US to LHR to Gatwick- luggage delay question

diane.in.ny

Does anyone have any experience with luggage delay into LHR when their next flight is out of Gatwick?

We are doing this next spring. The entire itinerary is on one airline PNR (AA and final leg on BA). Will AA transfer the luggage to BA at Gatwick to get to our final destination if it is delayed getting into LHR?

Was thinking about packing two suitcases, and mine and DH's clothes split between the two of them. (Probably smart way to pack anyway ...)

Thanks

When you change airports you will need to collect your luggage in LHR, make your way by bus or private transfer to LGW and check in for your flight. A safe connection time is normally advised as three hours. I've done it in les but wouldn't ever want to have to.

Do you have some reason to believe that your bags won't be on your originating flight into LHR? If your bags are on that flight, you will get them and make your way to Gatwick. If your bags were never put on that flight, then BA should handle them just as any other delayed luggage.

Again, is there something about your flights and connection to make you think your bags won't be with you? Without a lot more detail, it's supposition that you'll get.

Finally, asking if anyone else reading here on CC has both made the inter-airport connection AND has had a baggage issue of luggage not making it into LHR, then wondering what happened to them....I would say few if any.

When you change airports you will need to collect your luggage in LHR, make your way by bus or private transfer to LGW and check in for your flight. A safe connection time is normally advised as three hours. I've done it in les but wouldn't ever want to have to.

Aware of this and our connection time is 6 hrs :D

Was just wondering if our luggage misses the ORD to LHR leg ....

Do you have some reason to believe that your bags won't be on your originating flight into LHR? If your bags are on that flight, you will get them and make your way to Gatwick. If your bags were never put on that flight, then BA should handle them just as any other delayed luggage.

Again, is there something about your flights and connection to make you think your bags won't be with you? Without a lot more detail, it's supposition that you'll get.

Finally, asking if anyone else reading here on CC has both made the inter-airport connection AND has had a baggage issue of luggage not making it into LHR, then wondering what happened to them....I would say few if any.

We are flying using AA miles and have lousy itinerary in U.S. Flying from our home city to Charlotte, NC with 1 hr 20 min layover, then onto ORD, where we have a long layover. Concerned about delays into CLT.

Our final destination is Tenerife where we will spending a few days before boarding the ship.

So if I know AA (out of US) has the responsibility to pass it to BA at LGW, then I'm good :D

We are flying using AA miles and have lousy itinerary in U.S. Flying from our home city to Charlotte, NC with 1 hr 20 min layover, then onto ORD, where we have a long layover. Concerned about delays into CLT.

Our final destination is Tenerife where we will spending a few days before boarding the ship.

So if I know AA (out of US) has the responsibility to pass it to BA at LGW, then I'm good :D

If one or more bags don't show up on the carousel in LHR, go immediately to the BA baggage office and file a claim. You will provide a description of the missing bag(s) along with where you like to have delivery, most likely your hotel. (Alert your hotel that bags may be delivered.) You should also provide the cruise itinerary. It is actually BA (last airline on your flight itinerary) who is responsible for getting the bags to you.

If AA has a luggage tracking feature on their app, you can input the identifying numbers from your luggage receipt and track the progress of your bags on your own. Do this each step along the way and after boarding your flight out of ORD and you will know when your bags get loaded onto the aircraft.

It is BA's responsibility to get your bags to you as soon as possible, whether in Tenerife or a port of call. They will coordinate with AA if necessary. You MUST be proactive and file a missing bag claim, don't assume anything happens automatically.

Edited by Shorex

Diane, whatever happens you are very wise to split the items over two bags as you noted.

Be sure to place contact information inside each piece of luggage including cell phone number, hotel, ship etc.

I would call BA with your questions.

Keith

I'm probably batting close to it happening to me. I do the LHR/LGW and v.v. shuffle about 8-10 times each year.

The closest I got was during Xmas 2013 when the UK was hit with really bad winds. I boarded at JER before flying into LGW (immediate turn at Jersey) and the aircraft smelled of vomit, this was before one of the most turbluent flights ever, with two go-rounds at LGW. I was flying BA and the baggage handlers at LGW were not able to work the ramp as it was deemed too dangerous. There were lots of unhappy people as it was a couple of days before Xmas and lots of people's presents for family and friends were locked away. We gave details to the BA staff on duty and were told bags would be sent on to the addresses provided. I was due to fly out of LGW again about 5 days later and when it became apparent my bag was not going to be courierered to my mother in time I got in touch with someone at BA I know at LGW and they placed a note on my bag so that I would collect it at the airport before my flight. When we showed up to collect it the bag had left LGW about 90mins before en-route to the courier company's central office near Heathrow going to my mother's house! My father called their office and intercepted the bag near Heathrow and a couple of days later, after I'd flown back to Gatwick and transferred to Heathrow for my next flight I collected it from him. There are lots of ex-LHR and ex-LGW flights and LHR/LGW transfers in my life :D

Lots of fantastic feedback here.

Will take pictures of our luggage, make sure all info is in the suitcase, have extra copy of hotel and cruise info with me, check if AA has a luggage app and, if something happens, hit the BA luggage office :)

Thank you to everyone!