Not getting off boat for excursions

Icesk8rReedy

As others have said, you don't need to have a formal shore excursion to spend an enjoyable time ashore. Last month, DW and I took the water taxi to Philipsburg ($7pp for all day use), and wandered around the town for about three hours. You can also walk to town, which takes about 20 minutes. We then returned to the ship for a late lunch and enjoyed a sparsely occupied ship to relax on. This link will give you some idea of the town: http://www.calculatedtraveller.com/blog/one-day-in-philipsburg-st-maarten/

My choice for an inexpensive outing in St. Thomas would be to take the small Water Island Ferry that runs from Crown Bay Marina to Water Island. Return price is $10pp. Here's how to get there: http://www.**********/waterisland/gettingthere_wi/

And here's a quick overview of the island:

http://www.**********/waterisland/

Have a great time, whatever you decide to do! :)

EDIT: It appears that CC doesn't like those two links. Just do a search on Water Island Ferry and you should be OK.

Edited by Fouremco

Mostly I was just wondering what the ship was like when you're at the ports. Just curious is most people were gone more than anything. I've done excursions before and my husband doesn't care what we do as long as we're together. He's all for staying on ship. This is his first, this is my 3rd.

Mostly I was just wondering what the ship was like when you're at the ports. Just curious is most people were gone more than anything. I've done excursions before and my husband doesn't care what we do as long as we're together. He's all for staying on ship. This is his first, this is my 3rd.

Well, the answer is that, yes, most people will go ashore. The ship won't be empty, but it will feel very uncrowded. That can be a pleasant thing.

I would recommend, as others have, though, that you research the ports a little and see if there are some things to see that might interest you. It really is pretty easy to explore some ports without spending much, if any, money. So don't write off St. Thomas or St. Maarten, just because you're short on money. But if you decide to just stay on the ship, that's cool too.

It is very nice. Not too much planned activities going on, but there may still be some trivia / games so check the planner. Pool deck will not be so hectic. Just a very relaxing day. Things start to pick back up early afternoon.

I did that Interney last year if I did it again if stay on the ship in st Thomas I didn't like it personal opinion I know did a tour from the ship in st Martian but really enjoyed walking around the port area if I did this itenery again if have no problem staying on board and chilling by the pool

I would make sure to get off at the private island. Will cost you nothing for a treat beach day. They have a BBQ lunch that is included in your cruise fare.

As far as staying on the ship it's less crowded and great day to read, swim, and other pool day activities.

I would get off the ship at some other islands to walk around. It will break up being on the ship. It does not have to cost money to wander around s the port.

We are on the FOS for the May 15 sailing. My husband is out of a job so we can't really afford to do excursions. We had everything booked/paid last year before the job loss, including parking, hotel, food, gas, etc. Has anyone ever just stayed on the boat and not done anything in the ports of call? Is it dead on the ship? We were thinking just hang out by the pool, work out, drink, eat, relax, etc. What was it like if anyone else has done this?

Haven't done an excursion in 10 years. You're going to some of the most beautiful islands in the world and you're not getting off the ship? At least hit the beaches. Go see the jets at Maho.

I posted a thread earlier that had cruise compasses from the Freedoms eastern itinerary in March. If you look at them, it will give you an idea of the activities and venues available on port days. I don't know how to post a link to them on here, maybe someone else does.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Don't dwell on the job loss. Many of us have been there. Use this time together to be close and enjoy walking in the ports. Exercise is great to keep your head clear. Focus on the job search when you return. I wish you all the best on the Job hunt. I had to reinvent myself at 59 and I don't regret it.

John

Ok - I just have to say that sometimes the moderators on CC are not only overzealous, but a bit crazy. This was someone asking about what it's like on the ship, if you stay on, rather than getting off, at the ports. And it was specifically about a cruise on the Freedom of the Seas, so it made sense to be asked in the Royal Caribbean board.

If the mods are a little overzealous, then maybe moving it to the board for general cruising questions would make sense, but to move it to the St. Martin/St. Maarten ports-of-call board, when the question is really about the ship? Come on, people.

Ok - I just have to say that sometimes the moderators on CC are not only overzealous, but a bit crazy. This was someone asking about what it's like on the ship, if you stay on, rather than getting off, at the ports. And it was specifically about a cruise on the Freedom of the Seas, so it made sense to be asked in the Royal Caribbean board.

If the mods are a little overzealous, then maybe moving it to the board for general cruising questions would make sense, but to move it to the St. Martin/St. Maarten ports-of-call board, when the question is really about the ship? Come on, people.

I could not agree more with you. This has got to be a mistake.

To me the mods should have posted " The ports of call section is a wonderful resource and I'm sure that you will get suggestions of things to do that will fit your budget."

I'm certainly not suggesting that this would be of any interest to you but we still chuckle over how easily entertained we are. A few weeks ago we were on the Celebrity Summit but really bummed that our cabin faced the working loading dock vs the bay. We got back on board around 1:30 and sat they mesmerized watching the unloading to two cargo ships. We even went up to the buffet and instead of eating facing the bay we rushed over to the "ugly" side to see what we had missed. I remember at one time I even yelled to my husband to hurry up, he was about to miss the unloading of a particular crate.

You might be surprised at how little it will take to entertain you while on board.

I'm certainly not suggesting that this would be of any interest to you but we still chuckle over how easily entertained we are. A few weeks ago we were on the Celebrity Summit but really bummed that our cabin faced the working loading dock vs the bay. We got back on board around 1:30 and sat they mesmerized watching the unloading to two cargo ships. We even went up to the buffet and instead of eating facing the bay we rushed over to the "ugly" side to see what we had missed. I remember at one time I even yelled to my husband to hurry up, he was about to miss the unloading of a particular crate.

You might be surprised at how little it will take to entertain you while on board.

I love this!!!!

This sounds exactly like us! We enjoy just about any kind of "watching" - people, ships, machinery, animals, birds, water - we like it all! :D