Internet Access

bspill

On our last cruise on the Silver Shadow, unlimited Internet access was offered on a daily rate as well as a per minute rate. Planning on a cruise on the Silver Cloud. Does any one know if daily Internet access is available on the cloud as well or do you have to buy mInutes?

On our last cruise on the Silver Shadow, unlimited Internet access was offered on a daily rate as well as a per minute rate. Planning on a cruise on the Silver Cloud. Does any one know if daily Internet access is available on the cloud as well or do you have to buy mInutes?

duct tape: All the ships are now using the open access plans.

Appreciate the confirmation from duct tape. Welcome to these boards for bspill. Keep posting and asking good questions.

In getting ready for our Jan. 25-Feb. 20' date=' 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo back-to-back sailing on the Silver Cloud, I am still [b']debating the pro/con factors[/b] for using this unlimited options. For this first 17-day sailing segment, it would cost $272 to have this option. That's about the cost for a 1000-minute package at $250. Would need to do more than an average of 59 minutes a day to make buying that unlimited plan work. Given that six of the seventeen days will be sea sailings makes me lean in that direction. Added reactions/suggestions from others who are more experienced for considering these trade-offs and "value" factors with doing the unlimited package versus larger, fixed packages?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 86,773 views for this posting.

Appreciate the confirmation from duct tape. Welcome to these boards for bspill. Keep posting and asking good questions.

In getting ready for our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo back-to-back sailing on the Silver Cloud, I am still debating the pro/con factors for using this unlimited options. For this first 17-day sailing segment, it would cost $272 to have this option. That's about the cost for a 1000-minute package at $250. Would need to do more than an average of 59 minutes a day to make buying that unlimited plan work. Given that six of the seventeen days will be sea sailings makes me lean in that direction. Added reactions/suggestions from others who are more experienced for considering these trade-offs and "value" factors with doing the unlimited package versus larger, fixed packages?

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 86,773 views for this posting.

Its a no brainer Terry, just go unlimited.

If you're reading email, 60 minutes per day would probably be plenty. I enjoy reading newspapers and Web browsing. 60 minutes could go by very quickly, especially when you have several consecutive days at sea. Also, I like to upload photos to the cloud to back them up which, at the slower speeds on board, could take quite a while.

Terry, I agree with Mr. Spectre. Get the unlimited. I have always taken the 1000 minute package. Our upcoming FLL to LA Spirit cruise is 16 days, so $256 for unlimited versus $250 for 1000 minutes is a no brainer.

And as Duct Tape pointed out on her recent cruise, internet speed was probably slower because many people were on line longer because of the unlimited plan. Your minutes may disappear more quickly than in the past.

Dieter

On our recent 16 day sailing, the unlimited option was, for me, heaven sent. Much cheaper than other pricing options.

We could use the Internet when we liked, where we liked (with the exception of the Observation lounge; for some reason reception there is blocked). I thought the connection speed was the best I"d experienced overall over a number of Silversea cruises.

I used both my ipad and iphone to access the Internet (although only one device can be connected via an individual's account at any given time; if you are already logged in from one device and you try to connect with another, it logs you out of the first).

Notably, sites like YouTube are now blocked on board; I think this is a good move as restricting people to general browsing levels the playing field for everyone. Some bandwidth hogs either don't realise, or don't care, about the impact they have on others (a different thread altogether). Apparently some set up virtual offices in their suites to work whilst away...

Just wondering now how long this unlimitedplan will be around for, given it is cost effective and bound to be popular.

Here is the pricing plan from Silver Cloud as of our cruise last month. The cruise-long unlimited internet is $16/day. We purchased it immediately upon boarding and it worked very well for us.

Fullscreen%2520capture%252010272014%2520112154%2520AM.jpg

NB: I took this screenshot with only 4 days to go in our cruise, so that's why it shows the unlimited access plan for only 4 days duration. We paid $144 for 9 days of unlimited access. Since we had plenty of OBC, even better!

They still offer the $250 for 1000 minutes, and the $0.50 per minute pay as you go plan.

Its a no brainer Terry, just go unlimited.

duct tape: You can access newspapers and movies' date=' even some TV, on their dime. [/quote']

Wellseasoned: Terry' date=' I agree with Mr. Spectre. Get the unlimited. And as Duct Tape pointed out on her recent cruise, internet speed was probably slower because many people were on line longer because of the unlimited plan. Your minutes may disappear more quickly than in the past. Dieter [/quote']

Appreciate all of these smart comments, insights and thoughts. YES, very helpful!! I also like to surf the various newspapers, track football scores at NFL.com, etc. Plus, monitoring the cold weather back in Central Ohio to make one feel good for being in these warm areas during this time of the year.

And in doing a live/blog, uploading pictures, that unlimited service makes things much easier.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 164,531 views. Appreciate the interest and follow-up questions/comments!!

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Notably, sites like YouTube are now blocked on board; I think this is a good move as restricting people to general browsing levels the playing field for everyone.

Interesting that you found this, as far as I can tell sites are only blocked on the desktops in the computer area, absolutely nothing is blocked on my phone, including streaming music videos, and yes the bandwidth is adequate for streaming music (or other video) most of the time.

You can access newspapers and movies, even some TV, on their dime.

I haven't seen any info about accessing newspapers on their dime. Would be helpful since my wife will try to wrest the Internet access from me as much as possible. Can anyone just log in and have access to newspapers?

You don't have to log in. On the screen where you would access Internet, scroll down to newspapers. I think.

Almost correct, but you have to login once to download and install the Pressreader app if you wish to read newspapers on a phone, tablet or laptop. Once installed newspapers can be accessed, downloaded (whilst connected to wifi) and then perused at your leisure whilst offline.

Sending you a big hug xxx.