Fishing off shore from ports

nildib

Leaving soon on the Norwegian Getaway 11/27th (Western Caribbean)... my husband loves fishing and was wondering if anybody noticed anybody doing off shore fishing on any of the ports? We were hoping to hear about ports like Costa Maya, Roatan, Conzumel and Harvest Caye. We're not looking to pay any excursions, guides or charter boats, we just wanted to hang off shore or find fishing piers and any Restaurants or Resorts next to the piers maybe able to cook your catch? Any suggestions? THANKS!!

I would start by googling "fishing piers" in each of your ports.... I'm pretty sure the "popular" beaches won't allow it, since the hooks can be dangerous to bare feet when there are bunches of folks around..
I already spent many hours googling "fishing piers" in the ports, they do come up but it's difficult to know which are the Resorts and Restaurants that are by it... :( I do understand how hooks can be dangerous on the beaches that's why I was trying to find the "fishing piers" or other beaches that are not so popular where it's permitted... :D

I already spent many hours googling "fishing piers" in the ports, they do come up but it's difficult to know which are the Resorts and Restaurants that are by it... :( I do understand how hooks can be dangerous on the beaches that's why I was trying to find the "fishing piers" or other beaches that are not so popular where it's permitted... :D

"Cook your catch?" Ain't gonna happen unless you do a charter and the crew cooks it on the way back to port.

Leaving soon on the Norwegian Getaway 11/27th (Western Caribbean)... my husband loves fishing and was wondering if anybody noticed anybody doing off shore fishing on any of the ports? We were hoping to hear about ports like Costa Maya, Roatan, Conzumel and Harvest Caye. We're not looking to pay any excursions, guides or charter boats, we just wanted to hang off shore or find fishing piers and any Restaurants or Resorts next to the piers maybe able to cook your catch? Any suggestions? THANKS!!

Ask the locals where the local fishermen go fish. Join them with a collapsible rod with spinning reel of 20/lb. If edible, have them prepared where they sell them.....for about 1/2 of your catch. LocoLoco1 Tom

Most foreign countries require a fishing liscence. In the picture above my friend and I are not peeing off the boat. We are stalking-sight fishing for Spots. It is fun.

nildib, that is considered fishing onshore. Offshore is aboard a boat and usually a ways out.

Edited by WupperAV

Ask the locals where the local fishermen go fish. Join them with a collapsible rod with spinning reel of 20/lb. If edible, have them prepared where they sell them.....for about 1/2 of your catch. LocoLoco1 Tom

THANKS, sounds like a good idea! My husband already has his collapsible rod READY to go, WE just don't know where to go! LOL :D

I read it in a post, that someone did get their catch cooked, just asking... or I can do it myself ceviche style =)

You really can't count on being allowed to bring your catch back on the ship. The only place in all my many cruises where we were allowed to bring the catch back to the ship, and have it prepared, was on a ship sponsored salmon fishing tour in Alaska.

You really should check on the fishing laws for the countries you will be stopping at. Many require a non-resident fishing license, even for shore or pier fishing. Heck, even FL requires one, as well as most US states. The penalties can be substantial.

Just sayin' ;)

Good Luck

• 2 months later...

Hi...its not about fishing, but saw your pics of a swim up bar in Costa Maya and my family and I would like to go. What's the name and where is it? I understand that it's easy to get there by cab...but I don't want us to sound like I don't know where we're going (which we dont...lol)

Thank you!

*TravelinFam "...swim up bar in Costa Maya and my family and I would like to go. What's the name and where is it?" When you come off the Cruise Ship, at Costa Maya, there's many shops you stroll through and right in center is the pool which is FREE to use and has a swim up bar, you can't miss it! They are also repairing the area to offer encounter with dolphins. :D

*TravelinFam "...swim up bar in Costa Maya and my family and I would like to go. What's the name and where is it?" When you come off the Cruise Ship, at Costa Maya, there's many shops you stroll through and right in center is the pool which is FREE to use and has a swim up bar, you can't miss it! They are also repairing the area to offer encounter with dolphins. :D

Great, thank you!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Forums mobile app