How to plan a NZ cruise

RMS Olympic

I am trying to plan a New Zealand cruise and have so many questions.

First is the month; Sept, Dec, Jan, Feb or March? What are the pros and cons of each time period keeping in mind the north and south of NZ probably varies in climate regardless of month.

Round trip from Sydney or Auckland /Sydney one way?

Should a Melbourne and Tasmania stop be a big deciding factor?

Cruise line or ship choices????? Seems the number of ships is greatly increasing adding to the decision challenges. Does the size of the ship add or detract from a NZ cruise? Does one particular line outshine the others in this region?

Some lines like P&O will not allow a booking through a US travel agent, which require using a Aussie or NZ agency to book. Can an American actually work with a Travel agent down under?

Are some lines more popular with locals resulting in more passengers being from Aus or NZ which would be a plus for me. If more locals, does the cuisine differ with more local dishes?

Do all the cruise lines basically use the same excursion operators so port visits are the same regardless of the ship or line you are sailing on?

Lots of questions......as I have visited Sydney and Port Douglas and loved the people I really want to experience NZ.....so the planning starts.

I would appreciate all the insight anyone could provide to help me plan a fantastic trip.

Thanks!

Tom

Should a Melbourne and Tasmania stop be a big deciding factor?
May I pitch in on this one?

Personally, I'd disregard whether or not there's a call at Melbourne. This is a big, busy and very interesting city, with lots to do and see (including in the evenings). It's worth much more time than a typical one-day call. Obviously, if the ship is calling there anyway it will give you a chance to see some of it or of the surrounding area. But if the ship isn't calling there, it's easy to get there for a pre-cruise or post-cruise stay, or to go there on another (perhaps non-cruise) trip.

So I wouldn't let the absence of a call at Melbourne influence a decision. It's probably more important to look at the places which you'd be less likely to get to if the ship was not calling there.

I cannot speak for cruises round Australia, but a cruise is not the best way to see New Zealand. For that you would have to have a land-based holiday as most of the scenic beauty is in the interior of the country. Even Milford and Doubtful Sounds (on many cruise ship itineraries) are accessible by land.

Also most New Zealanders wouldn't cruise round the country to see it, so there would probably be very few 'locals' on board. Why not combine an Australian cruise with a land-based NZ stay?

And if you do decide to do that, you need to divide your time into one third North Island and two thirds South Island.

Sorry if this isn't exactly what you wanted, but I wouldn't want you to be disappointed by a NZ cruise.:)

I have to agree with Korimako--if you really want to experience NZ, you should do a land-based tour (whether self-guided or organized). We've been to NZ 3 times and the best places and attractions we saw were NOT on the coast. While the cruise may offer excursions to some interior destinations (e.g. Queenstown), they are going to be costly and not allow you nearly enough time to see these places adequately. I, too, would not want you to be disappointed by a NZ cruise.

Like the others are saying a land holiday is the only way to see the beauty of New Zealand, the South Island especially is truly spectacular. I speak from experience as I have done both land based trips to New Zealand and a cruise.

To try and answer some of your questions:

Avoid Sept/early Oct and late Dec and whole of January - School holidays, our big 'summer break' is over January in the Southern Hemisphere, you will note cruises are more expensive as well. late October early November will be cooler but we had lovely weather cruising at that time. February can be warmer but especially in the South Island very pleasant. But New Zealand being New Zealand, always bring along something warm.

For an overseas visitor I would suggest a Sydney, Melbourne, Hobart then onto NZ ending in Auckland visit. That way you get a bit of both worlds. BTW Hobart is a lovely Port to coming into and a charming city.

Try for mid size or smaller ships, they seem to negotiate the Ports better. You will find HAL, Celebrity and Princess do good NZ trips. NZ is not RCI or Carnival's bread and butter so they only do a few trips. I did not meet one New Zealander on our New Zealand cruise but have met a lot of them on my Australian cruise :D

P&O Australia - I haven't been on them yet but I hear they are more 3 star than 4, attract a younger crowd and families. Though I understand they will be a bit more upmarket on their new ships Eden and Aria.

Cruisers round New Zealand tend to be an older crowd, don't know why, maybe younger people want to do the land trips with all the adrenalin stuff.

Cannot comment on cruise ship food on purely Australian lines but on Celebrity and HAL it was whatever their Head Office orders with the occasional nod to Australia (which they usually ran out of because they didn't order enough).

The great thing about travelling in NZ and Australia is you don't need to use the ship's tours - once booked check out local tour operators or hire a car, both countries are easy to get around. But yes the ship's seem to use similar tour operators.

I'd recommend February or March, more chance of nice weather, especially down in the South Island.

Whether you choose a Sydney return or an Auckland - Sydney cruise depends on whether you want to sightsee in NZ before the cruise. I'd recommend this if you have the time, especially for some of the best South Island sights which are mostly inland or places where the cruise ships don't go. Then you could also do some sightseeing in Australia at the end of the cruise. Best of both worlds. :)

I'd lean toward a port stop in Tasmania if you don't have much time to sightsee after the cruise.

have you looked at the cruise starting in Sydney and ending in Auckland? there is one that starts jan 15h i think and one starting jan 31st from Auckland. they are redoing the ship in drydock this sept and then finally moving "down under" for winter. i have gone in oct and Au is hot but NZ was cold. .i am hoping Jan is better./

Personally, I'd disregard whether or not there's a call at Melbourne. This is a big, busy and very interesting city, with lots to do and see (including in the evenings). It's worth much more time than a typical one-day call. But if the ship isn't calling there, it's easy to get there for a pre-cruise or post-cruise stay, or to go there on another (perhaps non-cruise) trip. So I wouldn't let the absence of a call at Melbourne influence a decision.

Agree strongly with the above by this London-based expert. Plus, a number of other wise, insightful sharing by others on this thread. We skipped Melbourne and did Tasmania. Happy about that choice. Our cruise was also a 14-day schedule, allowing more time in NZ, etc. Not a 12-day cruise.

For Tom, tell us more about your personal interests, priorities, loves, past world travel experiences, etc.?? What are your budget flexibilities, ages, etc.? How much are you interested in history? Countrysides vs. cities? Museums, food, wine, art, music, shopping, architecture, culture, etc.? How much of it in a leisurely style versus fast-paced? Then, with more detailed and specific information from you, we can make better, more specific suggestions on what best fits your needs and interests.

Good luck for your cruise in and around wonderful Australia and New Zealand. Really enjoyed our time there a year ago doing these various "down under" adventures, both during our cruise AND the time prior to and after our 14-day cruise. Lots of picture on my live/blog below to prove that things looked better than that one picture reflected.

For the great and scenic Southern Island of NZ, we did the two-day, Queenstown overnight excursion through our cruise ship. Worked super well. Saw a key NZ area that we would not have wanted to have missed.

Keep your good questions rolling along!! Check out my live/blog and ask any follow-ups needed.

Below are a few "eye candy" examples that we did in these areas to help build up your excitement and interest for this great "adventure".

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 106,077 views for this posting.

Here is one of our Cruise Critic group, Mike from Miami, capturing some other Cruise Critic group (good folks from Kansas and South Carolina) during our spectacular sail-away party at the Sunset Bar on the magical 15th level of the Solstice. Such a wonderful location to soak up the spectacular sights during this sail-away.:

SydneyDepartSolstice9_zps1cd6db7a.jpg

Here is a picture from our New Zealand South Island JetBoat ride that my wife loved so much. Me, too!! Notice her hands and those of others in our row super tightly gripping the safety bar? That says so much about the speed and thrills while roaring up and down this amazing stretch of scenic river. I showed my wife this picture (and several others like this but where the wind was blowing her hair in the opposite direction). She liked this picture so much, that she said to put this one in her obituary (not that this need is upcoming anytime soon). It showed her having fun and she said this ride was the most fun of the whole cruise/trip. We've had lots of great moments on this trip, but one was a unique and special ride in a location that is spectacularly world-class near the NZ Southern Alps. And, perfect weather with good friends adds to the great joy!!:

JetBoatOne1_zpscafe58a3.jpg

This is Old St. Paul's church in Wellington. It is the former cathedral in the Diocese of Wellington for the Anglican Church. As an example of 19th-century Gothic Revival architecture, they adapted to colonial conditions and materials. It is at 34 Mulgrave Street, close to the New Zealand Parliament. Its construction was completed in June 1866. After a significant battle to prevent its demolition, Old St. Paul's was purchased by the New Zealand Government in 1967 and restored. Although not a parish church, it remains consecrated and is a popular for weddings, funerals and other services. It is constructed from native NZ timbers. The interior has been likened to the upturned hull of an Elizabethan galleon with its exposed curving trusses and roof sacking. The flags displayed in the nave include the Royal Navy, NZ Merchant Navy and US Marine Corps. Many of our Marines were stationed in Wellington during World War II. My wife is in yellow walking down the center aisle as she absorb the building details. This was a very important and "moving" site to experience. :

WellingtonA9_zpse247f172.jpg

At Te Puia near Rotorua in northern New Zealand, this Maori performance starts its ceremonies outside and then we entered the Wahiao Meeting House. Fortunately (with some skill), I was in a prime front row seat to be able to get great pictures, video, etc. Plus, experience the quality for how these members share these cultural traditions.:

RotMaoriOneA2_zps3517f252.jpg

From Port Arthur, the historic Tasmanian penal colony seen during our stop in Hobart, here is just one of the many views for some of the sights there. This gives an overview for a portion of this prison site. This location was nearby to the water area as the prisoners would arrive from England for this “visit”. It took six to nine months to make the journey from England to this distant part of the world.:

TasWildlifeCtr19_zps66bff896.jpg

From our group's Bay of Islands water fun, we got to do real sailing, including going out into the nearby Pacific Ocean! See the proof and success below. It was both a perfect weather day and such fun sampling this great region of northern NZ. One of the options for those in our Central Ohio group on this custom, private sailing was to help to do as much (or as little as desired) in helping make this sail experience happen. Here you can see Captain Murray guiding the ship from this great vantage point on the back of the Zindabar. Was this exciting and scenic for our group?:

BayOfIslandsA14_zps5d841758.jpg

I realize I cannot see the country in depth from a ship, but a cruise lets me get a taste (an appetizer)to see if I want to return for a main course.:D

I have been fortunate to have traveled to many places in the world, mostly by ship. My last land tour was Peru (Machu Picchu) and Bolivia with Tauck tours. Have been to Egypt a number of years ago with A&K. Future "bucket list" trips are India and Africa.

I have been to Australia, did 5 nights in Sydney and then ventured to Port Douglas for 4 nights. Love Australia. In Sydney I played tourist climbing the bridge, rode the jet boats, and then did a winery tour outside of Sydney.

My last cruise in the far east was on Azamara from Hong Kong to Singapore......wonderful trip.

I have found I prefer ship travel over in and out of a hotel. I travel solo and as I am social by nature ship life agrees with me.

I am sailing my 79th cruise in November with 4 more cruises booked after that one......so I am a cruiser at heart.

NZ interests me and hope to do a Auckland to Sydney route with a pre stay I Auckland.

Interests.....natural beauty instead of museums. Outdoor physical activities especially when I can get wet and dirty:D:D:D. Love to experience food, and wine as well as see cultural differences. The Maori (sorry for the spelling) interests me greatly. In fact I would prefer to visit Papua New Guinea if I could find a cruise going there...yet another on my wish list.

Cruise line preference would probably be Princess.....I am Elite with them. Hate really big ships which is the future of cruises:(. The Aria/ Eden with P&O is of interest, but understand they do not sell passage through US agencies. So I am not sure these two P&O ships can be considered.

I also noticed when it comes to ships itineraries....some list port names but are actually cruise days.....and not actually stops....so closer investigation is needed.

Thanks for the comments on travel month...looks like late Feb or early March is best. As for trip length, no more than 14 days. I do not like leaving my dog alone for too long. s she is my only family I go through more sepration anxiety than she probably does. Any dog lovers out there will understand my discomfort.

One last thing......would consider bungee jumping. I maybe 63 years of age but blessed with health and am a gym rat....so physical activity is still exciting. After doing tandem hang gliding in Rio (sailed Buenos Aires to Rio on Oceania), I peed in my pants and felt so alive ...so thought Bungee jumping is next. If this activity is possible while in a port, I'd give it a try.....then throw out my skivvies:D

Thanks for all the info.......and more suggestion would be greatly appreciated. That's the beauty of Cruise Critic....people are willing to share their experiences.

Thanks again

Tom

One last thing......would consider bungee jumping. I maybe 63 years of age but blessed with health and am a gym rat....so physical activity is still exciting. After doing tandem hang gliding in Rio (sailed Buenos Aires to Rio on Oceania), I peed in my pants and felt so alive ...so thought Bungee jumping is next. If this activity is possible while in a port, I'd give it a try.....then throw out my skivvies

Thanks for all the info.......and more suggestion would be greatly appreciated. That's the beauty of Cruise Critic....people are willing to share their experiences. Thanks again. Tom

Appreciate, Tom, your follow-up and added details. WOW!! You have done lots of cruises and seen much of the world. For bungee jumping and other "excitement" interests, then you really need to do an overnight options to Queenstown, etc. More details on my full live/blog.

Bungee Jumping?? Where It All Started 26 Years Ago!!

We stopped at the Kawarau Suspension Bridge to see its rugged gorge where bungee-jumping was invented twenty-six years ago. This bridge is 141 feet above the river and was completed in 1881. It replaced a "punt" that was used to cross this river. The bridge formed a key access route to the Central Otago goldfields in the late 1800's. No “flying leaps” were included for our tour. Yes, we observed a number of jumpers making a dive into the gorge. And one person from our cruise on our bus did arrange in advance to do this jump. Could I have done this also? Yes, but after doing the Sydney Harbor BridgeClimb, I did not want to drive my wife too, too crazy with such a daring idea. There's always the next time in Queenstown. Maybe?

This operation, with its multi-level viewing areas, a gift shop (of course), is operated by the AJ Hackett Bungy Company. The "madness" began here in November 1988. More info at:

http://www.bungy.co.nz

By the way, this fun activity can be spelled as either bungee or bungy.

Keep following up with your good questions, comments, background, etc.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 197,956 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Here are a series of my pictures from the Kawarau Suspension Bridge and its dramatic gorge nearby to Queenstown. It's a classy bridge design in a setting that is world-class. The second picture shows how the platform is attached on its side for the jumps. In the third picture, you can see a young lady getting ready to make this famous bungee-jumping leap. Then, there is a visual with another person headed down toward the water. Finally, there is a look across the bridge as if one were ready to walk across this crossing. It's narrow!! It was built way before cars and trucks had been invented and built.:

QueentownExcurA17_zpsa21bfc30.jpg

QueentownExcurA14_zpsf2cbc62c.jpg

QueentownExcurA19_zpsfac8403c.jpg

QueentownExcurA22_zps967b81d5.jpg

QueentownExcurA18_zps6dd1fe97.jpg

One last thing......would consider bungee jumping. I maybe 63 years of age but blessed with health and am a gym rat....so physical activity is still exciting. After doing tandem hang gliding in Rio (sailed Buenos Aires to Rio on Oceania), I peed in my pants and felt so alive ...so thought Bungee jumping is next. If this activity is possible while in a port, I'd give it a try.....then throw out my skivvies:D
Queenstown is the classic place, but it's not a cruise port and IMO is not worth going to from a cruise port. You could easily do it pre-cruise or post-cruise, if your cruise starts or ends in NZ. Or you could do a further land stop in NZ on the way to the cruise or on the way back.

There is also an operation on the Auckland Harbour Bridge, which may be easier if you need to do this during a port call.

Definitely worth doing. When I did mine off the Kawarau bridge, Hacketts didn't charge over-60s, but I don't know whether they still have that offer.

Like the others, I'll say if you really want to experience New Zealand, do a road trip. Perhaps as a compromise, you might want to consider a cruise TO New Zealand. I did that last fall - cruised from California to New Zealand, then did a 10 day land trip (I rented a car to drive around the North Island). It was fabulous!

Another option , which many do dependant on time and budget , is to fly into Auckland and overnight , then fly to Queenstown for a couple of nights, back to Auckland and fly to Bay of Islands for a day or two, back to Auckand and join your cruise around the country and over to Australia.

I went on a Australia and New Zealand cruise in September. Some of the high altitude tours were a bit cool but otherwise the weather was perfect. In Milford Sound one of the great parts of the cruise, I had a conversation with a guy who had last visited the sound in January decades before. He said September was perfect since in the middle of summer sand flies are constantly biting you. I would strongly recommend going to Tasmania and take one of the very long tours to the incredible national parks. A very long bus ride but well worth it.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I Bungy jump in NZ in Arrowhead.. i would do it again in a heartbeat. Cruise ships never offer it but i would look into and enjoy the natural high.

also i still say smal lships are better than large one due to docking.

I Bungy jump in NZ in Arrowhead.. i would do it again in a heartbeat. Cruise ships never offer it but i would look into and enjoy the natural high.

also i still say smal lships are better than large one due to docking.

Arrowhead in NZ? Sorry, but there is no such place. I assume you mean Arrowtown which is near Queenstown, and the nearest bungy jumping place to that (unless they were doing a one-off special) is the Kawerau Suspension Bridge shown the TCLOhio's Pictures.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Queenstown is the classic place, but it's not a cruise port and IMO is not worth going to from a cruise port. You could easily do it pre-cruise or post-cruise, if your cruise starts or ends in NZ. Or you could do a further land stop in NZ on the way to the cruise or on the way back.

YES, agree that Queenstown and this area of the NZ South Island is super wonderful. A land tour would be great, but for us and our purposes, the two-day, Queenstown overnight ship excursion worked well as a part of our overall plan. The big, BIG challenge is that there is so much super excellent in BOTH New Zealand and Australia that you cannot do it ALL, during just one, initial trip. Even with nearly a whole month in these areas.

That is why lots of research and planning is so important to consider and set your personal priorities. Never enough time and money to make it possible during that one trip to accomplish all of your goals. And what others suggest for what they loved down under.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 176,661 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Arrowhead in NZ? Sorry, but there is no such place. I assume you mean Arrowtown which is near Queenstown, and the nearest bungy jumping place to that (unless they were doing a one-off special) is the Kawerau Suspension Bridge shown the TCLOhio's Pictures.

yes, that is what i meant. really that not far at all.. since i was thee in 2002 jumping i am surprised i remember anything at all:D