best lines/ships for non-specialty restaurants?

anonmom

I want to take my daughter on our first cruise and I am looking for an all-inclusive experience. What cruise lines/ships have the best food in their NON-specialty restaurants?

I know that tastes are subjective, but I'm interested in hearing what people think. I'd love to hear details of what foods/dining rooms you liked and why.

We love many different cuisines: sushi/Japanese, steak, authentic Mexican, seafood, Indian, Italian, tapas, Latin American (authentic and fusion), authentic Chinese, Asian fusion, salads/greens, vegetarian/vegan foods, etc.

The only foods we aren't really into are deep-fried stuff, hot dogs, processed foods, greasy foods, etc. I can usually find something I like at any mass-market chain restaurant like Olive Garden, Outback, Red Lobster, etc. by sticking to fresh fish, steak, salads, etc., but I wouldn't want to eat American/Americanized food every day for a whole week.

My daughter is allergic to eggs and nuts, so any info about special diets, especially allergy-free and vegan options, would also be much appreciated! We both drink soy milk instead of cow's milk, too, and I haven't seen it listed on any "complimentary beverages" list.

Food = Oceania

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have heard wonderful things about the food on Oceania, but unfortunately they don't have a kids club for my daughter. I am a single mom, so while I enjoy her company, I also want a break some of the time, especially on sea days.

And, of course, the cabin prices on Oceania cruises tend to be higher than the price of a mass market cruise plus specialty dining every night, plus unlimited drinks package!

I realize that the best food isn't going to be found on the cheapest lines, but I do need to stick to lines that have plentiful offerings under $100/night: Celebrity, Princess, HAL, NCL, Royal, MSC, etc. I'm not really feeling the love for Carnival, but they have great rates, so I'm still trying to keep an open mind. I've seen some good rates for Pulmantur and great rates for CDF, but only on itineraries where the airfare would be prohibitively expensive, so I would still be interested in hearing about experiences with those lines, but they are long shots. Same with Disney, they seem to never go on sale, so it isn't very likely we will cruise with them.

Celebrity century had soy milk in the spa cafe which is free to all passengers when we were on it March 2014.

The spa cafe has many fresh healthy foods. You might want to find out about that venue

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I have heard wonderful things about the food on Oceania, but unfortunately they don't have a kids club for my daughter. I am a single mom, so while I enjoy her company, I also want a break some of the time, especially on sea days.

And, of course, the cabin prices on Oceania cruises tend to be higher than the price of a mass market cruise plus specialty dining every night, plus unlimited drinks package!

I realize that the best food isn't going to be found on the cheapest lines, but I do need to stick to lines that have plentiful offerings under $100/night: Celebrity, Princess, HAL, NCL, Royal, MSC, etc. I'm not really feeling the love for Carnival, but they have great rates, so I'm still trying to keep an open mind. I've seen some good rates for Pulmantur and great rates for CDF, but only on itineraries where the airfare would be prohibitively expensive, so I would still be interested in hearing about experiences with those lines, but they are long shots. Same with Disney, they seem to never go on sale, so it isn't very likely we will cruise with them.

Though with a goo TA, Oceania prices can be brought down to rival Princess or Celebrity, there is the kid's club issue. When our daughter was "kid's club" age, there was no Disney Cruise Line. Our research at the time pointed to Royal Caribbean for the best kid's program. Food was okay for a young family with limited high end dining experience. But that was then and, now, I'd pass on most mass market cruises based on food reviews alone.

Sorry I can't be of more assistance.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 4 weeks later...

Definitely try Celebrity. Their "free" food is a cut above other cruise lines. If you can afford to cruise Aqua Class where you get a special restaurant called Blu for breakfast and dinner. The Spa Cafe for lunch is much better than the buffet, although ou can find some very good choices there, too. Also, the Oceanview Cafe (buffet) has sushi at 5:00 each day. Cafe al Bacio has soy milk for their lattes and has been stated earlier the Spa cafe had soy milk. I had a soy milk smoothie that was very good. The menus in the Main Dining Room and Blu mark dishes that are vegetarian/vegan, etc. you don't mention the age if your daughter. Celebrity does have a kids program, but they do not have things like climbing walls, ice skating rinks, etc. Celebrity is known as the gourmand cruise line so if you are focusing on ok'd you will be happier on Celebrity than other main cruise lines.

All cruiselines have a "special needs" dept.....so for those with allergies, you need to contact the ship beforehand, and let them know about dietary restrictions. They do an excellent job of substituting the offending allergens! Tell them you need soy milk, and they will have it for you...no charge.

Almost all of the mass market lines have similar menus....you can certainly find meals that aren't fried or greasy every day...every meal.

Think you're asking for extra n/c food other than the MDR or going to a specialty restaurant ... have to put in a plug for Princess for what you want that is not fried.

The IC (International Café) on the ships that have them has a tasty selection of tasty treats and is open 24 hours. What's offered depends on the time of the day.

Not big time pizza eaters but everyone tells us Princess pizzas are the best.

In Vines .... For the purchase of a glass of wine or ANY drink, there's sushi & tapas at n/c.

LuLu

I wouldn't recommend Carnival. Their food is cheaper and definitely greasier. Norwegian puts more money into their specialty restaurants, thus their MDR and Buffet food is usually not as good, though there were some exceptions when we went. We loved Celebrity and Royal Caribbean's food best so far. Royal Caribbean has lots of variety and Celebrity is very high quality.

Also keep in mind that some lines charge for their room service or certain menu items (RCCL for certain higher priced MDR items i've heard), while most others do not.

Edited by Canadian Cruiser98

Do you mean $100 total per night, or $100 pp plus tips,etc. If it's total, I'm afraid tour choices will be extremely limited.

Of the four lines we've cruised on, Royal Caribbean had the worst food. They also didn't take my food allergies seriously, and often suggested that foods I obviously couldn't have would be suitable.

Disney does go on sale, but generally only when school is in session.

• 1 month later...

I have read in many different articles that celebrity is the best cruise for foodies .. So I'm going to assume they have a pretty good variety/quality of food .. I've never been

I love the food on Disney .. You can see below which cruise lines I've been on.. I would never recommend the food on carnival or ncl ... They are both of very poor quality :(

Royal isn't bad for what you pay for and the specialty restaurant is pretty good, ncl specialty restaurant was still not very yummy :(

• 2 weeks later...