What's your favorite wine? What's all the hype about?

ettaterrell

We often rent a car for pre and post cruise days. If we have a car prior to the cruise, and are out and about, we typically stop at Costco a few items. Wine being one of them. We have found their Kirkland brand reds to be excellent value for money and we have always enjoyed them.

We often rent a car for pre and post cruise days. If we have a car prior to the cruise, and are out and about, we typically stop at Costco a few items. Wine being one of them. We have found their Kirkland brand reds to be excellent value for money and we have always enjoyed them.

So far, a cruise lines go, we have been impressed with Celebrity's choices in the mid range. Not impressed (disappointed) with HAL or RCI. Princess was in between. Cannot remember what NCL or Carnival were like so they were probably mediocre.

Edited by iancal

Before dinner, during dinner and after dinner? I am not a wine drinker but would love to be. I have tried a few but nothing yet has been "wow I see why Someone would like this". Do you drink different ones threw out a meal or just stick to your favorite?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Before, during and after and I don't discrimate on my grapes :) I love them all. You've had some really good advice on this thread. I love the taste, taste, taste. My husband wasn't much of a wine drinker before he met me.

It'll take time go find what you like and to find why you like it so you can find more in the same style. Food plays a major role too. I'm not a huge Pinot noir fan, but Pinot and wild salmon is a marriage made in heaven.

Attend some of the tastings on a ship and see if your local wine store does tastings.

Keep in mind that some wines need food, and while they shine with a good pairing, they are meh on their own. Taste, taste, taste and you'll begin to find what you like and don't, and what you love with the right food but don't really care for otherwise.

And again, I highly recommend the book Wine Folly which is a great primer and everything the average person will ever need to know about wine, what various varietals should taste like, what foods to pair them with. It's an easy read with a lot of full color charts and diagrams. It is not a big, bloated technical guide full of obscure junk that means nothing to the average enthusiast, it is what wine should be--FUN!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We went to a special meal in The Glasshouse, on a P&O ship, where each of the four courses was matched by a wine, with the maitre describing the combination, and something about the wine's origin.

Unfortunately we didn't write the names down- there was a Canadian pink champagne which was adored by all on our table.

We're going to do this again on the next cruise, but with pen in hand...:rolleyes:

The evening cost around £28, or about $45 (before the Brexit crash)

We went to a special meal in The Glasshouse, on a P&O ship, where each of the four courses was matched by a wine, with the maitre describing the combination, and something about the wine's origin.

Unfortunately we didn't write the names down- there was a Canadian pink champagne which was adored by all on our table.

We're going to do this again on the next cruise, but with pen in hand...:rolleyes:

Take your phone and snap a photo of the labels. :)

Was the pink sparkling a touch sweet? It was probably this one. I've heard P&O carry it.

http://www.peller.com/peller-estates/signature-series-ice-cuvee-rose.html

I agree 100%. Wine is overpriced at resturants as well.

Wine is WAY overpriced on ships...and I mean to the point of gouging......try different wines at home, to find what you like....and know that a "good" wine is one you like...being expensive doesn't necessarily make it "good"!

I agree 100%. Wine is overpriced at resturants as well.

With a few exceptions--Bern's is a notable one, although the cat is out of the bag and their best gems have been picked over. The earlier advice about the more expensive bottles usually having a smaller mark up is spot on. I am amazed at the price paid for the Tig--that's below frontline! Had a Silver Oak at Colombia for 5% over frontline a few years back. Not my favorite wine by a long shot, but the price was right so we ordered a bottle.

There's an app for that: https://www.vivino.com/app

Not sure it's really useful unless you are connected to the Internet. I have it on my phone but rarely use it. I have thousands and thousands of tasting notes in a series of moleskin notebooks representing subjective and objective observations on the best and the worst wines in the world, and mostly a lot of in between. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I got back from my cruise and only tried one wine that my sister n law had which was a moscato? It was nice but alittle to sweet so now I'm back home and my oldest goes out and gets me 2 kinds to try another moscato and a reslings. Again Moscoto was to sweet and it also had the bubbles (what is this called in wine terms?). I don't like the fuzzy feel with that kind of wine. Now the resling is pretty good! Not fuzzy/bubbles, not to sweet but it has alittle tart taste to it? (Makes the top of my mouth feel dry like eating an unripened banana)

What do I need to stay away from if I don't like the fuzzy or the tart taste? What do you wine drinkers call these things? I'm on a wine app that gives reviews and they are describing theirs taste in different wines but I'm at a loss! Besides when they say sweet lol. I am guessing this tart feeling would be dry?

What is another wine in should try knowing that I'm not fond of the overly sweet or the bubbles lol. Thanks and I hope y'all don't mind me asking questions!

Ok I got back from my cruise and only tried one wine that my sister n law had which was a moscato? It was nice but alittle to sweet so now I'm back home and my oldest goes out and gets me 2 kinds to try another moscato and a reslings. Again Moscoto was to sweet and it also had the bubbles (what is this called in wine terms?). I don't like the fuzzy feel with that kind of wine. Now the resling is pretty good! Not fuzzy/bubbles, not to sweet but it has alittle tart taste to it? (Makes the top of my mouth feel dry like eating an unripened banana)

What do I need to stay away from if I don't like the fuzzy or the tart taste? What do you wine drinkers call these things? I'm on a wine app that gives reviews and they are describing theirs taste in different wines but I'm at a loss! Besides when they say sweet lol. I am guessing this tart feeling would be dry?

What is another wine in should try knowing that I'm not fond of the overly sweet or the bubbles lol. Thanks and I hope y'all don't mind me asking questions!

Moscato d'oro (even a really good one) will generally be quite sweet. As for reislings, you haven't identified the type, winery, etc. After all, there are $5 to $50 Rieslings with origins from across the globe.

That said, let's make it easy for your next tasting of white wines:

Buy a bottle of Santa Margherita Pinot Grigio, which will run $17-$20. Not sweet but not ultra dry and no bubbles (I.e., sparkling wine). It's pretty much the readily available "standard" for Pinot Grigio. If you like it you could also try a Sauvignon Blanc, which is more "dry". Here, a readily available $15+\- example would be Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc (New Zealand). It doesn't sound like you're anywhere near ready to taste the difference in Chardonnays. So, steer clear for now.

Whatever you do, don't buy cheap wine. Perhaps I am over-generalizing but, from $15-$25/bottle, at least you're more likely to get something that suits your taste without breaking the bank.

If money is an issue, you could try one or two brands of boxed wine (yes-really) that will help you, at least, find your comfort zone. Of all the stuff in boxes, the only really decent box wines IMO are made by Bandit and Black Box.

Finally, let's throw you one curve ball: if you can find them in a store (otherwise purchase online from the winery), get a Rosé of Pinot Noir - either the regular offering from Navarro (Mendocino County) for under $20 or the "Estate" bottle from Martin Ray (Sonoma County) due out in February 2017 ($25??).

Let us know how it goes. And, again, try to avoid cheap wine in your quest to home in on a varietal and style.

Sounds like you were drinking a Moscato D'Asti. I don't usually serve that with food, I usually have it with dessert or to start the meal as a palate teaser.

So you don't like sweet or bubbles, did you like the tartness of the Riesling? Do a little googling on Rieslings as it varies wildly in sweetness. Don't just pick one up expecting to taste the same as what you had. A German Riesling will be a lot sweeter than an Australian one.

I'm not a fan of super tart, but maybe try a Pinot Gris. Not quite as tart as a Pinot Grigio. The grapes are picked a titch later.

Moscato d'oro (even a really good one) will generally be quite sweet. As for reislings, you haven't identified the type, winery, etc. After all, there are $5 to $50 Rieslings with origins from across the globe.

That said, let's make it easy for your next tasting of white wines:

Buy a bottle of Santa Margherita Pinot Grigio, which will run $17-$20. Not sweet but not ultra dry and no bubbles (I.e., sparkling wine). It's pretty much the readily available "standard" for Pinot Grigio. If you like it you could also try a Sauvignon Blanc, which is more "dry". Here, a readily available $15+\- example would be Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc (New Zealand). It doesn't sound like you're anywhere near ready to taste the difference in Chardonnays. So, steer clear for now.

Whatever you do, don't buy cheap wine. Perhaps I am over-generalizing but, from $15-$25/bottle, at least you're more likely to get something that suits your taste without breaking the bank.

If money is an issue, you could try one or two brands of boxed wine (yes-really) that will help you, at least, find your comfort zone. Of all the stuff in boxes, the only really decent box wines IMO are made by Bandit and Black Box.

Finally, let's throw you one curve ball: if you can find them in a store (otherwise purchase online from the winery), get a Rosé of Pinot Noir - either the regular offering from Navarro (Mendocino County) for under $20 or the "Estate" bottle from Martin Ray (Sonoma County) due out in February 2017 ($25??).

Let us know how it goes. And, again, try to avoid cheap wine in your quest to home in on a varietal and style.

Thank you so much this will help... I do think I like sweet just not as sweet as a moscato! Almost like drinking sugar lol.

This is the riesling I had that I liked the other day...

94e49f55c89b740a38936b712bc5dffd.jpg

Tonight my husband brought me this one and I didn't like it at all! Not sweet at all and I can't even describe the taste.

2a0c30050d45dff68313bad97582f14c.jpg

I also tried an Pinot Grigio and didn't care for it at all!

b5a93085dfb2ae49b5b1aa966f43c046.jpg

Husband told me I can't try this all in a week or we would go broke lol. I guess if it was one I would like it wouldn't be bad but now I have 3 bottles I don't like [emoji15]

Thanks again for the direction I will look into your suggestions.

Sounds like you were drinking a Moscato D'Asti. I don't usually serve that with food, I usually have it with dessert or to start the meal as a palate teaser.

So you don't like sweet or bubbles, did you like the tartness of the Riesling? Do a little googling on Rieslings as it varies wildly in sweetness. Don't just pick one up expecting to taste the same as what you had. A German Riesling will be a lot sweeter than an Australian one.

I'm not a fan of super tart, but maybe try a Pinot Gris. Not quite as tart as a Pinot Grigio. The grapes are picked a titch later.

This is the moscato I had, I will drink it but I won't buy again because it was so sweet... I do like sweet wine but this was very very sweet. This Riesling was pretty good.. and I will buy again but I was just wondering if there was something better I might like more. So I tried the two new ones (pics in above post) and didn't like either!

7ecc3376cac218bb3eee7ae4e0e0fad5.jpg

Edited by ettaterrell

Thank you so much this will help... I do think I like sweet just not as sweet as a moscato! Almost like drinking sugar lol.

This is the riesling I had that I liked the other day...

94e49f55c89b740a38936b712bc5dffd.jpg

Tonight my husband brought me this one and I didn't like it at all! Not sweet at all and I can't even describe the taste.

2a0c30050d45dff68313bad97582f14c.jpg

I also tried an Pinot Grigio and didn't care for it at all!

b5a93085dfb2ae49b5b1aa966f43c046.jpg

Husband told me I can't try this all in a week or we would go broke lol. I guess if it was one I would like it wouldn't be bad but now I have 3 bottles I don't like [emoji15]

Thanks again for the direction I will look into your suggestions.

If all you've liked so far is the Chateau St Michelle "Sweet Riesling," that's understandable. Typical for some folks new to wine to like things on the sweeter side. There are a lot of Germanic wines that have some sweetness to them. Too bad we didn't have this conversation before TG. One of the best wines for turkey is Gewurztraminer- just the right amount of slight fruitiness in a brand like Gundlach Bundschu (Sonoma County).

Just a note on your pix: these are all fairly low end wines. In fact, the only ones I've heard of are the St. Michelle and the Ménage a Trois. In all honesty, I'd toss the other stuff and focus on finding more of the Germanic types like Riesling and Gewurtztraminer. Forget about my other previous post recommendations for now.

If you've got a Costco, BevMo or Total Wine nearby, check with their wine person(s) on something better than the St Michelle and, perhaps, a little bit drier. If possible, look for California and New York Rieslings since they will be easier to find in varying locations. In fact, google Navarro (Philo, CA). This winery started with Germanic wines and they have sampler packages for sale or you can mix/match some of their recommendations (call them). Most of their business is mail order though you might try Total Wine or BevMo.

If your travels ever take you to Northern California's north coast (Mendocino County), do go to Navarro for tasting- I know you'll find something there you'll like.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

My wine experience started out with Boone's Farm, Annie Green Springs and Lancer, all in college. Progressed to Two Buck Chuck and now my palate tends to things like Opus One and Caymus.

OP, one thing you must remember is that a wine's taste changes dramatically depending on what you're eating. We just got back from a 10 course tasting menu with a wine pairing, and I can tell you, each wine tasted different from the first taste to adding it with the food. There were a couple wines that I didn't like when I first tasted them, but when I paired them with the food, those wines were exceptional and had wonderful flavors. Some wines just don't taste good when paired with certain foods, for example with strong cheeses, you really need a sweeter wine and not a dry red or white.

See this is above my level of class and sophistication, I was going to suggest to start out by going get a good drunk on Boones Farm or Mad Dog 20-20 or wish could go back to old days when we mixed cheap champagne and Ripple, and called it Champipple!

Had a good laugh at this! :D

For myself I prefer Moscato and other sweet wines, the darker the better.

This was the place DW and I were regarding wine a couple of years ago. I never cared for it. I started out doing some reading then picked up a few bottles of the different types. At one point I bought a more expensive bottle and a much less expensive bottle and we both preferred the less expensive bottle. We like the sweeter reds but they do tend to give DW a headache so we stick with whites- Chardonnay and Pinot Grigio. So now we drink wine on occasion but we are far from being wine experts (and have no wish to be).

What you need to do is buy a bottle of Creme de Cassis then, when you have an acid (to you) wine, you just make a Kir.

What, about 80% wine then top it up.

Lovely.

Living in France I have tried many wines and I like them all mostly. Trouble is, as I get older, they don't like me.

Have you tried a Chablis? Sauvignon?

I am a Cabinet d' Anjou person now. I love sweet wine as well. There must be something similar produced Over There:D