Venice - ship staying overnight

Southendweather

I think Venice is even more beautiful at night, especially after the crowds disperse and you're able to enjoy exploring the many canals and passageways in a more peaceful and quiet atmosphere. And don't be surprised if you get lost, most everyone does...finding your way back is part of the charm.

Gondola rides are wonderful, yet expensive so if it's not in your budget, definitely catch a vaporetto down the Grand Canal...lit up, it's incredible at night and may be far less crowded.

St. Mark's Square offers wonderful music by incredible outdoor orchestras. It truly is a gorgeous setting. Very touristy but definitely worth experiencing at least once and even sitting to enjoy an extremely over-priced cup of coffee or wine might just be well worth.

Enjoy!

As you're staying overnight, I should mention my second favorite time of day in Venice is early in the morning. Sunrise at St. Mark's Square is absolutely gorgeous. Our favorite hotel is nearby so I start there and then walk to the Rialto Market to watch the fresh fish and produce delivered. It's fun to watch the boats pull up and see the many unusual seafood offerings. It's a market like no other...the beautiful produce displays alone are worth seeing.

One other night activity is the Musica Palazzo where an opera is performed in one the amazing palazzos lining the Grand Canal. Each section is performed in a different room within the palazzo and the audience moves with it. Wine and refreshments are served during intermission. It was amazing and a great way to spend a cold, rainy night out in Venice.

http://www.musicapalazzo.com/language/en/

Edited by cadburysmom

We have gone off various ships when overnighting in Venice and have also gone out after dark many times when we were merely staying in Venice. As what to do, for us it is usually going out for a long romantic dinner. We follow the European tradition of dining pretty late (seldom earlier then 8) and with a long dinner we will often not finish our final after dinner drinks until well after 10. Even at that time of night DW and I enjoy walking around Venice. The city takes on a quiet magical glow late at night when all the day trippers are long gone, many others are already in bed, and the city is at peace.

Hank

I have been unlucky in my dinners in Venice, and seldom had one that I really enjoyed or thought was worth the money. So I would go and have a glass or two of regional wine at one of the many good little bars that you will see around, and some cicchetti (Venetian equivalent of tapas). Something else that can be fun in a touristy sort of way is to go and have a Bellini at the Danieli. I've never had more than one because they're €18 each!:eek:

Edited by lisiamc

I have been unlucky in my dinners in Venice, and seldom had one that I really enjoyed or thought was worth the money. So I would go and have a glass or two of regional wine at one of the many good little bars that you will see around, and some cicchetti (Venetian equivalent of tapas). Something else that can be fun in a touristy sort of way is to go and have a Bellini at the Danieli. I've never had more than one because they're €18 each!:eek:

You bring up a great point. Finding a decent restaurant (at a fair price) in Venice is a challenge. We have had good luck relying on info from our Venice Hotel (we like staying at Ca Doge pre or post cruise) about the current "places to go." If not using a recommended place we have a few simple rules. Avoid anything close to St Marks Square (we normally avoid that part of Venice anyway). Also avoid the places very close to Rialto, although we have stumbled on a few decent cafes within a few minutes walk of that area. The best meal we have ever had in Venice was at a seafood restaurant along a secondary canal about 10 minutes walk from the P. Roma. But alas, that place was gone on our last visit.

As to places like the Danieli, Harry's, etc. we will leave that to the "experts" with big bucks.

You bring up a great point. Finding a decent restaurant (at a fair price) in Venice is a challenge. We have had good luck relying on info from our Venice Hotel (we like staying at Ca Doge pre or post cruise) about the current "places to go." If not using a recommended place we have a few simple rules. Avoid anything close to St Marks Square (we normally avoid that part of Venice anyway). Also avoid the places very close to Rialto, although we have stumbled on a few decent cafes within a few minutes walk of that area. The best meal we have ever had in Venice was at a seafood restaurant along a secondary canal about 10 minutes walk from the P. Roma. But alas, that place was gone on our last visit. For those staying in Venice overnight, they might want to venture all the way out to Burano and dine at one of the decent seafood restaurants.

As to places like the Danieli, Harry's, etc. we will leave that to the "experts" with big bucks.

Edited by Hlitner

If you're in Venice try a Spritz as your drink. Also it depends what you consider a meal. We like to eat at little sidewalk cafes and have ImageUploadedByForums1438120221.946330.jpg.9bf17ba804715b1f40207016f2267a60.jpg a bite. We don't need a 3 course meal. That lasagna was so delicious. So was the pizza. The spritz was around 6 Euros I think the lasagna around 12.

After dark is the time to be in Venice. :cool:

All the trippers have gone, the heat of the day has gone, the place is quiet & relaxed.

Cadburysmom says early morning is a great time too.

I'll take her word for that ;)

JB :)

After dark is the time to be in Venice. :cool:

All the trippers have gone, the heat of the day has gone, the place is quiet & relaxed.

Cadburysmom says early morning is a great time too.

I'll take her word for that ;)

JB :)

JB, I knew there was a reason we are friends. We absolutely agree with all you say. As to early mornings, DW would not agree since she is sleeping :)

Hank