Dubrovnik

asda

Has ventura been docked at cruise port in dubrovnik or has it been tenders.? At the moment for our cruise in June it says dock 11 but on cruise personaliser its says it could dock at port or tender near town.

It may depend on the number of ships in that day and the wind! Last time I was there on Oriana, another ship had to berth instead of anchor as it was very windy - parasols were blowing down in the main street!

Note that if you berth you'll do so a Gruz, which is a couple of kilometres out of town. There's a shuttle bus into town. In fact, the last time we were there, there was a mandatory passport inspection at the harbour gate - this was before Coatia acceded to the EU - and border guards boarded the bus and inspected everyone's passports. Those without them were refused admission and had to return to the ship and get on another shuttle. (Presumably, this is all easier now that Croatia is in the EU.)

If you tender, I think the ship may anchor out in the bay off the old harbour and you might well tender in to the old harbour itself, and that has to be a more romantic way of arriving.

The first time into Dubrovnik, on Oriana, we tendered in. If you do that you'll arrive right in the centre of everything.

The other 3 times we've docked at Gruz, twice on Oceana and once on Azura. The shuttle doesn't take long, about 10 minutes, and once we walked it but got a taxi back to the ship.

Dubrovnik is an easy port to see on your own. If the weather's dry, do the walk around the walls. fantastic views!

We tendered in on a Costa ship and it was one of my cruise highlights, absolutely brilliant. Parking round the back is a big disappointment after arriving at the front door.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

On three separate cruises we have only ever berthed at the port which is a couple of miles away from the old town. Arriving by tender direct to the old town would be nice but with a ship the size of Ventura tendering all the passengers ashore can be time consuming and can result in lengthy waits in the assembly lounges.

Last year we visited Sardinia on Ventura and while we were lucky and got ashore quite early and after only a 20 minute wait, some passengers had to wait some time to go ashore. In fact it was 12.30 before the last of them left the ship by tender so they only had a relatively short time ashore, others gave up on waiting and stayed aboard the ship.

Tendering can be slow, but it really is worth it with place like Dubrovnik, the ship we were on was the same size as Ventura, but worked well. They hired ships from the port to improve the flow. P and o did the same thing in Sardinia on Oceana last year.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Edited by ucgachd

First time we went into Dubrovnik, it was wonderful, we walked the walls and enjoyed the rest of the town so much. Last year we got the shuttle which was fine, but the crowds in Dubrovnik were just awful. there were 5 ships in and we were like sardines in the town. Really awful.

On the live Bluestar.org webcam in Dubrovnik Ventura is moored up and Costa Magica is shown on the map as being directly behind her.

Check on the port timetables how many ships will be in on your date of aarrival may help to give you an idea.

Hi Mike,

When I go onto the link you posted I cannot find how to move through the pages ie June has 5 pages but I can only view the first page.

Any tips to see the rest of the document?

Thanks June