Alaska and toddler

Trend

Juneau has a WalMart. Skagway had an oldfashioned general store, I'm sure they have diapers. Lots of shops in Ketchikan.There is a Walmart there, too. EM

Edited by Essiesmom

Just back with a 17 month old...bring a few more than you expect to use...don't waste the time in ports..however there was a Walmart shuttle bus we saw near our dock in Ketchikan.

Juneau has a WalMart. Skagway had an oldfashioned general store, I'm sure they have diapers. Lots of shops in Ketchikan.There is a Walmart there, too. EM

the General Store is Skagway is not a grocery store and to my recollection is just a souvenir type store. Don't remember any toiletries or groceries there.

There are no big stores near the ports, and the small shops aren't likely to have them. The "grocery store" in Skagway is within walking distance, but is very small and expensive. We bought snacks there before a drive to the Yukon a couple years ago and it seemed like we paid 50% more than we would have paid at home. Besides, you wouldn't want to have to walk all the way over there and then lug the diapers all the way back to your ship. If you will have a rental car in Ketchikan or Juneau, you could make a stop. They will still probably be more expensive than what you are used to paying at home.

The one time I cruised with a toddler, we took about half again as many as we thought we'd need. Don't just try to fit a full package in your luggage. Split them up to fill the nooks and crannies in everyone's bags. Stuff them in the outer pockets of suitcases. You make more efficient use of space this way. And then you have extra space on the way home for souvenirs!

You may also want to get some of those scented disposal bags. Your room steward will empty your trash twice a day, but you still don't want a ripe diaper sitting around for hours. :eek:

Our plan for Alaska is to bring two pieces of luggage for our boy; one slightly bigger than necessary for clothes and one slightly small than that for his food and diapers. Then we'll put the smaller one inside the bigger one to have one piece of luggage on the way home. Another idea i've seen on here is to get a box of diapers and just tag it as a piece of luggage.