Booking from the UK

Is it still possible for people in the UK to book a cruise through an American agent? I know it's getting more difficult but the cruise I'm looking at is substantially cheaper on the US website.

Is it still possible for people in the UK to book a cruise through an American agent? I know it's getting more difficult but the cruise I'm looking at is substantially cheaper on the US website.

Yes, we have friends in the UK that use a US travel agent all the time.

Yes, we have friends in the UK that use a US travel agent all the time.

Thanks for the quick reply. A further question. How did they find the travel agent and get round not having a US address (which I thought you needed)

Thanks for the quick reply. A further question. How did they find the travel agent and get round not having a US address (which I thought you needed)

That I don't know for sure, but I believe our friends found their agent by word of mouth with other UK cruisers on board.

A further question. How did they find the travel agent and get round not having a US address (which I thought you needed)

Neither RCI, if booked directly, nor the TA confirm the validity of the address - you can use any US address.;)

We have three cruises booked via a US travel agent- always use our U.K. Home address- never a problem. Substantially cheaper, better perks, and price drops applied when necessary- wouldn't use anyone else.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We have three cruises booked via a US travel agent- always use our U.K. Home address- never a problem. Substantially cheaper, better perks, and price drops applied when necessary- wouldn't use anyone else.

When booking with UK TA you are ABTA and ATOL covered do the US travel agents have similar cover? as i often get emails from US travel agents but have never acted on it.

When booking with UK TA you are ABTA and ATOL covered do the US travel agents have similar cover? as i often get emails from US travel agents but have never acted on it.

Good question and something I hadn't thought about.

From my experience with Google broadcast/ advertising RC can broadcast their advertisement to US IP address only and not available to someone without a US IP address. So you need to get someone in the US to make the booking for you. The SG RC booking do not specify the nationality or residence of the person making the booking. In the same way RC can impose the condition that local RC TA can only broadcast to local IP address and not available outside the country.

Edited by SG007

So you need to get someone in the US to make the booking for you.

You can force your browser to the US site even when it normally would redirect to the local site. This is only an issue if you want to book directly. Using a TA not only gets you around this issue, it also gets you some perks.

You can force your browser to the US site even when it normally would redirect to the local site. This is only an issue if you want to book directly. Using a TA not only gets you around this issue, it also gets you some perks.

Can you explain how to do this i.e."You can force your browser to the US site even when it normally would redirect to the local site".

If you are referring to the international TA on CC it has a life on its own.

Here in SG the local TA work with the CC TA but it has been modified for the local market here.

No, you can modify the url in the web browser address line so that you end up on the US RCI site - I don't have the link handy, hopefully someone will chime in.

You can also use a free VPN like Cyberghost to make your browser appear in the US and then your will automatically be directed to the US site,

No not as far as I know. However, I am using well established, well known and highly recommended travel agent/web site that is highly unlikely to go bump.

I did a lot of research before taking the plunge, as like you, I was very hesitant, even though I'd been personally recommended by a dear, trusted American friend. We are lucky in the U.K. to have the safety net of ABTA and ATOL protection, but from personal experience of booking via the USA, I am more than happy to have taken the risk.

Can you explain how to do this i.e."You can force your browser to the US site even when it normally would redirect to the local site".

Here in SG the local TA work with the CC TA but it has been modified for the local market here.

If I'm making comparisons between the U.K. prices and the US prices, I use Tunnel Bear which is a VPN that tricks my browser into thinking it's in that country.

No, you can modify the url in the web browser address line so that you end up on the US RCI site - I don't have the link handy, hopefully someone will chime in.

You can also use a free VPN like Cyberghost to make your browser appear in the US and then your will automatically be directed to the US site,

Yes, I've used that link once before when someone posted it on here and it worked really well, but somehow I lost it so started using a VPN.

But Thanks for the tip about Cyberghost- I've been using TunnelBear which is a paid VPN. [emoji3]

We've only ever booked cruises using US travel agents - pricing is so much better!

I think if you pay using a credit card (as opposed to a debit) then you're covered by that - maybe worth checking?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums