Harwich - hated it!

suec12

I just wanted to post that I hated this as an embarcation / debarcation port. We had a 3 pm flight out of LHR - for the first time ever, we planned to fly out the same day as our cruise ended. It took us over 3 1/2 hours to get to LHR. We were picked up at 9 (so silly me, I thought the main rush hour would be over) but traffic was horrendous. Kudos to our BA driver - he diddled that Garmin and took so many twists and turns, it was amazing. We arrived at LHR in time but other folks that we saw at the airport had been picked up at 7:30 and arrived the same time we did - 5 hours! missed flights.

I did quite a bit of research before booking our private transport - it seemed like no option is very good for Harwich. No megatrain! Anyways, we usually sail Celebrity - I don't know if they are using Harwich or Shamton next year for British port - but just wanted to note and warn any others that may be having to board at Harwich.

There is a train from Harwich which could take you to Heathrow if you change in london. This obsession with mega trains people have is silly... Those prices are only on the unpopular departure times if at all. That route is a massive commuter route into london. I think any port in the UK you take that risk getting to the airport as it means you go on the M25 which is notorious for delays. The risk is always there as you never know what might happen I think saying it is a bad port is a little harsh as I am sure numerous people have had no issues.

I actually like the Port of Harwich.

We do trans-atlantics as we have friends in Scotland so we fly one way and cruise the other.

We rent a car and drive from Harwich to Glasgow or vice versa.

It is so easy to rent a car there as the rental car office of Europcar is only a few feet behind the terminal.

Every port has pluses and minuses. Harwich port works well for us.

OP: I'm very sorry you had this experience, and I hope it didn't ruin your trip. No question Harwich is a bit out of the way, and that there is a ton of traffic in and around London.

I haven't disembarked at Harwich, so I can't speak to that, but we did embark there last fall on the Celebrity Infinity TA, and we had a good experience. We flew into Heathrow early on the day before embarkation, and used a private transfer (Harwich Taxis) to Harwich. That gave us an entire afternoon and evening in Harwich (which was plenty) -- a charming little waterside old town, good pub food. A short cab ride to the ship the next morning, and a quick and easy embarkation. Others on our ship arrived from London by train or bus.

We did see gridlocked traffic heading towards London as we were driving to Harwich, so perhaps that is a tougher trip. (It was the morning rush hour.)

ThePier1024x678_zpsdd81b9fc.jpg

Harwichbeach1024x635_zpsed81e0bd.jpg

(photos by turtles06)

I'm pretty sure if you docked in Philadelphia and flew out of JFK you'd be complaining how bad traffic was across the city of New York...

Harwich is one side of London (NE) and Heathrow is the other (W). If you want to avoid traffic; take the train to Liverpool St Stn in London, a taxi to Paddington Stn and then the train to Heathrow.

We left from Harwich in August and loved it. It was one of the easiest port to embark and disembark from. Also a very nice small town, really enjoyed it. We took the train to Harwich from London a day early and did not leave for home on disembarkation day because of the distance and traffic.

The OP must not have done much pre planning to get from Harwich onwards.

The train is great straight into London then out to any of our large airports.

NEVER ever try to go by road in the morning around London with a daytime flight unless possibly a weekend.

We experienced the M-25 parking lot on a Friday afternoon. It was painful. We thought commuting in the Washington, DC area was bad, but that was worse. Still, I can't blame anyone but myself for not anticipating the traffic. We were trying to go from Harwich to our Heathrow hotel and were sightseeing in the Cambridge area too long. Next time we will take the train.

We left from Harwich on our TA. It was the fastest and easiest embarkation we have had from any port. We enjoyed the 2 hr ride through the country side from London to Harwich. [sunday] If it had been a weekday we would have taken the train.

I grew up near Washington, DC. The rush hour is horrible there and I would not expect it to be any better around London.

Thank you for praising your BA driver. I tried twice to post a positive comment about that same transfer company, but my posts were deleted, apparently straight-forward positives are against rules. Our ride from Harwich to LHR was heavy traffic but the BA driver was excellent....fortunately we're going to LHR a day early. We liked the port, just not the traffic.

I tried twice to post a positive comment about that same transfer company, but my posts were deleted, apparently straight-forward positives are against rules.
Positive opinions are not against the rules.

The rule is that you cannot start a thread with a recommendation for a company. It's clearly set out in the guidelines, the FAQ, and the sticky thread on this forum.

Harwich is a wonderful port and has easy access to London via the train. Having said that, I would never disembark in the UK and fly international on the same day. What's the rush?

Leave the ship at your leisure and head over to a hotel near LHR and spend a relaxing day before your early morning flight back to the states. I would even consider the train from Harwich to London Liverpool station; black cab over to Paddington; and hit the Heathrow Express to the airport. The Sofitel London Heathrow is connected to terminal 5. I like to make travel part of the holiday!

Enjoy!

Kel:)

cheapest and easiest way from Southampton was National Express to London Victoria 5 pounds - then the 1030 am London Victoria to Chelmsford - 5 pounds get off and walk across the road to the train station - then 14 pounds (one-way) Chelmsford to Harwich (total cost 24 pounds) - avoids the london underground hasssles....

Globalizer, I'm so very sorry for my posting infraction whereby I made a positive recommendation regarding BA Transfer, but thank you for your interest. But, no worries, I rarely post and do not anticipate additional postings in the near future! Cheers!

I think you misread Globaliser's post. You seem to have read it as a reproach for breaking the 'rules' I am sure that it was not intended that way.

Very few of us read the rules before we post and, as a result, we all inadvertently break the rules until we become aware of them and I read the post as nothing more than a friendly explanation as to why your previous posts may have been deleted.

I think you misread Globaliser's post. You seem to have read it as a reproach for breaking the 'rules' I am sure that it was not intended that way.
Indeed it wasn't, thank you. As you surmise, I was simply trying explain - in the most neutral possible way - a likely reason why previous posts were deleted.

I didn't (and don't) want to add any personal views about the rule itself, because we aren't allowed to discuss moderation and I don't want to be breaking other rules myself.