Help please re step-up rings

Turtles06

I've never used a step-up ring before, but now I've got a wonderful Sony a6000 and several new lenses, having gone mirrorless after years with DSLRs. So I also own some not cheap B+W circular polarizing filters that fit my Nikon DSLR lenses but not the Sony lenses. Thus, I've been looking into step-up rings.

In reading about step-up rings, a concern seems to be "galling" or jamming (that is, the filter and the ring getting jammed together). Is this something I should really worry about, assuming I buy a brass or anodized aluminum step-up ring (not plain aluminum)? And are there issues with the step-up ring jamming on the lens itself?

I was looking at the reviews of 67-72mm step-up rings on B&H, and there's a brass B+W step-up ring that several folks like but one reviewer said jammed on every filter he used with it.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/11676-REG/B_W_65069436_67mm_to_72mm_Step_Up.html

Really hard to know what to make of all this, so any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

I have to admit I'm the cheapskate of the forum, and I bought aluminum ones off eBay for the same situation as yours.

They work fine, no galling. I am if the firm belief that people that have the sticking, galling issue are over tightening them.

I screw them on until they are just snug and that's it - it's a light piece if glass, not a lugnut, but I've seen folks (OK, family members) cranking them down - I have no idea why.

Agreed - I've got 4 or 5 different step up and step down rings, and most are the cheaper ones - mostly aluminum but at least one brass. I also don't really crank them on super-tight - I screw on filters snugly by hand so they're well-seated, but not torqued on as hard as I can go. On rare occasions I've had them stick a little bit, it was just a matter of using a thin rubber jar-opener to hold the step-ring or the filter with one hand, and grabbing the other side which makes it easy to detach even stuck-on filters. Often, either the step ring or the filter itself will have some ridges along the edge to help grip them better - so between that and a rubber jar opener, you could probably get almost any stuck filter off unless someone installed it with a vice-grip!

Edited by zackiedawg

Another fan of the average ring.

In my experience (longer than most) the difference between a$29 step-up ring and a $6 Step-up ring seems to be $23.

A couple of 1/8" or 1/4" small diameter rubber bands make great separator tools when needed or you can use an actual tool: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Camera-Lens-Filter-Wrench-2-Pair-4-PCS-Kit-Set-for-49-58mm-67-77mm-49-58-67-77/330902612836?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D33098%26meid%3D1b7863f5da27436496aa99ca1b32ca16%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D371230437103

Personally, the rubber bands have always worked for me.

I got this one for the odd 40.5mm thread on the 16-50 PZ: http://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Adapter-Anodized-Aluminum-40-5mm-49mm/dp/B001G45FFE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1440775537&sr=8-2&keywords=40.5-49

Dave

Edited by pierces

Thanks everyone for the additional advice.

I've kept rubberbands in my camera bag for some time now, but I like the suggestion of a rubber jar-opener. We have a number in the house, I'll put one in my bag.

Thanks again!

I've had some badly stuck rings. So now I barely screw them on and only leave them on long enough to get the shot. I don't leave them on the camera. Also be careful screwing them on. Any misalignment makes them even harder to remove. Except for my flw, I've replaced my filters with three Lee filter system, because the adapter rings are so much easier to grab on to.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk HD

I have one step up ring also that gets stuck every time use it with a filter and I am too cheap to buy a new one! I found these little filter wrenches that work well to get the ring and the filter apart. This link is from Amazon, but I know they also have them at B&H or Adorama. Hope that helps!

http://www.amazon.com/Mudder-Camera-Filters-Step-Up-Step-Down/dp/B00MVNR37W

I have one step up ring also that gets stuck every time use it with a filter and I am too cheap to buy a new one! I found these little filter wrenches that work well to get the ring and the filter apart. This link is from Amazon, but I know they also have them at B&H or Adorama. Hope that helps!

http://www.amazon.com/Mudder-Camera-Filters-Step-Up-Step-Down/dp/B00MVNR37W

Those wrenches can be handy little tools.

Thanks again to everyone for all the advice and info. My step-up ring has come, and I had to smile when I saw the admonition in the box. :)

I gave it and the filter just a soft tighten, and a good outdoors trial. So far, so good!

Step%20up%20ring_zpstv6cwqjt.jpg

Less scary than "Do Not Use Hair-Dryer In The Shower Or Bath!"

You know that label is on there 'cause someone did...

Dave

• 1 month later...

The larger the ring, the more trouble it will give you with jamming. My rule is that I stop if I feel ANY resistance. Use the lightest possible force when adding or removing and you should be fine. If it feels harder than a light breeze through gossamer, take it off and start again. Be prepared to try multiple times to get the threading aligned right when putting it on.