Which Breakaway pay restaurants are baby friendly?

yg90

Children of any age are welcome in all NCL restaurants. Of course, well mannered children are preferred:)

Of course. :) But, what I was getting at is that there are probably some restaurants that aren't ideal for a small baby and some that are ideal. For example, Teppenyaki might be OK because it's noisy and active whereas Ocean Blue might be tough because it's quieter and more upscale. Just wondering what people's experiences have been going into specific pay restaurants.

Hi. I ate at most of them. I would say Ocean Blue and Bistro would not be the best. Cagneys inside also would not be great. I do think Teppanaki is good, but it is very loud and might scare a baby. If yours is not scared easily, that would be a good choice. I think the Italian one is a great choice. Also, there is outside seating at the sushi place, that would be good. I did not like moderno at all, but I can't remember if that would be baby friendly. (Bistro does have outside seating in the atrium, which probably would be ok, just not inside.) (on the breakaway and getaway) I am trying to think of the other restaurants. I did a review of cc called "A foodies guide to dining on the Breakaway, you can google it. I do have to say that the first time I was on the Breakaway I did not like Cagney's, the second time I loved it so much, I went 2X. Just an FYI.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

At the risk of getting flamed, I'd say just bring your baby to wherever you want to go. You're on a cruise with 4000 other passengers, there are lots of children, and if other passengers don't want to be around children, then they can find alternative vacations. It's not like you're at home and going to a fancy restaurant and people give you nasty looks because you should have left your baby with a sitter.

Since you don't seem to be travelling with anyone, the two of you have no other option but to dine with your baby since the nursery doesn't take drop off babies.

Eat at whatever restaurants you want, and if your baby is fussy or cries, one of you could always just take a walk with him/her for a few minutes until s/he is more settled. If you're worried about noise, you could always elect to eat on the Waterfront for Ocean Blue, Moderno, Cagney's, La Cucina. For Le Bistro, you could sit in the atrium, where it's open and there is more traffic.

It boggles my mind how parents expect their kids to sit still through and hour to 2 hour dinner. We've seen far too many parents let their kids run ramp-id, scream, kick

and the parents do nothing. We've even seen a mother change a diaper in a booth at LeBistro.

I say stick to the buffet or O’Sheehan’s

I cruised with my 9 month old grandson. We ate late and he slept thru most meals which worked out great. Tepanyaki was a disaster too much noise and excitement resulting in an early exit for him and grandma. Bistro the first time no issues he slept thru dinner the second time another early exit with a crying baby. The key be flexible and make sure you are respectful of the other diners looking to enjoy a quiet night out.

It boggles my mind how parents expect their kids to sit still through and hour to 2 hour dinner. We've seen far too many parents let their kids run ramp-id, scream, kick

and the parents do nothing. We've even seen a mother change a diaper in a booth at LeBistro.

I have been on over 18 NCL cruises and always dine in the specialty restaurants. Not once have I witnessed kids running rampid, screaming and kicking. I guess I'm luckier than you.

Edited by NYcruzzer

I cruised with my 9 month old grandson. We ate late and he slept thru most meals which worked out great. Tepanyaki was a disaster too much noise and excitement resulting in an early exit for him and grandma. Bistro the first time no issues he slept thru dinner the second time another early exit with a crying baby. The key be flexible and make sure you are respectful of the other diners looking to enjoy a quiet night out.

This is what we did..... our DD was 9 months old, so we went during her early evening nap. No one heard a peep out of her.

I have been on over 18 NCL cruises and always dine in the specialty restaurants. Not once have I witnessed kids running rampid, screaming and kicking. I guess I'm luckier than you.

Than most! LOL There have been a couple of times that Le Bistro resembled Romper Room. For some reason one one occasion they sat hubby and I right next to this particular table. (No idea why) and there were about 3 kids, literally running, screaming and kicking all around a table with at least 10 adults. None of whom who stopped them. Go figure. For the most part though I agree, it's not the norm.

OP I don't think that most people mind kids in a restaurant as long as they're well behaved or they're removed if not (much like anyone should be if they're disturbing other guests, I'm not picking on kids.) I think that you might find that family geared specialty restaurants have more kinds than others. La Cucina & Teppanyaki come to mind.

At the risk of getting flamed, I'd say just bring your baby to wherever you want to go. You're on a cruise with 4000 other passengers, there are lots of children, and if other passengers don't want to be around children, then they can find alternative vacations. It's not like you're at home and going to a fancy restaurant and people give you nasty looks because you should have left your baby with a sitter.

Since you don't seem to be travelling with anyone, the two of you have no other option but to dine with your baby since the nursery doesn't take drop off babies.

Eat at whatever restaurants you want, and if your baby is fussy or cries, one of you could always just take a walk with him/her for a few minutes until s/he is more settled. If you're worried about noise, you could always elect to eat on the Waterfront for Ocean Blue, Moderno, Cagney's, La Cucina. For Le Bistro, you could sit in the atrium, where it's open and there is more traffic.

Absolutely all of this!! Sure, you are going to have some stuck up diners who will frown at you even if your baby sleeps the entire meal. That's just how ships are. Enjoy your meal with your babe by your side. :)

If the baby sleeps and is pleasant, any restaurant. But if the kid is out of control, crying, etc. then don't torture yourself or others, tell them to deliver your food to your cabin and leave. Once in Le Bistro we witnessed a couple all dressed up with a toddler in tow who did not want to be there. They took turns getting up, leaving to walk out in the lobby, while the other tried to eat. It was a total disaster. And while they were very conscience of others eating around them and kept the whiny child outside, I really felt sorry for them, they had a terrible meal. Only you can know your child's habits and personality. Plan accordingly.

I, for one, would love to have you sailors show me a 9 month old that runs rampant in a restaurant =).

we can put him up on the basketball competition.

To OP:

i sailed with my 10 month old and we always planned "nicer" meals around his nap or sleep time.

Le bistro was during his bed time (8:30) so we enjoyed a nice quiet relaxing meal with the stroller at our side and a cover over him. Matter of fact, it was a bunch of older individuals sitting two tables down that were inebriated and pounding on the table

If the baby sleeps and is pleasant, any restaurant. But if the kid is out of control, crying, etc. then don't torture yourself or others, tell them to deliver your food to your cabin and leave. Once in Le Bistro we witnessed a couple all dressed up with a toddler in tow who did not want to be there. They took turns getting up, leaving to walk out in the lobby, while the other tried to eat. It was a total disaster. And while they were very conscience of others eating around them and kept the whiny child outside, I really felt sorry for them, they had a terrible meal. Only you can know your child's habits and personality. Plan accordingly.

yea ... ugh ... now with the second kid, there's always that "oh it'll be different this time" and the answer is always no =)

I would say all but Ocean Blue. We've had our very small children in all the specialty restaurants on other ships (Breakaway was just us- no kids) and it has always worked out quite well. Obviously a child's temperament can change based on factors such as tiredness, but you will be able to judge that from day to day. Our strategy is always to eat around 6pm, which is their normal dinner time. We have never had any of our children cause any type of disruption, and certainly not run rampant (or ramp-id hahaha)

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

My children and now my grandchildren have no problem sitting through a 1-2 hour dinner. They also do not eat from the kids menu. I have always encouraged them to try all kinds of food. They are not picky eaters, actually they are little "Foodies." I agree with you about children whose parents let them run wild but that sure didn't seem like it would be the case with OP. Why should she and her DH miss out on the specialty restaurants because of a 9 month old baby? She sounds responsible or she wouldn't have bothered asking. I have been disturbed more by loud, obnoxious adult drunks on cruises way more than by children.

Enjoy your cruise yg90!

This.

In trumps.

On one cruise my niece was 6. She is used to fine dining. And her behavior was as good as if not better than diners much older. No kids meals for her either. She prefers asparagus to French fries and mushrooms to corn.

On one cruise my niece was 6. She is used to fine dining. And her behavior was as good as if not better than diners much older. No kids meals for her either. She prefers asparagus to French fries and mushrooms to corn.

The issue here we are not talking about a six year old but a 9 month old. Huge difference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

The issue here we are not talking about a six year old but a 9 month old. Huge difference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

Was quoting love sailings post which said "kids"... Sorry if my post bothered you.