Near the cruise terminal

travelers2

Is it safe to walk outside the cruise terminal? How far is it to the Cathedral? What is there to see near the cruise terminal on our own? We have been there before & have done the island tour. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

It's a few short blocks from the Cruise terminals to the Cathedral. Within walking distance, there is also the Castries Food and Craft market, named number 3 food market in the world by NatGeo a few years back -great array of local produce, spicew, local meats and fish along with local crafts and souvenirs. Derek Walcott Square is right in town near the Cathedral also. Castries is very much a working town, it's not a purpose built cruise destination -so you'll see what daily life looks like for us here. It's fine to walk around, as with anywhere be aware of your surroundings, secure your valuables, etc. About 15 minutes the orher direction is beautiful Vigie Beach if you fancy a beach and swim for the afternoon. Just head left out of wither port towards the airport, down around the end of the runway and voila -lovely local beach.

Enjoy your visit.

It's a few short blocks from the Cruise terminals to the Cathedral. Within walking distance, there is also the Castries Food and Craft market, named number 3 food market in the world by NatGeo a few years back -great array of local produce, spicew, local meats and fish along with local crafts and souvenirs. Derek Walcott Square is right in town near the Cathedral also. Castries is very much a working town, it's not a purpose built cruise destination -so you'll see what daily life looks like for us here. It's fine to walk around, as with anywhere be aware of your surroundings, secure your valuables, etc. About 15 minutes the orher direction is beautiful Vigie Beach if you fancy a beach and swim for the afternoon. Just head left out of wither port towards the airport, down around the end of the runway and voila -lovely local beach.

Enjoy your visit.

Thank you for this information. It is very helpful. We're looking forward to seeing the cathedral & the market place. I read there's an old tree to see near the cathedral too. Thanks for your help!

You should be careful in St. Lucia.

Is it safe to walk a couple of blocks to the Cathedral? Yes.

Would a walk further beyond there. I would walk another block and stop. We have been to St. Lucia many times including visiting the Cathedral.

This time around my wife stayed on the ship and I walked a few additional blocks and quickly realized that this was not a good idea. I didn't feel safe where I was (right or wrong that was my observation) and I quickly walked back. Again, my opinion is not to stay too far beyond the Cathedral.

Some photos of the church.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-sQPCT4noQos/VJ6re8VZpnI/AAAAAAAAovk/dq0ccctAqQs/s1600/DSC_1894.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-HOsxDei9OlI/VJ6rY95so3I/AAAAAAAAovU/VE2keHLlo8I/s1600/DSC_1893.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-SupVXwh5jj0/VJ6rZUFPcJI/AAAAAAAAovY/g-admk7_v64/s1600/DSC_1892.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-WvUpMoYqMIY/VJ6rXySeATI/AAAAAAAAovM/SjRjDD6AwEs/s1600/DSC_1891.jpg

Keith

You should be careful in St. Lucia.

Is it safe to walk a couple of blocks to the Cathedral? Yes.

Would a walk further beyond there. I would walk another block and stop. We have been to St. Lucia many times including visiting the Cathedral.

This time around my wife stayed on the ship and I walked a few additional blocks and quickly realized that this was not a good idea. I didn't feel safe where I was (right or wrong that was my observation) and I quickly walked back. Again, my opinion is not to stay too far beyond the Cathedral.

Some photos of the church.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-sQPCT4noQos/VJ6re8VZpnI/AAAAAAAAovk/dq0ccctAqQs/s1600/DSC_1894.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-HOsxDei9OlI/VJ6rY95so3I/AAAAAAAAovU/VE2keHLlo8I/s1600/DSC_1893.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-SupVXwh5jj0/VJ6rZUFPcJI/AAAAAAAAovY/g-admk7_v64/s1600/DSC_1892.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-WvUpMoYqMIY/VJ6rXySeATI/AAAAAAAAovM/SjRjDD6AwEs/s1600/DSC_1891.jpg

Keith

You should be careful anywhere you visit. That's just common sense. Everywhere has places that are sketchy, and sometimes one wrong turn can get you there. Hence the advice to be aware of your surroundings, etc. St Lucia is no different than anywhere in the world, we have places that visitors (and us locals, unless we have to) probably shouldn't be visiting. Castries is a large working city, and as such has areas that aren't as visitor friendly as others, just like any city in the world. The main commercial area around the port, shopping areas, etc are fine -just use common sense. Wandering off the beaten path, beyond the main areas, while you'll likely be perfectly fine, isn't advised -and there's no sights etc to see there anyways, just folks living their lives.

The walk to the Cathedral, Derek Walcott Square, Blue Coral Mall, etc is just fine, you'll see lots of old colonial architecture vying with new construction, local shops and eateries next door to chain restaurants like KFC and Subway, etc. A mix of the old and the new....and yes, very large old tree near the Cathedral....Enjoy your visit.

You should be careful anywhere you visit. That's just common sense. Everywhere has places that are sketchy, and sometimes one wrong turn can get you there. Hence the advice to be aware of your surroundings, etc. St Lucia is no different than anywhere in the world, we have places that visitors (and us locals, unless we have to) probably shouldn't be visiting. Castries is a large working city, and as such has areas that aren't as visitor friendly as others, just like any city in the world. The main commercial area around the port, shopping areas, etc are fine -just use common sense. Wandering off the beaten path, beyond the main areas, while you'll likely be perfectly fine, isn't advised -and there's no sights etc to see there anyways, just folks living their lives.

The walk to the Cathedral, Derek Walcott Square, Blue Coral Mall, etc is just fine, you'll see lots of old colonial architecture vying with new construction, local shops and eateries next door to chain restaurants like KFC and Subway, etc. A mix of the old and the new....and yes, very large old tree near the Cathedral....Enjoy your visit.

Yes, I am pretty well versed on travel.

I just wanted to warn the original poster because unlike certain areas where yo can walk blocks upon blocks and feel very safe that was not the case where iI was.

Ans I thought I said the walk to the cruse was nice.

Keith

• 2 months later...

so how is the area to safety walking towards the airport and going to Vigie Beach?

so how is the area to safety walking towards the airport and going to Vigie Beach?

Perfectly fine. The walk to the beach is along the main road in clean open areas the whole way. Numerous threads with directions on how to get there. Essentially,, hang a left out of the port area, follow the main road to the airport, walk to end of airport and round around towards beach, pass graveyard and come upon the long stretch of beach. Rum shacks and local foods available down near entrance to the airport. Enjoy.

Perfectly fine. The walk to the beach is along the main road in clean open areas the whole way. Numerous threads with directions on how to get there. Essentially,, hang a left out of the port area, follow the main road to the airport, walk to end of airport and round around towards beach, pass graveyard and come upon the long stretch of beach. Rum shacks and local foods available down near entrance to the airport. Enjoy.

Thank you very much for letting me know. I just wanted to make sure the area was not a rough part. Because I have been told at other ports by

others go back the way you came it is not safe, when asking about directions. or afterwards find we almost was in an area that was not a good area.

Thank you once again.

Just wondering how far of a walk it is from the cruise ship terminal to Castries Market, or do we just take a taxi? We will be in port and have a morning excursion but have an hour or so to look around the area in the afternoon before departing.

As answered in TripAdvisor, it's a 3-10 minute walk depending on which port you're docked at an how fast you walk. You can see the Castries Craft and Food market from your ship. Right at the head of the harbor, bright orange/red corrugated metal roof. Can't miss it.

Just wondering how far of a walk it is from the cruise ship terminal to Castries Market, or do we just take a taxi? We will be in port and have a morning excursion but have an hour or so to look around the area in the afternoon before departing.

This walk is fine.

After leaving the terminal make a left and just a couple of minutes.

I would not walk too far away from the market though.

Keith

• 3 weeks later...
As answered in TripAdvisor, it's a 3-10 minute walk depending on which port you're docked at an how fast you walk. You can see the Castries Craft and Food market from your ship. Right at the head of the harbor, bright orange/red corrugated metal roof. Can't miss it.

We've been to St. Lucia twice. Beautiful island. We've always been the only ship in port, but for our next trip in March, it looks like another ship will be in port with us. Just wondering where the second port is? Thanks.

We've been to St. Lucia twice. Beautiful island. We've always been the only ship in port, but for our next trip in March, it looks like another ship will be in port with us. Just wondering where the second port is? Thanks.

Castries only has one port. However, it has several docks for ship's. Your ship will either be docked at Piers 1,2 4, 5. 1 and 2 are at the shopping area La Place Carenage and 4, 5 are at the shopping are Pointe Seraphine. They are across from each other, you can see all the ships in the port area, and are about a 10-15 minute wall apart or $5us water taxi ride apart. The Castries Craft and Food Market is smack in the middle of them.

We can have as many as 5 ships berthed at the port, and we've had 6 a few times.... You can see the cruise ship schedule for the year, along with which dock they are scheduled for at Slaspa.com

Enjoy your trip.

Castries only has one port. However, it has several docks for ship's. Your ship will either be docked at Piers 1,2 4, 5. 1 and 2 are at the shopping area La Place Carenage and 4, 5 are at the shopping are Pointe Seraphine. They are across from each other, you can see all the ships in the port area, and are about a 10-15 minute wall apart or $5us water taxi ride apart. The Castries Craft and Food Market is smack in the middle of them.

We can have as many as 5 ships berthed at the port, and we've had 6 a few times.... You can see the cruise ship schedule for the year, along with which dock they are scheduled for at Slaspa.com

Enjoy your trip.

Thanks for the info. Looks like we're at 3&4. The P&O Azura out muscled us. Just a little longer walk to Vigie beach....

• 2 weeks later...

We spent a couple weeks in St Lucia a couple years ago, and were not located in a resort. We walked Castries multiple times, and really did not find any particularly seedy areas where you might feel a little unsafe. Oh, there were the same reports of crime as there are back home, but just as I would walk in my town without fear, I felt about the same in Castries. I would not purposely take back alleys, but all the main roads felt safe (other than the fact that some do not have sidewalks and the streets are narrow). We walked many many places.

Be a smart tourist though. You do stand out. scams exist, but violent crime does not compare with most major US cities. Protect your valuables.

Don