!vancouver/c55x

I've also done a half day Grayline Tour of the city and then had them drop me off at Canada Place (but I think my ship left late).

https://westcoastsightseeing.com/tours/vancouver-city-lookout-tour/

I've done lots of research and hotels nearby are very expensive.

Would you consider staying a couple of days? Vancouver is a marvelous city and very walkable. I've taking the SkyTrain from the airport to Vancouver City.

Hi Vickie - Thanks for the info' about staying near the airport. I have thought of that like you mentioned if I arrive later in the day. Skytrain sounds great to get from the airport area to the port.
Thoughts...

• I love skytrain/subway/Canada Line.... but I prefer taxi's when travelling with luggage.
  • Skytrain is efficient, however once you get downtown, most hotels are 5, 10, 15 or over 20 minutes walk to the hotel while dragging your luggage. Meaning timewise, it's about the same as a taxi.
  • some people have troubles trying to figure out the subway ticket machines which can take additional time.
  • Trains are $9 weekday mornings and afternoons for each adult. Arriving during commuter hours means the general public may be climbing over your luggage to get from one end of the train to the other.
  • Taxi's are $31 or $35 (North of Pender/Hastings) to downtown for the carload. The service is door to door. Again I prefer this with luggage.

If you share your flight arrival time, we can suggest a possible city itinery for you.

Edited by xlxo

Stay downtown so you can sightsee before boarding the ship. Vancouver is beautiful city. Spend a few hours walking the seawall at Stanley Park and visit Granville Island. If I remember correctly, the Best Western on Drake has bikes for guests to use so you could pedal to both locations.

If you stay by the airport you'll probably just have b'fast then go to the pier and miss out on Vancouver.

I thanked the 1st couple of responders individually, and now I am behind so let this be a hearty thank you too all the folks who responded since. I so appreciate all the information you have provided me. I have a lot of options, so a big thank you from Jeff.

Happy sailing to all of you fine folks. Cheers!

Thoughts...

• I love skytrain/subway/Canada Line.... but I prefer taxi's when travelling with luggage.
  • Skytrain is efficient, however once you get downtown, most hotels are 5, 10, 15 or over 20 minutes walk to the hotel while dragging your luggage. Meaning timewise, it's about the same as a taxi.
  • some people have troubles trying to figure out the subway ticket machines which can take additional time.
  • Trains are $9 weekday mornings and afternoons for each adult. Arriving during commuter hours means the general public may be climbing over your luggage to get from one end of the train to the other.
  • Taxi's are $31 or $35 (North of Pender/Hastings) to downtown for the carload. The service is door to door. Again I prefer this with luggage.

If you share your flight arrival time, we can suggest a possible city itinery for you.

Just before noon, the day before the ship departs. Thanks in advance.

Possible itinery....

• 12pm wheels down
  • 12:30pm board cab
  • 1pm hotel check in
  • 1:45pm head to Canada Place to board Capilano or Grouse Mountain Shuttle
  • 7:30pm official sunset time in mid-September in Vancouver. Once it get dark, time to start planning for dinner.
  • 8:30pm... if you finish dinner early... how about Fly Over Canada?
  • if your hotel near the cruise terminal? How about some award winning Gelato at Bellas before bed?

My advice is to come a few days early to embrace more of the city. Canada is discounted right now with a currency collapse.

Possible itinery....

• 12pm wheels down
  • 12:30pm board cab
  • 1pm hotel check in
  • 1:45pm head to Canada Place to board Capilano or Grouse Mountain Shuttle
  • 7:30pm official sunset time in mid-September in Vancouver. Once it get dark, time to start planning for dinner.
  • 8:30pm... if you finish dinner early... how about Fly Over Canada?
  • if your hotel near the cruise terminal? How about some award winning Gelato at Bellas before bed?

My advice is to come a few days early to embrace more of the city. Canada is discounted right now with a currency collapse.

Thanks for the suggested itinerary. Fly Over Canada sounds and looks great from the website. Very nice.

Is there some kind of bus tour of the city that I could do? Will arrive a day or so earlier than I had planned if possible.

Thanks again.

As Vancouver is bigger than all the Alaskan ports combined... you might want be in Vancouver for several days.

• Hop On buses are popular to explore Granville Island, Stanley Park and other downtown locations
    http://www.vancouvertrolley.com/tours/hop-on-hop-off
  • LandSea offers great tours outside of the core
    http://vancouvertours.com/
  • Whistler and Sea2Sky opportunities can fill a day or two
  • Victoria is another day trip opportunity
  • Banff and Rocky Mountains for fill a week pre/post cruise
  • If in Vancouver for one day... must try to fit in Capilano Suspension Bridge and/or Grouse Mountain.

txO8VK4LaLQ ZLL6du--lQA vIvtsz1b60Q EvH_ROLyUZQ Gcyt8Xdvsgs [YOUTUBE]pJdkKFNLYOE[/YOUTUBE]

Some bonus vids on Fly Over Canada...

[YOUTUBE]fpVgUwVE4HQ[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]gbmjyXQJGII[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by xlxo

A little tip... have you thought about food??? As a city of immigrants, Vancouver offers cuisines and opportunities in a very compact area....

[YOUTUBE]ky8bouLbbB8[/YOUTUBE]