Tipping above suggested amount

Going by previous post, don't you know that everyone on CC tips way above extra?!;)

I wouldn't say that we always tip way above extra, but when the service we've received warrants it, we do add more.

I rarely tip more for my dining room staff. Most of the time we only make a few dinners in MDR to begin with. That being said, I have never not left the recommended amount. I have tipped my stateroom attendant more on many occasions, I can only think of 1 cruise I did not leave more, just the standard.

I always (with very few exceptions) leave an extra $1.00 for each drink I purchase. I know the 15% is included but I have found I get very good service from the same bartenders and I'm not drinking 100 drinks during the course of cruise (maybe 20-30...lol). That extra $20-$30 is not going to financially devastate me and I would prefer to tip extra than spend it in 3 minutes in a slot machine (although I have been guilty of that too).

On a recent cruise we never ate in the MDR. We threw the dining pre-paid vouchers in the trash. No reason to pick some random waiter to give them to. ;)

We gave our cabin steward $20 extra along with his voucher. He was cheerful and efficient. Why not? :)

We always tip extra. We also tip anytime someone brings us something, say coffee in the Windjammer. It's not a lot of dough, compared to what we already spend on cruising, and we enjoy doing it. Not to mention, the staff deserves it. If you can afford it, I'm sure the extra tips would be appreciated.

We always leave a couple of dollars in the Windjammer they work so hard. Also here and there at the bar. We always take good care of our cabin stewart, they really do alot.;) As far as the dinning room, we do MTD so if we get the same person every night we usually leave something extra (if they are good).

On a recent cruise we never ate in the MDR. We threw the dining pre-paid vouchers in the trash. No reason to pick some random waiter to give them to. ;)

We gave our cabin steward $20 extra along with his voucher. He was cheerful and efficient. Why not? :)

We have added cash in addition to the vouchers more often than not, even when we didn't eat in the MDR every night. To your statement that you threw away the vouchers for your wait staff, this is a situation that we faced on a recent cruise.

Last morning, can't find cabin steward to give him his tip. He had been wonderful the entire time. We were told that he was going home himself and was taking care of some paperwork, but would be back shortly. We decided to go to breakfast and returned to the cabin hoping to find him. After breakfast since it was time to leave, we decided to go to Guest Services, and asked for them to make sure he received his tip. I was asked if it was cash or vouchers and I told her that it contained both. She ensured me that my steward would receive his tip, but also informed me that even if I had not left the vouchers for him, he would have received credit for them anyway.

We have added cash in addition to the vouchers more often than not, even when we didn't eat in the MDR every night. To your statement that you threw away the vouchers for your wait staff, this is a situation that we faced on a recent cruise.

Last morning, can't find cabin steward to give him his tip. He had been wonderful the entire time. We were told that he was going home himself and was taking care of some paperwork, but would be back shortly. We decided to go to breakfast and returned to the cabin hoping to find him. After breakfast since it was time to leave, we decided to go to Guest Services, and asked for them to make sure he received his tip. I was asked if it was cash or vouchers and I told her that it contained both. She ensured me that my steward would receive his tip, but also informed me that even if I had not left the vouchers for him, he would have received credit for them anyway.

That's very nice of you. Since we never even entered the MDR...we didn't feel the need to leave extra. And we have tossed the pre-paid dining vouchers on the last 3 or 4 cruises for the same reason.

We really like the pre-paid option. The dining staff and cabin steward have been compensated according to the guidelines and we don't have to deal with it or hunt anyone down. We always leave the cabin steward gratuity on the bed before dining on the last evening of the cruise. I've NEVER tried to find them on the last morning. :rolleyes:

We do tip our favorite bar servers and Concierge and staff individually on each cruise. Is it extra?....I guess. :)

We have been pre paying our gratuities for several years......since they started MTD. We like the system, although we rarely use the dining room.

On the last night, we just hand the matre'd the envelopes. Since we don't know the waiters, I guess that they could go in the trash! I had not thought of that idea!!;)

Our cabin attendant always receives extra, as well as the bartenders, and concierge.

Rick

The vouchers are for those guest who don't like the pre paid option due to not having anything in hand to tip with the last night. From what I understand the voucher is more a thank you note as the money is transferred to the staff. That is the way I understood it to be but not 100% positive. A RC staff member explained that to me a few years ago when I complained about the pre paid program as I preferred to tip myself.

I hated that awkward feel moment of, "hmmm here is your voucher for your tip... Thanks for the service!" lolol

I am one of the heaviest tippers known to man. we are averaged income but I am a total sucker for good service. All of my friends and family make fun of me... including hubby. "You tipped HOW much?!" :rolleyes:

I see it as a fault of mine as does others but ohhh well... I get good service when I am a repeat customer though HA HA HA HA

I do something a little bit different that is very effective.

I give my cabin steward and main dining room waiter 50 bucks each on top of my prepaids on the first day of the cruise. I am usually travelling with a family of 4, and we have 2 adjoining cabins - so it really breaks down to only 25 bucks each.

I find that not only is the staff happy to get it, the service from then on out is impeccable. At the end of the cruise, I give them another 50 each (and of course give assistant waiter something too).

It truly works both ways with this method, they are happy and you receive service that is above and beyond.

So, what is all this “extra service” that people seem to be getting that makes them want to tip above the recommended amount?

The cruise line decides the recommended amount. Why does anyone think that the cruise line would low-ball the recommended gratuity?

It doesn’t cost the cruise line anything if they want to jack up the recommended tip.

And didn’t RCI bump up their recommended gratuities about a year ago?

And why is it that someone who really does work their butt off is completely left out of the recommended tip schedule….the room service person. And before you tell me that the room service guy gets shared money from the waiter, show me where that shared money arrangement is spelled out and exactly how much the room service guy gets from the waiter.

If the room service guy does get anything from a waiter for a delivery, how much could it possibly be? A dime?

But again, why doesn’t the cruise line recommend a dollar a day pp for the room service waiter right in the normal gratuities schedule?

I give my cabin steward and main dining room waiter 50 bucks each on top of my prepaids on the first day of the cruise. I am usually travelling with a family of 4, and we have 2 adjoining cabins - so it really breaks down to only 25 bucks each.

I find that not only is the staff happy to get it, the service from then on out is impeccable. At the end of the cruise, I give them another 50 each (and of course give assistant waiter something too).

It truly works both ways with this method, they are happy and you receive service that is above and beyond.

That’s interesting. Could you put a finger on exactly what this impeccable service would include?

I’m not saying that your system is wrong at all. I just wonder, since you mention it, What service do you get that other cruisers don’t get if they just pay the recommended at the recommended time?

So, what is all this “extra service” that people seem to be getting that makes them want to tip above the recommended amount?

The cruise line decides the recommended amount. Why does anyone think that the cruise line would low-ball the recommended gratuity?

It doesn’t cost the cruise line anything if they want to jack up the recommended tip.

And didn’t RCI bump up their recommended gratuities about a year ago?

And why is it that someone who really does work their butt off is completely left out of the recommended tip schedule….the room service person. And before you tell me that the room service guy gets shared money from the waiter, show me where that shared money arrangement is spelled out and exactly how much the room service guy gets from the waiter.

If the room service guy does get anything from a waiter for a delivery, how much could it possibly be? A dime?

But again, why doesn’t the cruise line recommend a dollar a day pp for the room service waiter right in the normal gratuities schedule?

I just assumed that everyone tips room service a few bucks every time they come...I know we do ..its only fair and not being cheap.

We always leave a couple of dollars in the Windjammer they work so hard. Also here and there at the bar. We always take good care of our cabin stewart, they really do alot.;)

I read about the cabin steward doing so many extra things just wondering what they might be

I never take night time service from my steward only morning service bed/toilet/shower and I am an avid save the waves person about the towels

Now that there is no ice no chocs on pillow I tell my steward I need nothing just leave my daily compass on my door postit I hope this helps to give him / her some more free time to get their work done earlier and spend time with their friends I have long got past the towels being made into monkey/dog/ etc

I rarely take room service but keep some dollars in the drawer for tips if I do but that is not my cabin steward who brings it

I think most people can recognize when someone is doing their job vs doing it well vs really trying their hardest. I think this perception that I have, that these people are trying so hard to get everything right, is what makes me want to tip above the recommended.

I think this is a great idea and I plan on doing this on my cruise. I have always found that if you treat folks well, they will do the same in return.

I plan on treating all of the crew with great respect and being friendly with them throughout my cruise. They work very hard to make my family's vacation an enjoyable one and are always very busy doing so.

Also, when they are very busy during the week and get to the point on making a decision on who they are going to do those "extra" things for or making sure things are done above and beyond, who do you think they will think of first? The person who barely talks to them or speaks to them in a rude or demeaning manner or the person who is friendly and who appreciated them with part of the tip at the beginning of the cruise?? My guess is that this poster was right on the "money" in knowing how to ensure that impeccable service.

And why is it that someone who really does work their butt off is completely left out of the recommended tip schedule….the room service person

They may be off the recommended schedule, but they have the advantage of "earn as you go" as well as receiving their gratuities in cash. Most people seem to tip around $2-3 for a small tray (coffee/tea) delivery, and around $5 for a large tray delivery. I am sure there are good tippers who pay more, and a few no tippers who probably balance out the extremes.

They always seem efficient, in a good mood, and in a hurry to get out, so I am guessing there are multiple earning opportunities per hour. From a room service waiters point of view, the tips are usually instant, so if somebody is not going to tip you, then at least you know straight away, rather than discovering your last "x" number of days efforts have been wasted.

It may (or may not) be, that the room service waiters share their tips within the wait pool generally. I don't care. We just go with the flow, pay the service staff the rewards they expect, and get on with enjoying being waited on hand and foot, because one thing is for sure, it won't be like this next week! :)

I tip ahead of time as well. And yes most times it ensures esspecially good service. No need to clarify what that is, it just is. If you have experienced good service you would know it when you see it. And when you are working for tips as a source of income, you are going to cater to those who make your bottom line.

Archived