I just dont get this embarkation / boarding thing!

HellyDonandkids

Hi,

Hoping someone can help. Ive tried emailing my cruise consultant at NCL, it appears now Ive paid in full emails are ignored :confused:.

We've never cruised before and we are travelling with an 8 year old and a 3 year old from Venice on NCL Jade on 25 October. What im trying to work out is getting on board the ship and also seeing Venice. We land at 9:40am and cruise departs 6pm.

It says to board no less than 2 hours before, but what I cant work out is how much time I need to board. I think you dont check in on the ship but in a building off the ship? So if I arrive 2 hours before I wont be boarding but beginning a process off the ship? So how long does that take? Do I need to be at the port at more like 3pm to allow time for that? Or less? Or should I go straight from the airport to the ship and then get back off to see Venice? Is this even allowed?

Sorry these probably seem like silly questions to some of you! Im just really hoping to at least see Piazza San Marco so I need to get things correct to be able to do that. Thank you for any responses. :)

The ship will arrive around 8am, and they will have all the guests off by 10-10:30. Embarkation check in will probably start around 11:30. You can check in at that time, and drop off your luggage. You can then go sightseeing, and be back to board by 4pm.

I've never heard of NCL renting strollers.

Edited by chengkp75

Just be aware that the ship WILL NOT wait for you if you are late. Doublecheck once you are on board what the all aboard time is. They are serious about it. I would imagine that it's especially important in Venice due to tides. It doesn't matter if 50 people are missing. The ship will sail without them.

The place to research renting strollers on NCL is the NCL board, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=107

Is it "best" to check in first? Well, it gets rid of your bags, so there is a benefit. Makes touring much easier.

Note it is also "best" not to fly in the day of the cruise, as delays of any type, and you are possibly going to miss your ship.

Couldn't do anything about the flights unfortunately as my kids are in school the day before.

Sounds like I'm best to check in straight away then and just hope there's still enough time after that to get to Piazza San Marco and back. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi,

Hoping someone can help. Ive tried emailing my cruise consultant at NCL, it appears now Ive paid in full emails are ignored :confused:.

We've never cruised before and we are travelling with an 8 year old and a 3 year old from Venice on NCL Jade on 25 October. What im trying to work out is getting on board the ship and also seeing Venice. We land at 9:40am and cruise departs 6pm.

It says to board no less than 2 hours before, but what I cant work out is how much time I need to board. I think you dont check in on the ship but in a building off the ship? So if I arrive 2 hours before I wont be boarding but beginning a process off the ship? So how long does that take? Do I need to be at the port at more like 3pm to allow time for that? Or less? Or should I go straight from the airport to the ship and then get back off to see Venice? Is this even allowed?

Sorry these probably seem like silly questions to some of you! Im just really hoping to at least see Piazza San Marco so I need to get things correct to be able to do that. Thank you for any responses. :)

Once you check in, you'll wait to board the ship. How long you wait depends on when you get there. Having said that, I've never waited past 1130-1230 to board the ship. I like to use this extra time inboard to have lunch, get acquainted with the ship, et . If it were me, I'd explore Venice before I checked in at the ship. And be aware that the longer you wait to board the longer the wait is. As everyone seems to wait. The lines at this time are extremely loooong.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Once you check in, you'll wait to board the ship. How long you wait depends on when you get there. Having said that, I've never waited past 1130-1230 to board the ship. I like to use this extra time inboard to have lunch, get acquainted with the ship, et . If it were me, I'd explore Venice before I checked in at the ship. And be aware that the longer you wait to board the longer the wait is. As everyone seems to wait. The lines at this time are extremely loooong.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thank you :)

Which airport are you flying in to? From Marco Polo you can catch the alilaguna boat straight to the port. Just a short walk. Then, you can catch one back to the Piazza walk around and catch one back. Every half an hour I think.

Be warned that these boats are very expensive. It will be at least 15 euros for adults and, I wouldn't be surprised, the same for the children. The vaporetto is no cheaper and not available from the port. I have a ticket which I top up as we go quite often.

Look on ACTV for the vaporetto and Alilaguna for airport to ferry terminal but I don't think you will use ACTV.

There is a bus that stops at P. Roma but with baggage and children . . . Also a long walk to terminal.

Wish I was coming!

Which airport are you flying in to? From Marco Polo you can catch the alilaguna boat straight to the port. Just a short walk. Then, you can catch one back to the Piazza walk around and catch one back. Every half an hour I think.

Be warned that these boats are very expensive. It will be at least 15 euros for adults and, I wouldn't be surprised, the same for the children. The vaporetto is no cheaper and not available from the port. I have a ticket which I top up as we go quite often.

Look on ACTV for the vaporetto and Alilaguna for airport to ferry terminal but I don't think you will use ACTV.

There is a bus that stops at P. Roma but with baggage and children . . . Also a long walk to terminal.

Wish I was coming!

Thank you. No Treviso unfortunately. I have the times for the coach transfer and also the Aliguana ferry from the Cruise terminal to the Piazza and the number 2 Vaparetto time. It sounds like its going to take a while to check in so i guess im best leaving our luggage at Roma / Tronchetto, dashing to the the Piazza and coming back and boarding then. I know what im like, if check in takes ages I will then be too scared to chance the Piazza and we will miss out. Plus checking in first means doing the journey to the ship twice rather than once so that will buy us time?

What time do you think you will arrive in Venice? About 10.30? I don't know about leaving luggage on P Roma but it can be left at the station. We don't fly! You pay when you pick it up. Every article is charged. Even tiny bags. You will need your passport for security checks. When you enter the station it is the quay to the far right. After the toilets. You will need to cross the bridge from P Roma.

The tronchetto stop at the ferry terminal is also quite a walk. I used it earlier this year. Sorry I didn't look for lockers!

Line 2 goes from in front of the station. About every 10 minutes. Line 1 is longer but better. Same price. The children will then decide they don't like sailing!

Keep in mind you'll have to go through security again when you return to the cruise pier. The lines will be light if there are any all, but, it's one more thing that could slow you down.

If you get aboard the ship by 11:30 or noon you might have a good three hours to see Venice, provided it's not too far from the cruise terminal. I've not sailed NCL, very often you can't even get into your cabin until 1 pm. It's worth doing some research on the NCL boards at Cruise Critic and determining what the situation is.

Perhaps you can see Venice on the return at the end of the cruise. There are often excursions you can book through the cruise line that do two or three hours of touring before heading to the airport.

Jonathan

Thanks both.

The cruise returns to Rome rather than Venice so only one chance at this unfortunately.

Both Roma and Tronchetto have left luggage facilities. Yes that's my worry, kids go on a Vaparetto and decide they don't like boats haha! Yes I guess we should reach Venice about 11:30. If we leave our luggage at Roma and go to the Piazza do you think us getting to the port for 3pm we will be boarded by 4pm? Or should I post this in a Venice forum maybe. I had no idea it was so big!

Thanks both.

The cruise returns to Rome rather than Venice so only one chance at this unfortunately.

Both Roma and Tronchetto have left luggage facilities. Yes that's my worry, kids go on a Vaparetto and decide they don't like boats haha! Yes I guess we should reach Venice about 11:30. If we leave our luggage at Roma and go to the Piazza do you think us getting to the port for 3pm we will be boarded by 4pm? Or should I post this in a Venice forum maybe. I had no idea it was so big!

I've not been to Venice. I would definitely advise posting on the Venice boards they will give you the best information.

Good Luck.

Jonathan

Thanks Jonathan. With young kids in tow I like to have everything perfect, less tantrums that way!

I agree completely. We don't have any kids but I, still like to have everything planned out precisely, without any surprise, smooth sailing.

Have a great cruise.

Jonathan

I tried editing but nothing. If you are in the line checking in at the time that is stated, they will know you are there and about to board. We were on Celebrity earlier this year and sailed from Civitavecchia and it took about 15 minutes. It was early, about 11.30 and we spent the afternoon sipping champagne.

You will have time. Piazza St Marc is very small. Go under the clock, turn right and buy an ice cream then go back and the children can pat the lions. ALWAYS go back the way you came! Talk about moving walls.

They will love it!

You can catch the line 2 back as it is quicker but no matter where you are in Venice, it is always quicker to walk than take the vaporetto. Trouble is, you get lost if you don't know it. Why don't you walk from the station then boat back? You will see more and you can follow the crowd and not get ha ha lost. If you do lose yourself, look for the yellow signs with the arrows but you should be fine.

Couldn't do anything about the flights unfortunately as my kids are in school the day before.

Sounds like I'm best to check in straight away then and just hope there's still enough time after that to get to Piazza San Marco and back. Thank you.

I don't think there's a school anywhere in the US that would not consider the educational value of a full day or two of touring in Venice, Italy to be of equal value to staying in the home classroom.

That said, I agree with others here that you run a great risk assuming that your flight will arrive on time and there will be no other hitches in your plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree with the above post....if it were me I would take the kids out of school a day early and come to Venice and spend the night in a hotel. It is part of the kids education. Then you won't have to rush to try to see all the sites and still rush to get on the ship. Board the ship early and you'll be on it in time for lunch and can familiarize yourself with the ship before sailing.

Whatever you decide have a wonderful trip.

Unfortunately here in the UK the government have brought in a fining system for taking kids out of school. I agree totally he will learn more during a day in Venice than in his classroom (the reason for this entire trip is he is studying the Romans :)). But that one day would be a £120 fine and I refuse on principle to be subjected to it haha! Flights are already booked now so not a lot I can do.

I appreciate all your advice, Ive never been on a cruise ship before and I really dont know what to expect. My biggest fear is the charges on board. Everything seems to mean more money, tips, drinks etc.

I will use tripadvisors Venice forum. Im sure someone there can tell me the quickest way. Ive just discovered I could get off the airport bus at Mestre and its a short taxi ride from there to Piazza San Marco, that would buy us a full hour if its true. :)

No it is not true. P. St Marco is a bit wet for a taxi. Only as far as P Roma. It is vaporetto or walk. Like I said earlier, it must have been a 15 minute walk from tronchetta stop to our boat. I was gutted as thought it was next door.

I would arrive on the bus. Put my cases in. Buy a ticket for the vaporetto. Go to P. St Marco. Look around. Buy ice cream. Vaporetto back. "I hate boats Mum" then take the tronchetta and walk to check in.

Excuse spelling! Just had a little spritz as depressed as not in Venice. Scotland tomorrow though:):):D