Top category cabins...sold out early?

marco

There was a post a while back about the least and most $$$$ cabins being sold out first. I had commented that our TA mentioned that they "hold" the top of the line suites for whatever reasons and several posters posted that I was WRONG and my TA didn't know what she was talking about....well....once again....we're doing our annual "Friends and Family Winter Caribbean Cruise", there; 46 of us going. Another couple wants to come. Once again, the ONLY cabins available are the top of the line suites.

This varies by cruise and cruise line, I am sure. I know when HAL had smaller ships that had limited (by today's standards) balcony cabins, which were minisuites and suites, along with the Penthouse, which almost always sold out first.

Too many variables for an "always" situation. Remember the advice on test questions that have "always" and "never" in them?

Edited by CruiserBruce

the top of the line suites often have a MINIMUM occupancy requirement up to final payment. once that date has passed, they are released for general sale which is why they can often be the only ones left.

also they gty all the other categories and once that threshold is reached, they remove them from availability while they figure out who is gonna get that sweet upgrade from an OV to a balcony or better.

It does matter which cruise line as it can vary.

Also, I'm not sure even on the lines that the top Suites sold out first in the past, that is still true.

Some of us who book those suites are noticing cut backs and aren't sure the suite experience is as sweet as it used to be. The extra square footage is lovely, some of the amenities very nice but for the considerably higher prices charged (for full fare guests), some folks are re-evaluating. Dining Room choices aren't what they used to be, fewer stewards for more guests, many former things we enjoyed and were accustomed to are no longer offered.....

Also, some cruise lines are getting known for offering inexpensive upsells and some of us who have paid 'full boat' keep hearing about people getting the same cabins for considerably less. One doesn't mind now and then but when it becomes the 'norm'......

I have written this before, been blasted from here and back but it is my view of what I observe, hear and read.

Again, this is not true of every cruise line and not all cruises. Some itineraries are more popular than others and the top cabins sell out early.

Edited by sail7seas

sail7seas,

great post. We also book suites and agree completely. Yes, we also have had a suite or two on our cruise go for half the price that we paid. They never discount the suites. A few people have posted that they do go on sale once in a while but that happens when the entire cruise is not selling well. Popular cruises have the suites sold out very early.

Perks just aren't what they use to be and neither is the service on many cruises. Use to be special staying in a suite - not anymore. Still love the extra space.

the top of the line suites often have a MINIMUM occupancy requirement up to final payment. once that date has passed, they are released for general sale which is why they can often be the only ones left.

also they gty all the other categories and once that threshold is reached, they remove them from availability while they figure out who is gonna get that sweet upgrade from an OV to a balcony or better.

That's not necessarily the case. We've never found a minimum occupancy for any suite, be it a PH, Royal Suite, Grand Suite or whatever. I've even booked one of those big suites as a solo.

I've been studying this issue. It's not as dire on the mega ships but is of grave concern regarding the smaller ships which tend to be more luxe. Even there, however, it can vary in the booker's favor if it's a heavily traveled itinerary, e.g., Caribbean in a crowded time slot (e.g., winter-ish).

It really depends on the cruise line and how many "top of the line" cabins the ship has.

For our cruise we took in November, we booked the cruise 1 1/2 years in advance and were unable to get one of the two Penthouses on the Noordam. They were already sold out.

For a spring cruise in 2016, this past summer when we went to book the PS we didn't have any choices -- one of the two PS's was already booked. And we had booked the day the cruise became available.

Above poster: wait until a month before sailing, I'd bet dollars to donuts they will be available. And by coincidence, it's HAL we're going on that ONLY the top category suite is available for next month's cruise.