Disappointed with RCCL

Thank you! You have been a true help and I appreciate it!

You are more than welcome Laura.

Thank you for taking the time out of what I am sure is a very busy life to help others!! Our family loves RCCL and I just want to see that EVERYBODY has a wonderful experience cruising with them as our family does!! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Laura

Since we're looking seriously at Oasis/Allure and the options for the 3rd person in the cabin ill be sure when I call Royal to inquire about the sofa bed configuration (as the room descriptions now say to do) I will voice memo the conversation on my iPhone from the speaker phone on my cordless... Just in case they don't have a record of our conversation ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Within the next 45 days they will update the website to alert guests to contact their travel agent or RCL If they require additional information regarding sofa bed configuration.

Laura,

I'm so happy that you received a response to your satisfaction.

My only concern is the above comment from your conversation with them. The idea that a TA or RCL rep will be able to clarify the sofa bed configuration gives me pause. It was an RCL rep that told you there was a sofa bed in the room and that it could accommodate 4 guests! While they have promised to provide better information, I just have my doubts that this mistake won't be made again when an RCL rep or TA is asked to clarify the bedding and sleeping arrangements.

I hope I'm wrong. But I've read several posts about mistakes on the website with respect to room configuration, and I don't have 100% confidence that they will get it right.

What I'd hope they do is change the website to indicate that is a CHAIR, not a sofa. Or better yet, supply some sofa beds!

In any event, I'm glad they followed up with you. I hope you won't ever have to repeat this experience.

Laura

Since we're looking seriously at Oasis/Allure and the options for the 3rd person in the cabin ill be sure when I call Royal to inquire about the sofa bed configuration (as the room descriptions now say to do) I will voice memo the conversation on my iPhone from the speaker phone on my cordless... Just in case they don't have a record of our conversation ;)

Beth, that is a really good idea, and one that i will do from now on as well:) I hope you have an amazing time on whichever cruise you choose.

The key phrase to look for on the deck plans is "Pullman Bed". That's the one that's an upper bunk that pulls from the overhead or folds out of the bulkhead.

Edit to add: found an old thread that has pictures of the Pullman bed.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1529514

Edited by hellsop

Laura,

I'm so happy that you received a response to your satisfaction.

My only concern is the above comment from your conversation with them. The idea that a TA or RCL rep will be able to clarify the sofa bed configuration gives me pause. It was an RCL rep that told you there was a sofa bed in the room and that it could accommodate 4 guests! While they have promised to provide better information, I just have my doubts that this mistake won't be made again when an RCL rep or TA is asked to clarify the bedding and sleeping arrangements.

I hope I'm wrong. But I've read several posts about mistakes on the website with respect to room configuration, and I don't have 100% confidence that they will get it right.

What I'd hope they do is change the website to indicate that is a CHAIR, not a sofa. Or better yet, supply some sofa beds!

In any event, I'm glad they followed up with you. I hope you won't ever have to repeat this experience.

I actually agree with you. I think that it should just clearly state 'Chair bed" or at least Twin size pull out, which is what I was told is the information the Rep has on her computer. At least there is something stated in the deck plans now that might give someone pause to ask a few more questions, and hope the rep can get it right. At the very least there are a lot of people that read this thread that will defiantly be clarifying their accommodations. I don't think I will book a cabin again unless I see pictures of it. Thank Goodness for CC and all the great people here.

Laura

Beth: I have no idea why law is applicable to your proposed recording of your conversation with RCI. However, be aware that in some states both parties must consent to a recording otherwise recording the call is illegal. In some states, a party to the call can record it without the consent of the other party. You can certainly ask RCI for consent, just like when we call in we get a recording telling us that the call may be recorded or monitored for quality purposes.

Beth: I have no idea why law is applicable to your proposed recording of your conversation with RCI. However, be aware that in some states both parties must consent to a recording otherwise recording the call is illegal. In some states, a party to the call can record it without the consent of the other party. You can certainly ask RCI for consent, just like when we call in we get a recording telling us that the call may be recorded or monitored for quality purposes.

Good point. Don't want anyone to get into trouble:) I wonder what the Rep would say if you asked if you could record them?? LOL

Good point. Don't want anyone to get into trouble:) I wonder what the Rep would say if you asked if you could record them?? LOL

Typically when the phone call is answered a recording indicates that the conversation may or is being recorded for . . . Seems to me that this is explicitly consent on their part for the call to be recorded. But I'm not a lawyer, nor have I stayed at a Holiday Inn recently.

I was told by C&A that there were some Board Walk or Central Park balconies that had a pull out sofa, But we really want an ocean view because my son fatigues easily and unlike others we spend a lot of time in our cabin and its the only way to see the beautiful water.

Cabin 14297 on Allure has a pull-out SOFAbed by the balcony.

Cabin 14297 on Allure has a pull-out SOFAbed by the balcony.

Thats good information, can you tell me if that was an accessible cabin? Still wondering if there are any accessible cabins with true SOFA beds?

Thats good information, can you tell me if that was an accessible cabin? Still wondering if there are any accessible cabins with true SOFA beds?

14297 on Allure is category AN, Boardwalk balcony. No mention of anything but the twin beds that can convert to a "Royal King", whatever that is.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ports/accessibilityFeatures.do?pagename=accessible_staterooms_popup_AL lists all the accessible categories aboard Allure. Interesting they list 14297 as B2, while the deck plans show it as AN. Note that on the linked page it's capacity is shown as 2.

• 11 months later...

Unfortunately, RCL has not corrected this problem. We are booked on Oasis in two handicapped accessible cabins #12166 and #12170. We have four people in one cabin and three in the other. The issue is that the cabin with three people (ranging from late 50s to 90) no one wants to sleep on that single chairbed or in a pullman. The pictures of the cabins are very misleading. RCL could have easily added something to inform people of the single chairbed. I don't think that it will work for most people who need assistance. I take it that not all of the handicap rooms have the chairbed, right?

I just want to point out from the picture above, that there is plenty of space for a double pull out sofa in this cabin. The way the sofas work, it would not come out any further than this chair. There was also plenty of space along the wall to fit the double sofa. This had nothing to do with accessibility in this room. There was still room to get out to the balcony as well.

I was told that this cabin could if need be sleep a total of 5. Which would make sense with the two twins put together, a DOUBLE pull out sofa bed and a pullman. Something just doesn't seem right. The C&A rep said that there was a mistake made with this cabin, I defiantly agree!

Unfortunately, RCL has not corrected this problem. We are booked on Oasis in two handicapped accessible cabins #12166 and #12170. We have four people in one cabin and three in the other. The issue is that the cabin with three people (ranging from late 50s to 90) no one wants to sleep on that single chairbed or in a pullman. The pictures of the cabins are very misleading. RCL could have easily added something to inform people of the single chairbed. I don't think that it will work for most people who need assistance. I take it that not all of the handicap rooms have the chairbed, right?

I am sorry that this problem is still happening. I was hopeful that the way they handled it to begin with was just a quick fix and that eventually they would clarify it as a chair bed, or the very least twin sofa bed. Better yet remove that ridiculous chair and put in a dang SOFABED! From my understanding there is not any Balcony ocean view accessible cabins with a true sofa bed. There is supposedly accessible boardwalk and Central Park with true sofa beds. I hope it is not to late for you to make other accommodations, because I can assure you no one will be happy sleeping on that chair! I wish you all the best, and a fabulous cruise.

This seems almost unethical that a cruise line would expect ANYBODY to sleep on that. I am not handicapped in any way, shape, or form, but if I saw that 'bed" in my room I would throw a fit.

This makes me nervous about my upcomign cruise on Freedom. This is my first cruise EVER and we are sleeping three to a room but now I am nervous that chair/bed thing will be in my room. My room is listed as with a sofa bed but I am going to cry if that chair bed shows up in my room.

I am sorry that this problem is still happening. I was hopeful that the way they handled it to begin with was just a quick fix and that eventually they would clarify it as a chair bed, or the very least twin sofa bed. Better yet remove that ridiculous chair and put in a dang SOFABED! From my understanding there is not any Balcony ocean view accessible cabins with a true sofa bed. There is supposedly accessible boardwalk and Central Park with true sofa beds. I hope it is not to late for you to make other accommodations, because I can assure you no one will be happy sleeping on that chair! I wish you all the best, and a fabulous cruise.

I remember this thread from last year.

I also remember that they changed the deck plans on line.

It may not be as clear as one would wish, but they changed the legend to this:

Stateroom with sofa bed and third Pullman bed available.

For sofa bed configuration call your Travel Agent or Royal Caribbean International. (emphasis mine)

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ships/ship/decks/deck/home.do?deckCode=12&shipCode=OA&shipProfile=1535&sailDate=1140621&hasNavigation=false

The problem is its says sofa bed. I don't think most people would think this meant sofa chair. Luckily I saw the post from Laura and contacted my TA to find out. Also luckily we are far enough out that we can make a change. At least if RCL stated that it was a sofa chair it would give people pause to ask follow up questions.

For sofa bed configuration call your Travel Agent or Royal Caribbean International. (emphasis mine)

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ships/ship/decks/deck/home.do?deckCode=12&shipCode=OA&shipProfile=1535&sailDate=1140621&hasNavigation=false

I believe it is a marketing decision. RCI doesn't want to use the term "sofa chair" or any other term that more fully informs the reader because the dang things are used in other rooms as well and they correctly assume that most people would be put off by a "sofa" that only sleeps one. The fact is that calling the thing a "sofa" really pushes the definition. I think their saying "for sofa bed configuration call your Travel Agent or Royal Caribbean International" instead of the much shorter "three section sofa bed sleeps one" supports this belief.

Seems like rccl likes to pay lip service to the differently abled but not actually deliver. We booked a cruise specifically because they were claiming to be autism friendly and have trained staff in the kids club plus priority boarding and debark for those on the spectrum... All this was promised in many phonecalls directly with rccl... But no. When we arrived no one knew what I was talking about and it was all pretty much bunk. I ended up with a pretty stressed out half wrekt 6 year old at the end of it. I don't expect everyone to cater to us, just make good on the statements made on your own web page.

I haven't been able to read all 16 pages of posts so forgive me if I've missed something. I've travelled on Royal Caribbean some 4 times now, 3 with our profoundly disabled son. The first trip in 2007 was on Voyager in an inside cabin. My DH and I had the double bed and our son had a sofa bed (a proper sofa bed).

Our second trip we booked into an accessible Ocean View on Splendour - it was a lovely stateroom but for the fact that the 'third' spare bed was a pullman with ladder (my son cannot cllimb ladders) and the sofa was not a sofabed. I won't go into all the details but I made a huge fuss and after the first night when my son had an awful broken rollaway, they sent in a carpenter to dismantle the sofa and they replaced it with a proper bed. We were given on board credit, champagne and a future cruise voucher by way of apology which was very much appreciated and I could see the 'thinking' - ie disabled person has the main bed with partner (or in 2 singles) and third person has pullman. However the original poster for this thread clearly didn't get as good a deal as we had by way of compensation and I am very disappointed for them.

We subsequently travelled on Liberty and had another inside stateroom. Exactly the same sort of layout as on Voyager with a proper sofabed - everything was fine.

On our recent trip on Independence we didn't take our son BUT we have booked on Oasis for 2015 - in the Accessible Loft Suite. We have been told it will sleep our family with no problem and as ideally my husband and I want the upstairs bedroom, we plan on putting our 28 year old son in the sofabed and our 30 year old daughter on a rollaway...(hopefully better than the one on Splendour) however if what has been said is true that there isn't a single accessible stateroom on board that has a sofabed we have a problem.

I was assured that in fact the Loft can actually sleep up to 5 people and all the photos and indeed videos of the Accessible Sky Loft suggest it is a proper sofabed - so has anyone any thoughts or comments.

I will be in touch with the special needs department obviously but feedback/advice would be helpful.