BYO wine

stevemag

Hi sailing on QM2 just wandering when do we take our wine to be used in the dining room before we dine or when we actually go and do we take all the bottles to be used at once

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Hi sailing on QM2 just wandering when do we take our wine to be used in the dining room before we dine or when we actually go and do we take all the bottles to be used at once

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Speak to your Sommelier, they will advice and support.

We used bring down our bottle the day before, so they may open, decant etc at the correct time.

But now they collect all our bottles from our room, and on viewing the following day's menu we discuss our wines with the Sommelier, and select our next wine, albeit from our selection, or from the Wine List.

The Sommelier will then take care of everything.

Decanting. I've never seen a wine decanted over many years of cruising and never seen a wine served that needed it simply because of the possibility of sediment, though aerating of a fine bottle would be another matter. I doubt Cunard have a wine waiter who would know how or could even locate a decanter, or, indeed have the time.

David

Decanting. I've never seen a wine decanted over many years of cruising and never seen a wine served that needed it simply because of the possibility of sediment, though aerating of a fine bottle would be another matter. I doubt Cunard have a wine waiter who would know how or could even locate a decanter, or, indeed have the time.

David

Sorry, but all our personal bottles are decanted by the Sommelier.

How many bottles can we bring on board? We'll be sailing our first Cunard cruise on the QM2 in October.

Cunard has a mature attitude to wine and spirits. :)

To be fair to Cunard, we bring on about half of our dining wine requirements, plus one bottle of fine Congnac or Rum, while purchasing all other bottles and drinks on the ship.

Some guests are noticed bringing on board more than one case of wines/champagnes.

Cunard has the same attitude for spirits (liquors).

However, amongst most true Cunarders, it is an unwritten Cunard protocol not to abuse the Line's generosity, as this generous unofficial concession could be removed by Cunard if abuse noted (a la RCL).

Trust this assists

Thought wherever one dines, the same Cunard Wine list is offered to guests.

Yes it is, it's just that I have never see any wines of class ordered in Britannia, though that's not to say they never are. I dined once with a table companion who ordered the cheapest wine on the list then complained that he didn't like it. I pointed out that what he ordered was £4 in Asda.

David

Cunard has a mature attitude to wine and spirits. :)

To be fair to Cunard, we bring on about half of our dining wine requirements, plus one bottle of fine Congnac or Rum, while purchasing all other bottles and drinks on the ship.

Some guests are noticed bringing on board more than one case of wines/champagnes.

Cunard has the same attitude for spirits (liquors).

However, amongst most true Cunarders, it is an unwritten Cunard protocol not to abuse the Line's generosity, as this generous unofficial concession could be removed by Cunard if abuse noted (a la RCL).

You make it sound as if Cunard are doing us a tremendous favour letting us give them thousands of pounds to travel on their ships.

Bring as much as you can carry, Cunard won't mind.

Thanks everyone. Our QM2 cruise isn't until October, EB, so we can bring what we like easily. On the other hand we fly to San Juan Friday for 2 weeks on RCI Adventure of the Seas so we will have to buy in San Juan. A friend's daughter lives there and has advised us where to go to shop for a good selection and prices.

Yes it is, it's just that I have never see any wines of class ordered in Britannia, though that's not to say they never are. I dined once with a table companion who ordered the cheapest wine on the list then complained that he didn't like it. I pointed out that what he ordered was £4 in Asda.

David

David, how do you define a "wine of class"? -S.

In the MDR, Britannia, they will decant your wine brought on board, but they will charge you $20 corkage fee. The same corkage fee also applies in the Grills. As others have written, Cunard's policy regarding taking wine on board is very mature, not the wine police that one encounters on many competing cruise lines. In Britannia, they will also happily sell you the same wines that are sold in the Grills, whatever the price. The wine staff are good, some very good. And our experience has been that the wine staff in the Grills are about the same as those in Britannia in their expertise and service.

And our experience has been that the wine staff in the Grills are about the same as those in Britannia in their expertise and service.

The big difference is that in QG there are 3 Someliers for a maximum of 140 people, but probably no more that 60 or so dining at once, with a few exceptions, so the service level is very high.

Further to your personal definition of "class", may one enquire as to what was the highest priced bottle you have purchased on Cunard?

So many cruises over so many years, but in today's prices probably $70 and certainly not French.

This is a fair definition I think.

http://www.wsjwine.com/jsp/aboutwine/common/helpfulhintstemplate.jsp?hintId=100008&hhtitle=Fine%20Wines

Could I ask you the same question.

David

So many cruises over so many years, but in today's prices probably $70 and certainly not French.

This is a fair definition I think.

http://www.wsjwine.com/jsp/aboutwine/common/helpfulhintstemplate.jsp?hintId=100008&hhtitle=Fine%20Wines

Could I ask you the same question.

David

Certainly, just over $200.00 on Cunard.

But the most expensive ordered was on Celebrity (over 4), but declined when the company policy declared of paying first, then no refund, if on tasting, one declared the bottle as "off" or "corked" :eek:

Purchase most of our wines in France, followed by Italy then some from Spain.