Governor's Beach safety

new.b.cruiser

My boyfriend and I will be in GT this May and we want to go to governors beach to get away from the crowds but I'm getting a little nervous because I don't want to find myself in an unsafe situation. Is it totally secluded? Has anyone had a bad experience there?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Forums mobile app

You will find other people there. Just no facilities. I haven't ever heard of anyone laying in wait to jump cruisers walking along the beach. Cruisers do swim there. But again the beach while accessible hasn't been kept up.

I was asking more about being robbed or harassed. I've never been to GT, I don't mind not having facilities tbh, I just wouldn't want to wander around any areas that are prone to violence etc. I've never gone to beach that's was so off the beaten path

You will find other people there. Just no facilities. I haven't ever heard of anyone laying in wait to jump cruisers walking along the beach. Cruisers do swim there. But again the beach while accessible hasn't been kept up.

Ok good, I'm hoping that there will be other cruisers there, just not too many [emoji6]

I was asking more about being robbed or harassed. I've never been to GT, I don't mind not having facilities tbh, I just wouldn't want to wander around any areas that are prone to violence etc. I've never gone to beach that's was so off the beaten path

If those are your issues, you'll have no need to worry. Go and Enjoy! :)

Grand Turk has a population of around 4000 locals. If there were individuals running around mugging tourists, wouldn't it be safe to presume that they wouldn't last very long with that kind of activity on such a small island with nowhere to hide?

I would recommend doing a web search about safety in various ports-of-call. It can provide valuable information and/or excessive paranoia depending on how one chooses to receive it.

Random violence may occur anywhere in the world. The chances of it happening in a place like Grand Turk to a cruise tourist is much much less likely than the embarkation U.S. port from whence the ship arrived.

If you want to really get away from the major crowds, look into Pillory Beach as an option. While there will be a handful of people there(mostly those staying at the Bohio (boutique) Resort, it is much less crowded than the main beach near where the ships dock. Taxis are fairly cheap in GT(set rate per zones).

After some time at Pillory one can walk into Cockburn Town and grab a bite to eat. I recommend John's Oceanside Grill. The appearance may seem a little rustic, but the fried fish and conch fritters are super tasty, the Turk's Head beer is ice cold, and it's all very reasonable priced.

• 2 weeks later...
Grand Turk has a population of around 4000 locals. If there were individuals running around mugging tourists, wouldn't it be safe to presume that they wouldn't last very long with that kind of activity on such a small island with nowhere to hide?

I would recommend doing a web search about safety in various ports-of-call. It can provide valuable information and/or excessive paranoia depending on how one chooses to receive it.

Random violence may occur anywhere in the world. The chances of it happening in a place like Grand Turk to a cruise tourist is much much less likely than the embarkation U.S. port from whence the ship arrived.

If you want to really get away from the major crowds, look into Pillory Beach as an option. While there will be a handful of people there(mostly those staying at the Bohio (boutique) Resort, it is much less crowded than the main beach near where the ships dock. Taxis are fairly cheap in GT(set rate per zones).

After some time at Pillory one can walk into Cockburn Town and grab a bite to eat. I recommend John's Oceanside Grill. The appearance may seem a little rustic, but the fried fish and conch fritters are super tasty, the Turk's Head beer is ice cold, and it's all very reasonable priced.

We, too, second eating at John's Ocean View Bar and Edith's Fish Fry Check out the reviews on Trip Advisor

https://www.facebook.com/Johns-Ocean-View-Bar-and-Ediths-Fish-Fry-1412814465633558/

We felt perfectly safe when we were there. There's hardly anyone there since there's really no facilities such as food and drinks. They do have restrooms and showers though. I personally don't think there's anything to worry about.