Cabin Noise On Cloud

bspill

Several reviews of the Silver Cloud complain about poor sound insulation of the cabin walls. Has anyone experienced noise from adjacent suites on the Cloud? We're considering a 24 day combo cruise and a noisy suite would be a real downer.

Generally the insulation is good. If the suite next door has the TV on full volume then it can be heard. Suites near the prow do suffer from some noise when docking, but are otherwise ok. You would have to be light sleeper to be bothered.

However, keep clear of the Owners Suite unless you have a cast iron guarantee that the pool machinery noise has gone.

On Cloud and Wind, you can sometimes hear TV, conversation, drawers and cupboard doors closing -- but it has to be fairly loud to be audible. Newer SS ships are better. It doesn't stop Cloud being our favourite ship!

Agree with every comment!

On our recent Wind cruise (sister ship to Cloud), it was the first time in several Silversea cruises that we could hear constant television noise from the next suite (deck 5, mid ship).

The couple next door was quite elderly and never seemed to leave their room. The television was on from around 9:00am and was still going when we retired around 10:00pm. Both breakfast and dinner were delivered.

It wasn't a major source of irritation because we spend very little time in our suite. When we wanted to nap in the afternoon, we turned off the AC and opened our balcony door to listen to the ocean as opposed to their television.

If we were in a Vista suite, we would most likely have asked them to turn it down.

On Cloud and Wind, you can sometimes hear TV, conversation, drawers and cupboard doors closing -- but it has to be fairly loud to be audible. Newer SS ships are better. It doesn't stop Cloud being our favourite ship!

Appreciate so much your comment on "It doesn't stop Cloud being our favourite ship!" Cute and fun!!

Yes, as I recall on the Cloud in 2010, plus on some other ships, there could be a slight problem at limited times if some folks, many older, who have their TV turned up too loud. Overall, things work out. Agree that we tend to be "busy" and are not in our rooms for large periods of time.

Love the comment from duct tape: "People occasionally have the TV too loud and/ or fall asleep with it on after a few drinks. I just call them on the phone, wake them up and ask them to turn it down! Works every time." Great idea on opening the balcony door, letting the sea sounds muffle any unwanted noise.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 164,531 views. Appreciate the interest and follow-up questions/comments!!

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

The problem with opening the veranda door is that if enough people do it, it shuts down an already fragile AC system.

Exactly! It's great for ME, without regard to the company and other guests.

It would not hurt if the captain mentioned this during his noon time speech, along with the importance of washing hands frequently.

Exactly! It's great for ME, without regard to the company and other guests.

It would not hurt if the captain mentioned this during his noon time speech, along with the importance of washing hands frequently.

Before we opened our door, we checked with our butler if it was okay. He gave the go ahead, so long as we turned the AC control on our suite wall to 0. Which we duly did.

Now, granted, he's not an engineer, but we figured we could rely on his advice for these sorts of things.

Had we known about the impact on the AC overall, we wouldn't have gone ahead.

So, yes, we agree that it would be helpful if the Captain mentioned it, or there was a note placed in the suite.

Edited by badgerdee

I have a travel size white noise machine which we use on cruises or in hotel rooms whenever we travel. It is a brilliant piece of kit. Doesn't eliminate noise, but it certainly muffles it.

Any particular brand of white noise machine?

Any particular brand of white noise machine?

We use a white noise machine at home, in hotels, and on ship. In fact we have two machines, one for home and a smaller one for travel. We are so used to it that we can no longer sleep without it. It is a marvelous invention which I recommend highly. Ours were bought from Brookstone.

We just finished the transatlantic crossing on the Cloud and my suite was mostly quiet but a friend just next door had almost continuos complaints regarding noise in the overhead and walls as well as furniture settling noises.

Another fan of the white noise machine.

I actually read about them for the first time here on the Silversea board a couple of years ago. I wish I could remember who it was who posted so I could thank them. I suspect it was patnlcc because I ordered mine from Amazon and it's the same brand.

I'm very noise sensitive and do find the machine helps. I got used to it first by using it a home for about 3 weeks pre-cruise because at the beginning the noise of the machine irritated me :rolleyes: So I got used to it and now find it very helpful on cruises and in hotels.

Highly recommended.

It probably was me, Ravenscroft, I have told sooooo many people how brilliant it is. If I go for a snooze after lunch onboard (which I frequently do as I will have had wine with lunch!) I use it then also and don't hear a thing from the corridors or other cabins. I am so pleased you like yours.

On an 11 day July/August cloud cruise, due the pool pump we slept only 2 nights, complained everyday, received no help, wrote to Mr. Sauleau, received no reply. We cancelled our 2015 cruise, could not cancel our November cruise on the Wind as we would have lost too much money.

The food was dreadful on both cruises (meatloaf!) The furniture was good for the trash on the Wind, the towels grey and rough, but we could sleep.

Never again (we have over 200 nights). however I will miss the Philippino staff, they so hard working and kind. They have corners to the max.

could not cancel our November cruise on the Wind as we would have lost too much money.

The food was dreadful on both cruises (meatloaf!) The furniture was good for the trash on the Wind, the towels grey and rough, but we could sleep.

Hmm ... I wonder which Wind you were on? I just cruised the Silver Wind for 17 days in November with white, soft towels and perfectly good furniture. OK, there were a few, a very few, sun loungers (the extra ones, not padded, that they use aft on deck 9) that were broken, but there were plenty of good ones to use.

And the only problem with the food was that it was all so good that I am, as always, now on my post-cruise diet ...

We had a noise issue on the Cloud in Sept 2013... Halfway thru the cruise, a rattle developed in the area around our window (deck 4)... Any time the ship was sailing it was there. After one sleepless night, we showed our butler after leaving port... The suggestion was to move us so the head butler moved us to another cabin down the hall (ship wasn't full)... All done while we were at dinner. Evidently they sometimes have to take the wall apart to find the source...

Oh, and we really loved the Cloud... Boarding on 12/22 ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by beckaboo

• 1 month later...
On an 11 day July/August cloud cruise, due the pool pump we slept only 2 nights, complained everyday, received no help, wrote to Mr. Sauleau, received no reply. We cancelled our 2015 cruise, could not cancel our November cruise on the Wind as we would have lost too much money.

It would be very helpful if people who have experienced issues with specific cabins would post the cabin number, so others can avoid booking that cabin.

In response to several posts about sound machines, here's a great one for international travel. We've used it both US and abroad for years.

Zohne by Marpac travel sound machine with a universal transformer, several plug adaptors, and a travel pouch. It's $75, free shipping from marpac.com.