Sea Princess Information

ssbeagle

What can you tell me about the Sea Princess. We have a balcony cabin booked and would like to know about it and what is available on the ship and how you all feel about it. Thank you!

If you are used to Grand class ships you will find that all cabins on Sea Princess are smaller than you are used to. Balconies on Sea Princess are quite small and are cut into the hull so there is no glass panel - just the steel hull for the lower barrier.

We sailed on Sea Princess for our first cruise and spent 10 days in a very small inside cabin. Being our first experience with a cruise ship it didn't bother us at all and we fell in love with cruising. I don't know if Cafe Corniche is still there or if the venue has been renamed but we had excellent pizza there. Inside, sit down place similar to Alfredo's on some other ships. Keith just posted a picture of a Sea Princess balcony in another thread. He will likely be happy to post it here for you.

What can you tell me about the Sea Princess. We have a balcony cabin booked and would like to know about it and what is available on the ship and how you all feel about it. Thank you!

If your standard balcony is side of ship the here is what it will look like.

52646-1456026866.JPG

Not to emphasize "what's missing" but as the OP has sailed several Grand-class ships:

• The only specialty dining venue is Sterling Steakhouse, held in a section of the Horizon Court in the evening
  • There is no free soft-serve at the Ice Cream stand, only a premium Australian brand that is charged for
  • Main source for premium coffee concoctions is the Amuleto Cafe in the Horizon Court. The food selection does not appear to even remotely compare to the International Cafe.

According to both the Dining Venues PDF and the list of Sea Princess features on its dedicated section of the Princess website, there is still La Patisserie at the bottom of the atrium. But the Sea Princess deck plans show the (former?) locations for La Patisserie and Lobby Bar merged into something called "Explorers Bar". Hopefully someone who has been on Sea Princess recently will chime in as to what that venue actually is.

...but on the good news front: the sit down Pizzeria referenced above is still there!

Of course, but I am wanting to know how others who have been on this ship feel about it and some of the good things about it. If you look at my signature, we have been on everything from the small Pacific Princess (my favorite ship) to the large Royal Princess. I would like to know which ship it can compare to. We were on the original 1200 pax Royal Princess several times and I loved it.

[...W]e have been on everything from the small Pacific Princess (my favorite ship) to the large Royal Princess. I would like to know which ship it can compare to. We were on the original 1200 pax Royal Princess several times and I loved it.

Sea Princess, along with Sun Princess and the about-to-leave-the-fleet Dawn Princess, are your basic 1990s-era Panamax ships. The older ships they essentially replaced in the fleet--original Royal, original Star, the long-forgotten Sky--were originally built for upscale lines and handed down to Princess. You can think of Sea as a very distant cousin/next generation of those--but with much smaller cabins and roughly 50% more passengers. No other ships in the current Princess fleet can be said to have any real correspondence to the Sun-class.

If you are used to Grand class ships you will find that all cabins on Sea Princess are smaller than you are used to. Balconies on Sea Princess are quite small and are cut into the hull so there is no glass panel - just the steel hull for the lower barrier.

We sailed on Sea Princess for our first cruise and spent 10 days in a very small inside cabin. Being our first experience with a cruise ship it didn't bother us at all and we fell in love with cruising. I don't know if Cafe Corniche is still there or if the venue has been renamed but we had excellent pizza there. Inside, sit down place similar to Alfredo's on some other ships. Keith just posted a picture of a Sea Princess balcony in another thread. He will likely be happy to post it here for you.

He did post it and it is very small. Thank you for all your information. I still have a few days to decide.

Wow, that is a tiny balcony!

I believe the Sun Princess would be the same design as the Sea P. We measured our balcony on the Sun - it was 1.1 metres wide. We have cruised on the Sea Princess many times and have enjoyed the ship, but I suppose I have to say that we have enjoyed all our Princess cruises. The Sea Princess is much more compact than the Grand class. One good design feature is a wrap-around outside Promenade deck (all on one level).

If you have any specific questions please ask.

• 2 months later...

Have been to that wesite multiple times, but still have a couple of questions. Sea Princess pics for balconies show plexi-glass, but posters' pics show otherwise. It appears she will be refurbished by Sept. of this year. Does anyone know what changes are being made? I don't notice any difference in the pre and post Sept. diagrams. Is it just cosmetic changes? What am I missing?

Have been to that wesite multiple times, but still have a couple of questions. Sea Princess pics for balconies show plexi-glass, but posters' pics show otherwise. It appears she will be refurbished by Sept. of this year. Does anyone know what changes are being made? I don't notice any difference in the pre and post Sept. diagrams. Is it just cosmetic changes? What am I missing?

I'm almost certain I read the refurbishment is in October in Singapore but I can't find where I read it. It does fit in with the gap in the cruise schedule between the 20th October (ends in Singapore) and the 6th November that starts in Singapore. Pity, my teeny 4 day cruise is 4th of October