Good reason to have a passport

DebJ14

A Delta flight (1865) from Atlanta to Miami made an emergency landing in Jacksonville today. There are Breeze cruisers on the flight. The replacement plane is not scheduled to leave Jacksonville until 3:35 and arrive in Miami until 4:56pm. Looks like they will not hold the ship. Catching up will be a pain - first port is Grand Turk - no direct flights into there (only puddle jumpers from Providenciales). Hopefully, those with passports can catch up in the Dominican Republic in a few days. Those without passports will be totally out of luck.

We're not on the flight and missing the ship, but friends are. We learned our lesson back in 1996 when our connection out of Atlanta to San Juan was delayed. We made it to San Juan with only minutes to spare.

We always go at least a day early if flying. We were on the Breeze at the end of March and flew into Miami and stayed at Hyatt House the night before.

I have had a passport continuously since 1969. I wouldn't set foot out of the country without one. So, if we were in that mess we would get ourselves to the DR and into a nice hotel there and spend a couple days on the beach waiting for the ship to arrive. That way the vacation would not be totally ruined.

Also a good reason to have travel insurance.

Edited by DebJ14

Depending on what time it landed in Jacksonville they could have rented a car and driven to Miami in 6 hours. I would not have waited for the replacement plane. Or found another flight on another airline. Hopefully they had trip insurance.

And that is why I always fly in a day early. As it is, my early morning flight the day before doesn't get into Miami until after 3 pm. There's just too much that can go wrong for me to risk same day arrival.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depending on what time it landed in Jacksonville they could have rented a car and driven to Miami in 6 hours. I would not have waited for the replacement plane. Or found another flight on another airline. Hopefully they had trip insurance.

Unfortunately, there is not a whole lot of scheduled service out of Jacksonville to Miami. There were only 2 flights on any airline that would have gotten them to Miami in time. Their plane's emergency landing came too late to make the US Air flight (which would have backtracked them through CLT) and there were no seats on the only Southwest Flight that would have gotten them there in time. Renting a car would have done no good either. Not enough time to make the drive. Yes, they have trip insurance through Carnival.

A part of me has never understood why so many folk from across the pond do not have a passport in any case. As a kid I thought everyone would need a passport just in case....ie a family member being abroad and needing you or wanting to get away for a weekend asap.

I suppose coming from a continent squashed with countries its more of European thing to have one the day you pop out the womb...lol. Compared to the states where you can travel for thousands of miles and still be in your country.

I'm 59 and got my first passport at 15 for a school trip to Italy. Have had one ever since. I just like the thought that if I wanted to drop everything and go somewhere, I could.

That is the way we feel. In fact that is exactly what we did last week. Saw that United had frequent flier seats to Cancun. Booked the air and hotel on Memorial Day and we flew out 2 days later.

Deb .... I keep hoping for you and others that the ship did wait. Might possibly, depending on how many on the flight were going on the cruise.

Our sailing was actually delayed when a charter flight from California was rather late arriving.

Keep us updated.

LuLu

A passport is your friend. Good for 10 years and less than $200 dollars. Seriously? And so many leave the states without one. Not me. :cool:

I am one of those 'what if' people. ;)

And yes, those last minute deals are so good! Label me 'Passport Prepared"!

A part of me has never understood why so many folk from across the pond do not have a passport in any case. As a kid I thought everyone would need a passport just in case....ie a family member being abroad and needing you or wanting to get away for a weekend asap.

I suppose coming from a continent squashed with countries its more of European thing to have one the day you pop out the womb...lol. Compared to the states where you can travel for thousands of miles and still be in your country.

I think you hit the nail on the head. You can travel the length of the U.S. without needing anything as I.D. (except driver's license in the case you're stopped by the cops). In Europe, you need a passport to travel to each country (many of these countries are as large or smaller than one U.S. state). I didn't have a passport until I was 24 years old. Many of us grew up with parents who wanted to explore the U.S. first (and that can take a lifetime to do!!!).

I don't see why it should be a problem understanding it.

Think of i like this. If all the european countries were like the states and no passport was needed to go from one to the other, most of you guys would not have them either.

A passport is your friend. Good for 10 years and less than $200 dollars. Seriously? And so many leave the states without one. Not me. :cool:

I am one of those 'what if' people. ;)

And yes, those last minute deals are so good! Label me 'Passport Prepared"!

I don't see why it should be a problem understanding it.

Think of i like this. If all the european countries were like the states and no passport was needed to go from one to the other, most of you guys would not have them either.

A passport is not needed for travel between most countries on the European continent. I think they were trying to speak more of the closeness in travel and not needing air than in the requirement for a passport.

Another example of why cruisers who fly in should do so the day before the cruise leaves.

I can get with this logic better than the passport one. Chances are I wouldn't fly to DR anyway. Plus I didn't think that was even allowed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

I can get with this logic better than the passport one. Although my family has them. Chances are I wouldn't fly to DR anyway. Plus I didn't think that was even allowed.

A Delta flight (1865) from Atlanta to Miami made an emergency landing in Jacksonville today. There are Breeze cruisers on the flight. The replacement plane is not scheduled to leave Jacksonville until 3:35 and arrive in Miami until 4:56pm. Looks like they will not hold the ship. Catching up will be a pain - first port is Grand Turk - no direct flights into there (only puddle jumpers from Providenciales). Hopefully, those with passports can catch up in the Dominican Republic in a few days. Those without passports will be totally out of luck.

I would take a different lesson from this....good reason to fly in the day before.

Deb .... I keep hoping for you and others that the ship did wait. Might possibly, depending on how many on the flight were going on the cruise.

Our sailing was actually delayed when a charter flight from California was rather late arriving.

Keep us updated.

LuLu

Still waiting to hear if they made it or not. The flight landed shortly before 5pm. They would have had to claim luggage and then the taxi ride to the pier. I watched the ship pull out on the POM webcam (and listened to the marine traffic) about 5:40. It would have been close. The NCL Getaway is holding off sailing for at least another hour as they are waiting on guests. Their Captain said they had to wait 15 minutes after everyone was checked in and the list sent to Homeland Security (interesting) before they could proceed.

The Getaway requested the pilot for 6:45pm.

If people on the flight were supposed to be on the Glory they were so out of luck. They pulled out much earlier.

Edited by DebJ14

One of the many reasons why one should have a passport when cruising (as well as insurance) and not try to skate by with birth certificate.

hi

I understand the absolute necessity of arriving for a cruise on time and why some feel it is so important to arrive the day before but apart from missing your ship and having to make some emergency/immediate changes in your travel plans, having a passport allows you to see the world beyond the ports that a cruise departing from the U.S. would allow.

I too have had a passport for as long as I can remember and couldn't imagine only travelling where I was allowed without a passport (even if I lived in the U.S.) Now you can't even visit Canada without a passport:(

I'm 59 and got my first passport at 15 for a school trip to Italy. Have had one ever since. I just like the thought that if I wanted to drop everything and go somewhere, I could.

I'm 53 and got my first passport when I was barely 6 years old. I still have that old cancelled passport. I also have the paperwork where it was renewed by the U.S. Embassy in London.

I wouldn't dream of living without a valid passport. I'm dreading having to renew mine next year because I will be without it for a few weeks until they send me my new one. I'm going to take 2 cruises right before I send it off for renewal just to hold me over. :-)